EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Bamford has had a decent start to the season but the chances he's missed tonight show that, at best, he's a backup striker at this level. I feel like he'll go through his career suffering from "Cameron Jerome syndrome" (too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League).

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Bamford has had a decent start to the season but the chances he's missed tonight show that, at best, he's a backup striker at this level. I feel like he'll go through his career suffering from "Cameron Jerome syndrome" (too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League).

lol wot

31 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It's the "Darren Huckerby Zone". 

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Maddison is just a terrific football player. 

He was. He's currently at a point in his career where his ego is above and beyond his ability and he is wasting the ball far too often either hanging on to it too long or trying stupidly aggressive passes. If he winds it in a bit he will be right up there again. 

lol wot
Bamford has 7 Premier League goals (6 of which came this season) in 33 Premier League games over the course of his career. He always scores double figures for top end Championship teams but has never really been able to make the step up. He had 2 very good chances last night and missed both of them.

I used Cameron Jerome as an example as he regularly scored double figures and won promotion from the Championship but was always rotten when he was in the Premier League. He scored 11 with Birmingham in 09/10 which is actually half decent but after that he scored 15 goals in 118 Premier League games over 6 seasons. Bamford looks to me like someone who could end up having a similar sort of record over his career.

Cameron Jerome didn't spend the last 2 years of his career improving markedly while working with Marcelo Bielsa. His goalscoring record is secondary to the work he does from the team in pressing from the front and bringing midfielders into play.

Cameron Jerome didn't spend the last 2 years of his career improving markedly while working with Marcelo Bielsa. His goalscoring record is secondary to the work he does from the team in pressing from the front and bringing midfielders into play.
Fair enough. I still don't see what's so ridiculous in suggesting that 2 strikers that have fairly similar goalscoring records at both levels *might* end up having similar careers.

38 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Fair enough. I still don't see what's so ridiculous in suggesting that 2 strikers that have fairly similar goalscoring records at both levels *might* end up having similar careers.

Because it removes all context of what is happening on the pitch and reduces football to statistics.

5 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
6 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

They don't have similar goalscoring records though.