EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

It's all part of the ever-increasing creep of VAR, with it needlessly getting involved. The players have a shoving match, the ref sorts it out and everyone is happy, but then it zones in on a single isolated part of that. It's not some egregious act of violence, it's a shove.
Grabbing someone by the throat is a bit more violent than a wee shove IMO. It's as clear a red as you're likely to see.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
It's all part of the ever-increasing creep of VAR, with it needlessly getting involved. The players have a shoving match, the ref sorts it out and everyone is happy, but then it zones in on a single isolated part of that. It's not some egregious act of violence, it's a shove.

Grabbing someone by the throat is a bit more violent than a wee shove IMO. It's as clear a red as you're likely to see.

It's a non-event, the sort of thing that will happen on football pitches up and down the country every weekend. Because it gets slowed down and scrutinised in detail (and because it's a player who is already considered a loose cannon and folk are therefore happy to jump on), it looks a lot worse than it is. His hand is on his throat for about half a second and then he pushes him away. Making it out to be some scandalous violent act is Helen Lovejoy stuff.

13 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Saka seems to be the only shining beacon of hope in that team.

Not Tierney?

Saka and Nketiah have potential. Martinelli looked good before his injury. Willock and Nelson are mediocre. 

There is a lot of expensive dross in the squad. Pepe, Partey and Saliba (who can't get on the bench) cost around £150 million!

Arsenal are heading for a relegation fight under the inept Arteta. His selections, formations and tactics have been awful.

Time for a change!

Not Tierney?
Saka and Nketiah have potential. Martinelli looked good before his injury. Willock and Nelson are mediocre. 
There is a lot of expensive dross in the squad. Pepe, Partey and Saliba (who can't get on the bench) cost around £150 million!
Arsenal are heading for a relegation fight under the inept Arteta. His selections, formations and tactics have been awful.
Time for a change!

Tierney and nketiah i would agree with you there. Bellerin as well, although i think he’s not been as consistent since his injury. Artetas idea of shelling balls into the box is niave in that league. Especially considering the last two teams he has done it against are mourinhos spurs and burnley.

It's a non-event, the sort of thing that will happen on football pitches up and down the country every weekend. Because it gets slowed down and scrutinised in detail (and because it's a player who is already considered a loose cannon and folk are therefore happy to jump on), it looks a lot worse than it is. His hand is on his throat for about half a second and then he pushes him away. Making it out to be some scandalous violent act is Helen Lovejoy stuff.
I just think grabbing someone by the throat is far more violent than a shove. If I got a shove on the pitch I'd probably tell them to "f£ck off". If someone grabbed me by throat, regardless of how long they did it for I'd be at them.

Any footballer putting their hands on someone above shoulder height is asking for trouble anyway and get what they deserve.

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Tierney and nketiah i would agree with you there. Bellerin as well, although i think he’s not been as consistent since his injury. Artetas idea of shelling balls into the box is niave in that league. Especially considering the last two teams he has done it against are mourinhos spurs and burnley.

You're right about Bellerin but he has no competition. Soares only gets a game in the Europa League and the cups. Osei-Totu is on loan at Cardiff.

The central defence is a total joke. Chambers and Mari, like Saliba, are not in the EPL squad when they are fit. Yet Mavropanos is first choice on loan at Stuttgart who thrashed Dortmund yesterday. Soktratis, like Ozil, has been kicked out the EPL and Europa Leaguesquads. 

The amount of money that Arsenal are wasting on duds' wages must be mind boggling.

Nketiah will end up bouncing about teams like your Danny Welbecks of the world. Bellerin is poor, has been for years. Better off chucking it and giving the fashion his full attention. 

I said it at the start of the season Arsenal are mid table nonsense and was ridiculed. Amazing how its turning out to be absolutely right, again. 

I'll admit I've not paid too much attention to The Barclays in recent weeks so this may have changed but I've found it peculiar how Arteta has been given an easy ride from the press during his ropy tenure in charge of Arsenal.

Is it simply because he is a protégé of the Bald Fraud or have I been missing these signs that Arsenal are on the cusp of turning the corner?

You're right about Bellerin but he has no competition. Soares only gets a game in the Europa League and the cups. Osei-Totu is on loan at Cardiff.
The central defence is a total joke. Chambers and Mari, like Saliba, are not in the EPL squad when they are fit. Yet Mavropanos is first choice on loan at Stuttgart who thrashed Dortmund yesterday. Soktratis, like Ozil, has been kicked out the EPL and Europa Leaguesquads. 
The amount of money that Arsenal are wasting on duds' wages must be mind boggling.

Seems mental to have creative players like that available to you and not use them for whatever petty (and it will be) reason that they don’t. Especially when shelling baws into the box isn’t working, it would seem more sensible to have a player who could create chances through the middle of they teams.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Nketiah will end up bouncing about teams like your Danny Welbecks of the world. Bellerin is poor, has been for years. Better off chucking it and giving the fashion his full attention. 

I said it at the start of the season Arsenal are mid table nonsense and was ridiculed. Amazing how its turning out to be absolutely right, again. 

They have around 3 or 4 players who are top 4 standard I'd say. On top of that they have a style of play that looks so easy to play against - let them pass slowly side to side until they have to cross it. Any respectable Premier League side will eat that up. They have a complete vacuum in that attacking midfield area.

Arsenal are the biggest rebuilding job in the Premier League. I said at the time that he was appointed that Arteta would an appointment that would test the nerve of the Arsenal board because it will take years to see real progress given the state of the squad, and giving that time to someone with no track record is a huge gamble.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

He's far from their only problem, but Bellerin has invariably stunk the place out when I have watched Arsenal recently. 

Bellerin's form has dipped after his injury. He was also linked with a return to Barcelona. 

As I said earlier, he has no competition and Maitland-Niles seems to be second choice. Arteta clearly does not rate Soares who was bought as a cheap cover.

Arsenal have nine centre backs with Gabriel and Luiz as first choice. Yet they can't afford to bring another right-back to compete with Bellerin.

The transfer policy, recruitment and man management are abysmal.