FM21

ajwffc

On 27/11/2020 at 09:48, C. Muir said:

Queen's Park have Danny Fox, Steven Whittaker and Christophe Berra in their defence! Fox is on 2.2k a week. My highest earner is Goodwillie on £500 :lol: 

Now in the January window they've added Jordan Rhodes 

Edited by C. Muir

On 28/11/2020 at 00:09, senorsoupe said:

I'm struggling to get into this years FM.  Started a save with Kaiserslautern but haven't found myself all that motivated to play much at the moment.  Played 2 competitive games (1 DFB-Pokal and 1 3.Liga) and lost both 2-1 to late goals.  My team appears to be full of players on the Leigh Griffiths fitness regimen

Downloaded it on Friday and I'm the opposite! Almost phoned in sick today to carry on playing. Was about to say I think the match engine is the best they've ever done but...

14 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

af1449ef2a5d201e2b5a1fa76570abe0.gif

I've just conceded this goal. 

:lol:

The first season in Scottish lower leagues is a fucking slog, despite being shorter. Started at Dumbarton, I only had 1 domestic loan space available and £500 spare in wages. We've played 22 games and I'm level with Cove on 46 points at the top of the table. Falkirk sitting 4th about 15 points behind and Thistle are mid-table mediocrity. Peterhead are the dark horse in third, they've got Steven Boyd and Kieron Bowie scoring barrowloads for them, thankfully they have a defence who ships just as many though. I've set all but 6 of my current players for release in the summer with Steven Boyd, Chris McStay and a young winger from Rangers coming in on pre-contracts, but hopefully I can win the league and build the rest with a Championship budget.

Some aspects of the game is taking some getting used to. I love the match engine but I hate the screen when there's no highlights, there's too much info and I don't know what to do with half of it. I thought FM20's in match screen was perfect - it was clear, clean and displayed all the basic info you needed. All these xG/xA graphs can get in the bin, need a fucking degree in data analysis to understand it. Not sure the body language stuff is actually worthwhile either, but I have enjoyed "thrashing my arms about" after defeats. Ryan McGeever also got a good finger pointing after a calamitous error. As others have said, it's quite difficult to understand whether your squad are frustrated/happy with how the game's going etc. and the icons are definitely introduced for complete simpletons, it's a shame they've dumbed down things like that and added the wanky stuff like xG that only geeks understand or care about.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Downloaded it on Friday and I'm the opposite! Almost phoned in sick today to carry on playing. Was about to say I think the match engine is the best they've ever done but...

:lol:

The first season in Scottish lower leagues is a fucking slog, despite being shorter. Started at Dumbarton, I only had 1 domestic loan space available and £500 spare in wages. We've played 22 games and I'm level with Cove on 46 points at the top of the table. Falkirk sitting 4th about 15 points behind and Thistle are mid-table mediocrity. Peterhead are the dark horse in third, they've got Steven Boyd and Kieron Bowie scoring barrowloads for them, thankfully they have a defence who ships just as many though. I've set all but 6 of my current players for release in the summer with Steven Boyd, Chris McStay and a young winger from Rangers coming in on pre-contracts, but hopefully I can win the league and build the rest with a Championship budget.

Some aspects of the game is taking some getting used to. I love the match engine but I hate the screen when there's no highlights, there's too much info and I don't know what to do with half of it. I thought FM20's in match screen was perfect - it was clear, clean and displayed all the basic info you needed. All these xG/xA graphs can get in the bin, need a fucking degree in data analysis to understand it. Not sure the body language stuff is actually worthwhile either, but I have enjoyed "thrashing my arms about" after defeats. Ryan McGeever also got a good finger pointing after a calamitous error. As others have said, it's quite difficult to understand whether your squad are frustrated/happy with how the game's going etc. and the icons are definitely introduced for complete simpletons, it's a shame they've dumbed down things like that and added the wanky stuff like xG that only geeks understand or care about.

In fairness to the match engine, I’m currently one of the poorer sides in the Andorran top flight, and that’s my second choice keeper so it seems like a thing that could happen.

