EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Just now, peasy23 said:
2 minutes ago, Slenderman said:
He clearly tried to clear the ball. Was mis-timed.

And he misses the ball and kicks Welbeck.

Suppose you'd argue that the lad's toenail being offside was legit as well.

I'd be seething if I was Klopp tbh.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

I must've missed the bit in the laws of the game which says you're allowed to kick opponents so long as it was a mis-timed clearance.

So, Andy Robertson (eyes on the ball) commits to a clearance. Welbeck comes to be in the way (when Robertson is already full swing).

Never was that a foul.

Whatever happened to "clear and obvious"

As I saw it, two players were going for the ball and collided, not a foul

Also, if you need as many 3D lines as they used to rule out Salah's first half goal, it's not "clear and obvious"

VAR as a concept doesn't bother me, but they way they are using it really grinds my gears

8 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

So, Andy Robertson (eyes on the ball) commits to a clearance. Welbeck comes to be in the way (when Robertson is already full swing).

Never was that a foul.

Welbeck's foot is close to the ball, if you don't notice that then mistime your clearance and kick your opponent I'd say that's a careless foul (Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed)

As for clear and obvious, if the referee speaks the VAR and his perception is different to what we can see on replay then that is a "missed incident" and can be reviewed. At least in this case the referee went to the monitor and made the decision himself.

Edited by Ginaro

Has Klopp ever thought that all the injuries in his side are due to how Liverpool play, train and prepare?
You do have to query the wisdom of a 34 year old starting his 3rd game in 7 days after playing the full 90 minutes in the previous 2.

Spurs have been playing Thursday and Sunday almost all season, no different from playing Wednesday & Saturday. Liverpool play Ajax on Tuesday so had to play today, there's no way playing at 12.30 instead of 3.00 makes that much difference, and no doubt if they were playing later that would also be a moan for being too close to Tuesday.

People arguing that they actually think that was an obvious penalty or bad defending or anything like that are surely at it? It's a minuscule clip of the foot which has absolutely no material impact on anyone, and if it wasn't for VAR it wouldn't even have been a talking point after the game as a possible penalty appeal. If folk are genuinely happy for that to be part of the game then I really don't know what to say.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

People arguing that they actually think that was an obvious penalty or bad defending or anything like that are surely at it? It's a minuscule clip of the foot which has absolutely no material impact on anyone, and if it wasn't for VAR it wouldn't even have been a talking point after the game as a possible penalty appeal. If folk are genuinely happy for that to be part of the game then I really don't know what to say.

He had a big swipe at the ball and missed it. How can that be anything else than poor defending?

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He had a big swipe at the ball and missed it. How can that be anything else than poor defending?

It only looks like a big swipe because of slow motion and reverse angles.  At the original pace it looks like two players going for the ball and clipping each other's feet