EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

7 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree you've picked out two flaws in his game. His diving was very bad and was never picked up by the media but Gerrard carried a very average Liverpool team for years. Do you think if you put Scholes or Lampard in that Liverpool team they would have won the Champions League??? Put Gerrard in they Man Utd or Chelsea teams and they would still have been successful.

For the record I would say Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard but I think it's close with Scholes and Gerrard, Lampard is comfortably 3rd for me. 

It's an age old question that everyone seems to disagree on. All 3 had their strengths but I think for the goals he scored from midfield you can't overlook Lampard who consistently scored 20+ most seasons.

I actually think you're right neither Scholes or Lampard would have dragged Liverpool to the Champions League, Gerrard's tenacity and never say die attitude was one of his greatest assets but that doesn't make you a better footballer. An incredible leader and a real shame he never won the Premier League. People forget how good Lampard was for a while. He was 2nd only to Ronaldinho in Balon D'or in 2005 or 2006 cant remember which year. 211 goals from midfield for 1 club, I know who would get the nod for my fantasy football team anyway.

9 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The faux out pouring of grief for VVD cause he plays for Liverpool makes me sick. If it had been an Arsenal player for example souness would just be calling them soft because they are *insert ethnic group here*

Its incredible. Twitter is full of folk demanding Pickford is banned for as long as Van Djik is injured for.

You'd think this was the first time a player had ever picked up a long term injury.

Yep, agree. The referee has had a mare but we can't just start getting into the habit of banning players because someone got seriously hurt as a result of their challenge. It should have been a red at the time but the ref saw it and made his decision. Things like this happen every single week and nobody bats an eyelid until a bad injury happens to a big player.

What a lot of nonsense this is. Pickford should be banned because it was a shocking "tackle" not because VVD got hurt.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

What a lot of nonsense this is. Pickford should be banned because it was a shocking "tackle" not because VVD got hurt.

Totally agree with this. I couldn't care less if VVD is injured or not but that challenge from Pickford was terrible and he deserves to be punished for it.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been punished at the time but the referee and VAR officials looked at it at the time and decided it was fine. It was a shocker and they've got it wrong but they have seen it and decided upon no action. Its literally in the competition rules that they can't take action beyond the point of the referee seeing it and deciding upon what action to take.

2 hours ago, Edith said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been punished at the time but the referee and VAR officials looked at it at the time and decided it was fine. It was a shocker and they've got it wrong but they have seen it and decided upon no action. Its literally in the competition rules that they can't take action beyond the point of the referee seeing it and deciding upon what action to take.

What is a bigger issue, and actually quite remarkable, is that the VAR officials who managed to miss it are refereeing an EPL game tonight! The lack of accountability is staggering.

I agree you've picked out two flaws in his game. His diving was very bad and was never picked up by the media but Gerrard carried a very average Liverpool team for years. Do you think if you put Scholes or Lampard in that Liverpool team they would have won the Champions League??? Put Gerrard in they Man Utd or Chelsea teams and they would still have been successful.
For the record I would say Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard but I think it's close with Scholes and Gerrard, Lampard is comfortably 3rd for me. 
I would add that Scholes was a right dirty b*****d that used to crunch into tackles, with the aim of hurting the opposing player.

After which Andy Gray would chuckle and say "oh ho ho, he's not a good tackler".

3 hours ago, Edith said:

It's an age old question that everyone seems to disagree on. All 3 had their strengths but I think for the goals he scored from midfield you can't overlook Lampard who consistently scored 20+ most seasons.

I actually think you're right neither Scholes or Lampard would have dragged Liverpool to the Champions League, Gerrard's tenacity and never say die attitude was one of his greatest assets but that doesn't make you a better footballer. An incredible leader and a real shame he never won the Premier League. People forget how good Lampard was for a while. He was 2nd only to Ronaldinho in Balon D'or in 2005 or 2006 cant remember which year. 211 goals from midfield for 1 club, I know who would get the nod for my fantasy football team anyway.

Aye, terrible.

6 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's absolutely the right decision. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I can see both sides here. I'm all for Pickford being banned for the tackle as it was horrendous. I think the issue is that the only reason it's being highlighted to anywhere near this extent is because VVD got injured. If he hadn't been injured but suffered the same tackle this would have been forgotten about by Sunday morning. On Twitter on Saturday I saw 3 examples of Pickford doing almost exactly the same tackle on different occasions in previous years, yet I (and I'm sure most people) weren't aware of them - probably because they didn't result in one of the league's best players getting a serious injury.

Like I say I agree people making tackles like that should be suspended, but in this specific incident I think if he were to get suspended it would have been because of the hysteria so I can understand people thinking that isn't appropriate.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The faux out pouring of grief for VVD cause he plays for Liverpool makes me sick. If it had been an Arsenal player for example souness would just be calling them soft because they are *insert ethnic group here*

Exactly mate. It’s the usual over-reaction from the population of ‘Self-Pity City’.

Just now, Gianfranco said:

That should have been a red card for Jimenez. VAR up to the old tricks again. Son was sent off for less vs Chelsea last season.

I thought that as well. How the referee gave the throw only to be overruled by VAR (I think, he pointed to his ear) and award Wolves a free kick for Jimenez trying to volley Koch's cock off is hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Only caught the second half but on the I think Leeds deserved a point at least. If they had someone like Jimenez up top they'd be much better off. 

I only watched 2nd half too but feel that Wolves have looked more dangerous in attack.

Been decent to watch compared to some of the crap that’s served up on Sky.