EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

9 hours ago, ahemps said:

I agree you've picked out two flaws in his game. His diving was very bad and was never picked up by the media but Gerrard carried a very average Liverpool team for years. Do you think if you put Scholes or Lampard in that Liverpool team they would have won the Champions League??? Put Gerrard in they Man Utd or Chelsea teams and they would still have been successful.

For the record I would say Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard but I think it's close with Scholes and Gerrard, Lampard is comfortably 3rd for me. 

Carried them to where? 

He was an ever-present in a side who were by and large languishing about 4th and 5th. Only when they signed actual world class players like Xabi Alonso, Torres and Suarez were they able to compete for leagues or Champions Leagues (even then, winning just one). When they moved on, Liverpool competed for f**k all and their insistence on keeping Gerrard in a key role ultimately cost them a title.

A good player, but if he got the move he was angling for he'd have been found out.

On the subject of former England internationals and undeserved reputations, it was good to see Frank Lampard's attempts at football management take a beating again. Kepa being a useful dud (was he this bad under Sarri?) should also help keep the focus off him and allow the charade to continue a good bit longer.

Edited by AMMjag

9 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Carried them to where? 

He was an ever-present in a side who were by and large languishing about 4th and 5th. Only when they signed actual world class players like Xabi Alonso, Torres and Suarez were they able to compete for leagues or Champions Leagues (even then, winning just one). When they moved on, Liverpool competed for f**k all and their insistence on keeping Gerrard in a key role ultimately cost them a title.

A good player, but if he got the move he was angling for he'd have been found out.

He made them a competitive team even though at times in his Liverpool career they were very average. He played 114 international games, he played 129 European games scoring 41 goals for a midfielder. He was in the FIFA world team of the year 3 times, UEFA team 3 times, he also won UEFA player of the year along with several domestic awards.

He played at the highest level consistently and was highly thought of but you are saying that if he had moved to the likes of Chelsea (playing in the same league) he would have been found out as a poor player? So he looks good for a mediocre team but would look poor in a better side? You could say that about a Scott Brown or someone who never made a move to a higher level but Gerrard played his whole career at the highest level and was proven so how could he have been found out?

He regularly scored big goals in important games, world cup, FA cup final, Champions league last minute winners, CL final, winning goals at Old Trafford etc. Big players show it on the biggest stages and he consistently did that.

Zinedine Zidane and Pele both said he was the best player in the world in 2009....above Messi and Ronaldo (I don't agree with that but it is high praise).

I don't think he was the greatest ever but he is in the debate for the best midfielder of his generation, to say he would have been found out at another club is a very strange comment to make and there is no indication that would have been the case.

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't really see the point unless they have banned emergency loans for goalkeepers?

Have Chelsea left anyone out of the 25?  Possibly a case of might as well have him rather than an unused place?

Looking at the squads in general it just shows how ridiculously bloated nearly every side are for available players.  How we have managers complaining about playing too much is insane. 

33 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Have Chelsea left anyone out of the 25?  Possibly a case of might as well have him rather than an unused place?

Yeah but if they left the unused place and then got an injury crisis in goal, they could have got an emergency loan goalkeeper in. One who would presumably have, at least, been training and playing the odd reserve game for his club. Surely that would be better than phoning Petr Cech and asking him to turn up from the golf course or wherever retired footballers spend their spare time now?

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah but if they left the unused place and then got an injury crisis in goal, they could have got an emergency loan goalkeeper in. One who would presumably have, at least, been training and playing the odd reserve game for his club. Surely that would be better than phoning Petr Cech and asking him to turn up from the golf course or wherever retired footballers spend their spare time now?

He's a director of some sort at Chelsea. He's been training (or certainly was before Mendy was signed) with Arrizabalaga. 

17 minutes ago, JMDP said:

I particularly enjoyed the bit where Van Dijk appears to have been killed or at least permanently incapacitated:

"Wijnaldum said: “We are still devastated and I think this was different from normal. The way it happened was really hard for us. Everyone still has a really bad feeling about it. When we were speaking with the players after Saturday none of the players had slept because of what happened with Virgil and, as I said, the way it happened. It is a really hard one to take and a hard one for the team."

I think these c***s are actually worse than Celtic in the self pity/paranoia stakes. Fucking hell 😂