EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I realise it was yesterday, but I find the Sky (in particular) obsession with transfer deadline day in England to be pretty disgusting. 

Given the situation that the world finds itself in....and more mundanely, given the fact that lower league, non league and amateur clubs could well go to the wall...you would think that broadcasters could maybe dumb down on the celebration of obscene wealth that is deadline day.

But nope. It's the wankstain yellow ties and dresses, and it's the breathless reporting from training grounds as another £60 million player signs on for 100 grand a week. 

It's fucked up, I'm telling you.

Do you think so?

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I realise it was yesterday, but I find the Sky (in particular) obsession with transfer deadline day in England to be pretty disgusting. 

Given the situation that the world finds itself in....and more mundanely, given the fact that lower league, non league and amateur clubs could well go to the wall...you would think that broadcasters could maybe dumb down on the celebration of obscene wealth that is deadline day.

But nope. It's the wankstain yellow ties and dresses, and it's the breathless reporting from training grounds as another £60 million player signs on for 100 grand a week. 

#AMF

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Totally agree.  Its grotesque and will become ever more so in a rapidly changing world. 

On a related note, I was just reading about Arsenal making 55 staff redundant, while the very same club signed a player last night for £45 million on about 250 grand a week.  I'm not sure that sits very comfortably at all with me, and I think it should be illegal.

On 05/10/2020 at 14:48, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Obviously last night was a freak and they've spent a lot, but like the look of Villa this year. Defence is iffy but not many aren't in that league, but so well balanced in midfield and attack. Guys who can hurt you in different ways and almost all of them can dominate physically as the midfield did last night

Barkley is a tremendous signing for them, like the extra wee bit that will make everything else better and take so much pressure off Grealish.  Assuming he is interested anyway, which I think he will be, could give him a new lease of life.

On 05/10/2020 at 15:10, Mr. Alli said:

Christian Eriksen apparently getting hawked around every club in the PL so Inter can offload him on loan - they're apparently that desperate that they're willing to cover 50% of his wages. 

Nba Playoffs Reaction GIF by NBA

Who was it on here that said that he'd be best at Barcelona? 

I didn't say best. I said Barca need a bit of what he has and he would be cheap as chips so worth picking up.  He would be.

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Barkley is a tremendous signing for them, like the extra wee bit that will make everything else better and take so much pressure off Grealish.  Assuming he is interested anyway, which I think he will be, could give him a new lease of life.

Aye definitely. Him, Luiz and McGinn is a strong midfield. Luiz keeps them ticking over, McGinn is all action and as you say Barkley gives defences a creator other than grealish to worry about. Watkins looks at least a handful even if he doesn't score a bucket load over the season. Trezeguet I'm not sure about but at least he seems to stick wide so again another thing to worry about. 

I like that in the positions they've improved they've (largely) let last season's reserves go and kept last season's starters as backups too so the squad as well as the team is stronger 

6 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Why are you surprised? The whole premise is made up marketing shite. They've got hours of tv to fill, don't watch if you don't like it. I didn't, just looked up the news this morning.

Amazing shithousery at Arsenal. They say the pandemic has hit the club hard and pay off 55 people. They then pay £45m for one player. 

Their highest paid player who is being kept at arms length from the rest of the squad comes out and says he will pay the wages of the Mascot as long as he is an Arsenal player and how important he is to the team. 

14 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What has Ozil done wrong to be ostracised? I don't watch that many matches but he tends to look decent when I've seen him?

There have been various rumours in the media. One is that he's not willing to track back when the opposition have  the ball. IIRC he also refused to take a wage cut in the summer. It appears that Ozil is willing to sit in the stands this season, bank his £350k a week and leave on a free next year.

There have been various rumours in the media. One is that he's not willing to track back when the opposition have  the ball. IIRC he also refused to take a wage cut in the summer. It appears that Ozil is willing to sit in the stands this season, bank his £350k a week and leave on a free next year.

He should be dragged through the streets and shot like a dog if these are true

15 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Amazing shithousery at Arsenal. They say the pandemic has hit the club hard and pay off 55 people. They then pay £45m for one player. 

Their highest paid player who is being kept at arms length from the rest of the squad comes out and says he will pay the wages of the Mascot as long as he is an Arsenal player and how important he is to the team. 

Aye, they paid off 55 people to save the club £2 million per year.  Then deposited a cheque with La Liga for FORTY FIVE MILLION to activate Partey's release clause, and will be paying him around a quarter of a million a week.

Its disgusting and it should be illegal. 

Football is going to have to change, the disconnect between fans and clubs is now ridiculous.

At West Ham there could be legal proceedings about their lease at the Olympic Stadium organized by E20 and the LLDC. Here is a cutting from that article (link below)

In December 2017, a damning report into the mismanagement of London Stadium was published by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan. The report detailed what the London Assembly described as a “catalogue of errors” involving the transformation of the venue from an athletics facility into the home of West Ham.

In the report, Khan’s predecessor, now Prime Minister Boris Johnson, was heavily criticised for the role he played in the transformation process. The report found that the taxpayer had been left to foot an annual loss of around £20m (€21.9m/$25.8m) due to the mistakes made by the previous regime.”

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020/10/07/lldc-and-e20-commence-legal-action-over-london-stadium-lease-deal/

19 minutes ago, MacGafraidh said:

At West Ham there could be legal proceedings about their lease at the Olympic Stadium organized by E20 and the LLDC. Here is a cutting from that article (link below)

In December 2017, a damning report into the mismanagement of London Stadium was published by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan. The report detailed what the London Assembly described as a “catalogue of errors” involving the transformation of the venue from an athletics facility into the home of West Ham.

In the report, Khan’s predecessor, now Prime Minister Boris Johnson, was heavily criticised for the role he played in the transformation process. The report found that the taxpayer had been left to foot an annual loss of around £20m (€21.9m/$25.8m) due to the mistakes made by the previous regime.”

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020/10/07/lldc-and-e20-commence-legal-action-over-london-stadium-lease-deal/

How's this £20 million loss per year arrived at?

The reason that he gave for refusing to take a pay cut is absolutely spot on though so fair play to him.