FM21

ajwffc

After a stellar second season with Boreham Wood in the National League, finishing 3rd (missing out to Notts County for the title on the last day of the season, drawing 1-1 with them) and reaching the FA Trophy semi-finals. I secured the big prize by winning the playoffs and securing promotion to the Football League.

Freshly announced as the National League Manager of the Year and with mere weeks left on my contract, I stuck in an application for both the Ayr and Lincoln jobs. Nothing against Boreham Wood, I just don't fancy the season of absolute shoeings they're going to take next season. Ayr weren't interested and went for Stuart McCall instead; their loss. Lincoln offered me an interview, despite having reservations about my lack of experience in saving teams from relegation. This is the same Lincoln who were relegated from League One the season before and are looking for someone to take them back up after a 9th place finish in League Two this season. They offered me a one-year deal with enough scope in both the transfer & wage budgets to have a real crack at getting promoted this year. I snapped at the chance.

Squad is full of deadwood; either players who simply aren't good enough for this level, or players well into their 30s but among the club's highest earners. First order of business is shifting all of the above...

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Ha. How many missed? 

Was getting beyond a joke for me with penalty misses. Stars don't seem to matter. I googled it and it seems loads of folk online use their goalies.

My penalty miss rate is incredible. Is there any way to check the penalty stats? I'm positive across 10 seasons (5 of which I've been the best team in the world, give or take) my success rate is less than 50%. Anyone who takes my penalties has at least 15 for penalties and composure.

9 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

My penalty miss rate is incredible. Is there any way to check the penalty stats? I'm positive across 10 seasons (5 of which I've been the best team in the world, give or take) my success rate is less than 50%. Anyone who takes my penalties has at least 15 for penalties and composure.

I'm the same.

Had to take Lewis Ferguson off penalties and he has high stats for both. Using my newgen who has 9 for pens and the same composure as Ferguson. He has a better conversion rate.

Just dropping in to give my update. I don’t have the technical knowledge to add screenshots. 

I’m probably going to be retiring in this Kilmarnock save soon as I’m in season 2031-2032. This game came out on Xbox on 1st December and my total game time right now is 8 days, 5 hours and 24 mins. So I’ve pounded a fair bit of time into it.

I seem to have finally cracked the Celtic dominance. After they made it to 16 in a row both me and Sevco have picked up the last 5 titles. 4 for me and 1 for them. I was able to just constantly improve performances with finishes of 7,7,4,3 and then just continually being second to Celtic until I overtook them recently. I’ve now made the Champion League knockout stages the last couple of seasons and lost on penalties to eventual winners Chelsea in the quarters in my most recent season so I think I’m not far away. Once I win the CL I think that will be it for me.

In Scottish football there haven’t been any huge surprises other than the fact that Queens Park have become the new Hamilton. They are battling for survival but staying up. Been in the top flight for the last 6 years.

Motherwell have been the biggest losers with them and Hamilton regularly being relegated or fighting for Championship promotion.

Scotland had limited success in the earlier years of my save which wasn’t a surprise with Ian McCall in charge for 5 years. Alex Neil is now the manager though and with Kilmarnock, Hibs, Celtic and Rangers wonderkids to choose from made it to the QF of the 2030 World Cup.

On the subject of wonderkids that has been the main recipe for my success. Gavin Clarke especially was a player who came to my attention as a 17 year old in my youth system who Inter Milan and Arsenal tried to buy. I put him straight in the team on a 5 year deal and he has scored over 150 goals for me now. 

The other thing to really call out is the dominance of Kilmarnock, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. This top 5 have really broken away from the rest of the Premiership consistently every season. Normally 5th place is around 10-15 points clear of 6th. 

On 30/01/2021 at 23:28, Connor1874 said:

I'm with you mate. Had a few on the go and had some fun, but nothing really drawing me in. Found myself at a crossroads where the tactics that get me results aren't particularly fun, and the tactics I find fun aren't very effective. Playing FM should be fun, and trying to scrape out 1-0's and 2-1's every week isn't fun at all.

Have to disagree. I've been playing FM17 and took arbroath from League 1 to 3 times CL winners and it's so, so boring now. I absolutely loved when I was newly promoted and every game was massive, with something as simple as switching up corner routines in game to snatch a point. I can still remember the last minute winner at Firhill that secured top 6 for us and tbh it's been hollow since then.

20 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Have to disagree. I've been playing FM17 and took arbroath from League 1 to 3 times CL winners and it's so, so boring now. I absolutely loved when I was newly promoted and every game was massive, with something as simple as switching up corner routines in game to snatch a point. I can still remember the last minute winner at Firhill that secured top 6 for us and tbh it's been hollow since then.

This.

I had a great save where I spent about 20 seasons establishing Saints as a top 6 side, then slowly trying to become the 3rd force. Pure joy when we secured it at last.

Utterly ruined that Summer by signing a God level winger who banged in 20 goals a season and set up another 20 as we won the treble undefeated. 

Such an anti-climax.

21 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Totally get what you're saying. There's a very fine line in gaming between realism and fun. It's the main thing that's put me off FIFA these days. Even on FM21, I had a save that became very anti-climatic, almost instantly. I wanted to replicate the success of Midtjylland in Denmark, but with Sonderjyske, and absolutely pissed the Danish title in my first season, despite me having a 3-5 year plan with the title being the sort of end goal. Then 2nd season though, I struggled massively. 

I'm all for a challenge, but I fail to see the rhyme or reason in it sometimes, and I just don't get time to get so engrossed in my season's that I can micro manage my tactics. Half the time when I'm playing FM, I'm sat watching TV with my missus as well, so I'm only engaged, but not fully 100%. That's on me, I know, but I'm finding it difficult to get into this FM partly because of that.