The xG thing is slightly irritating. I don’t mind them having it in, I’d just rather my assistant didn’t tell me about it every 3 seconds. And I don’t understand how they calculate it, I see guys miss absolute sitters and it goes up by like 0.04... I get that it’s to measure the quality of chances created (I think) but seems a bit much.

The other thing that’s really, really annoying me is the “media liaison officer” or whatever they’re calling them popping up at the end of press conferences. I’ve never seen them say anything apart from “I think it went fine.” What’s the point in having them? I know it went fine, and press conferences have no impact whatsoever on the rest of the game anyway, as far as I can tell. 

In fairness to the match engine, I’m currently one of the poorer sides in the Andorran top flight, and that’s my second choice keeper so it seems like a thing that could happen.
The xG thing is slightly irritating. I don’t mind them having it in, I’d just rather my assistant didn’t tell me about it every 3 seconds. And I don’t understand how they calculate it, I see guys miss absolute sitters and it goes up by like 0.04... I get that it’s to measure the quality of chances created (I think) but seems a bit much.
The other thing that’s really, really annoying me is the “media liaison officer” or whatever they’re calling them popping up at the end of press conferences. I’ve never seen them say anything apart from “I think it went fine.” What’s the point in having them? I know it went fine, and press conferences have no impact whatsoever on the rest of the game anyway, as far as I can tell. 
xG can get in the fuckin sea in general. An absolutely meaningless start
Has everyone got rid of brexit then? How do you do it?

I started a game with rangers and have cuffed everyone so far. Thinking about an airdrie game and see if tam robert can take me up..
There's a mod that turns it off. Think it's on the steam workshop, if not it's mentioned earlier in this thread

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

xG to me is like that wee match tracker you get on betting apps - utterly pointless and largely misleading. The betting app might tell you your team has had 23 "Dangerous Attacks" but that means absolutely f**k all in terms of chances or goals, it just means the ball was up that end of the pitch. Likewise, your xG could be high, you're creating chances and getting shots on target, but still lose 1-0 to a breakaway. I just don't know what any manager is supposed to do with the info.

Aye, agree on the media stuff, I know they'll never remove it from the game but I feel they could strip it back. There's no need for pre-match/post-match press conferences every week, fair enough for big cup games or derby games but largely that could be cut out of the game. If you attended every meeting/press conference it would take up a huge amount of time and the only thing it improves is your managers handling of the media stat, which never really prevents you from getting a job anyway. 

I think Xg is supposed to give you an indication of if e.g. you've been utterly robbed by a diddy team in the cup with their only shot on target. But you'd see that in the stats anyway, right?! I also don't like the during match screen, and the dragging system for changing players is shite. 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

I started a game with rangers and have cuffed everyone so far. Thinking about an airdrie game and see if tam robert can take me up..

I kept it on.

Does this game seem to progress quicker in-between matches for anyone else?

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Signed a player from Espanyol in my Hibs save who's Spanish but couldn't sign another player who's Spanish from Zaragoza due to work permit issues. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

19 hours ago, C. Muir said:

At the half way stage in season 2 and it's plodding along nicely.

image.png.a0b9d118242c5666db5f680888906b66.png

Just thought I'd do an update now to show everyone how good a positiion I was in before the inevitable bottle job. 

image.png.e6ca11b54cf072e4825ac40b6023d699.png

Fucking hell. 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I kept it on.

Does this game seem to progress quicker in-between matches for anyone else?

The speed of the game is hugely improved for me, I've got about 8 or 9 countries added and there's barely any waiting time. One thing I noticed was how quickly the auto-save works this year too, it's literally a few seconds now whereas I found last years could pause for a minute or so.

Edited by The Moonster

Still not found a good mega kitpack, and now I'm on the lookout for a stadium pack after downloading a skin that has teams stadiums on their home page. Looks stupid blank and I don't want to copy over last years stadium pack as presumably it'll still be Brentfords old one. So petty I know :lol: 

Edited by C. Muir

48 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Still not found a good mega kitpack, and now I'm on the lookout for a stadium pack after downloading a skin that has teams stadiums on their home page. Looks stupid blank and I don't want to copy over last years stadium pack as presumably it'll still be Brentfords old one. So petty I know :lol: 

If you Google "rensie FM21 skin", you should end up on the SI forum where he links to a stadium megapack, I'm sure. Spotted a mention of one earlier.

