EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Suppose you'd argue that the lad's toenail being offside was legit as well.
I'd be seething if I was Klopp tbh.
I've said since early last season that the EPL system of applying VAR to offsides has completely forgotten about the "clear and obvious mistake" part if it. If you need to take that long to decide if it was on or offside then I would suggest it wasn't clear or obvious.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

How is that possibly not a yellow card for either pulling McBurnie back (which Dean allowed advantage with) or then scything him down from behind, yet Berge gets a yellow for an innocuous clash? 

Didn't see the game, but if the referee plays advantage for a tactical foul like a pull then he can't subsequently go back and book the player - the basic argument is that you can hardly get a yellow card for preventing a promising attack if you in fact didn't actually prevent the attack.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Didn't see the game, but if the referee plays advantage for a tactical foul like a pull then he can't subsequently go back and book the player - the basic argument is that you can hardly get a yellow card for preventing a promising attack if you in fact didn't actually prevent the attack.

It's a difficult one to describe. The whistle was at his mouth to give the free kick as McBurnie was basically being hung off of but as they stumbled and lost balance/fell over, McBurnie got to his feet the quicker of the two took a couple more touches before he was then wiped out from the same player from behind. 

Berge was booked a few minutes earlier for a foul that was nowhere near as bad as either and come about due to a bad touch from himself. McBurnie never rolled about though. 

I understand what you're saying though, just very inconsistent refereeing. 

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I didn't know this. Always assumed a yellow would be given for any foul for which the referee played advantage, and would have given a yellow, had the play been stopped. Good to know. 

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Sheffield United's real problem is Ramsdale in goal, quite why they're running with a clown who couldn't even get a game for Bournemouth when they were shipping 150 goals a season is a mystery.

He was Bournemouth’s first choice goalkeeper and played nearly every game last season.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

I didn't know this. Always assumed a yellow would be given for any foul for which the referee played advantage, and would have given a yellow, had the play been stopped. Good to know. 

This was only changed this summer - what you described was the case until then. Obviously you can still get booked for an actual bad tackle even if the ref plays advantage, it only applies to yellow cards that are for tactical fouls.

40 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

He was Bournemouth’s first choice goalkeeper and played nearly every game last season.

Remind us all how that season panned out for Bournemouth's stint in the Premier League champ. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Andrew Driver said:

Quite.  Even watching this game in isolation you could see he his issues with commanding and decision making.   

Bournemouth were notorious with cracking attacking play and weakness at the back and this chumps the epicentre.   

The fact that he 'won' - i.e. Bournemouth downgraded - the position at the exact moment that they got relegated is the clincher here. They were always pretty useless at the back as a unit but as soon as they got the work experience kid back from AFC Wimbledon, lone behold their entire team sunk without trace.

Having a goalkeeper who can be counted to stop more than a reasonable percentage of chances is a huge boost to a team: far more than just the absence of obvious errors. Having a goalkeeper who is well below par is a crushing blow. Sheffield United played far better with Henderson in goal and got away with having terrible centre forwards not just because he was a more capable player at his job but because their defence had more confidence in what stood behind them to play their game as well. Now they're bricking it because they know that they have a Championship (at best) forward line and a Championship goalkeeper as well to deal with. No matter what they do, it's a losing battle and that sucks the confidence out of a team.

Edited by vikingTON

29 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

More irrelevance. 

Did he “get a game”? A simple yes or no. If the answer is yes (hint - it’s yes) then you should stop waffling utter cobblers. 

Irrelevance indeed.

Here's the quote that you're flailing at right now:

who couldn't even get a game for Bournemouth when they were shipping 150 goals a season is a mystery.

This is of course true: Bournemouth were indeed shipping a ludicrous number of goals every season with Asmir Begovic/Artur Boruc in goals, while Ramsdale was punted out to AFC Wimbledon and similar permadiddies.

The fact that they then selected your big mate Ramsdale in 2019/20 and got immediately relegated without a trace is in no way a credible counterpoint to this. 

Gutted for you.

ribery.gif.f72c25fe20b3dda7b063c9745e00b86a.gif

Edited by vikingTON

I've said since early last season that the EPL system of applying VAR to offsides has completely forgotten about the "clear and obvious mistake" part if it. If you need to take that long to decide if it was on or offside then I would suggest it wasn't clear or obvious.
Offside doesn't need to be a clear and obvious error - it's factual, you're either offside or you're not.