Scrap that, was on Twitter.

Edited by RandomGuy.

For those who just can't be arsed with all the bells and whistles of the full FM, the Touch version is released tomorrow. Much prefer it for long term saves. The full game just grinds me down after an hour or 2.

I haven't played a lot of 21 so far while waiting for the Touch version. Only thing I really like about the main game, is the custom databases. Had a wee bit of fun playing in the Lithuanian league, but once Touch is out, I can't really see me going back to it.

I downloaded another Scottish pyramid last week while waiting for Mozza's. It's quite interesting as it's sort of modelled on the English system. 4 divisions of 20 teams, and the prize money is modelled on England too. Not overly realistic, but seemed like good fun. As delighted as I was to find Musselburgh Athletic included in his setup, I've just got frustrated with it as I need to build a whole squad and literally have no wage budget to do so. I've got £800k transfer budget for some reason, but despite that, the board won't let me reallocate it. Annoying.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you Google "rensie FM21 skin", you should end up on the SI forum where he links to a stadium megapack, I'm sure. Spotted a mention of one earlier.

Scrap that, was on Twitter.

Cheers anyway but thats the one I was using in FM 20. 

Probably will still just transfer the files over till one for 21 comes out. Seeing Brentfords old stadium instead of their new one will be more tolerable than seeing no stadiums at all on this skin, I've decided. I like the skin but the big blank gap where the stadium should be just looks stupid.

Edited by C. Muir

After all that Brentfords new stadium is in last years pack, even if its an animated photo 😂

image.thumb.png.31ef8e6fadb391268f135937b8e40224.png

Also just realised Stevie G is their gaffer

I've also just bit the bullet and downloaded kit packs individually. No doubt a megapack will land tomorrow or something now. 

Edited by C. Muir

Started season 2.

Usually in FM, if you have a good season, you build on what you have. Try and keep momentum going with only one or two minor squad improvements.

Having a miraculous first season and finishing 3rd, the board have given me £950k to spend and sold Lee Erwin and Jamie McGrath for another £750k, so I haven't done that...

image.png.6a659412dd2ad995318cae22049fdfa0.png

Some of my highlights:

Jamie Hamilton from erm...Hamilton. £82k relegation release clause in his Accies contract. Unfortunately had to compromise with a £550k minimum fee clause which was almost a deal breaker but I'll get him on a better deal ASAP.

image.thumb.png.3ba0fdddd8e698c55b007aa335518734.png

Stuart Findlay on a freebie - Couldn't come to terms with Killie and much like Stephen O'Donnell last season, took his chances roaming the free transfer market in search of his big move. Unlike Stevie though, Stuart got his. ;) 

image.thumb.png.c8210d7a22ba3c68edf4e53111c78fbb.png

Esmael Goncalves - Free from Chennai. Return of the king. Despite 19 new faces in the summer, my search for a striker bore little fruit until nearer the end. Isma coming back having just turned 30 is a no brainer. 

image.thumb.png.9ecc4e7b901565413c302aa73bd5a744.png

Ali Yavuz Kol on loan from Galatasary. After my Isma coup this guy showed up on my scout search and cost me nothing. Nada, not a penny. Galatasary so talent rich that they let a £7m rated footballer leave on loan for a season with no obligation to play him, pay him or pay his club. Free real estate. Oh and he's showing up very well.

image.thumb.png.b4b3766c8f37d10ad8d7dccd8a0ad929.png

Finlay Robertson - £500k (plus £1.2m in add ons that I may never pay) - Dundee. But he's worth about £2m I hear you say. Correct. He is but Dundee finished 10th in the first season and the drop to league one led to him asking to leave. Dundee initially wanted 1.2m for him and I managed to wangle my way to giving them £500k in cash and £1.2m on the never never (£600k if he gets 20 Scotland caps and £600k if we qualify for the CL). By time either of those happen, I'll be able to afford the extra cash. ;) 

image.thumb.png.06d9b01c71cfb32dff90d716c05938fb.png

Rodrigo Gomes £675k (£250k up front, the rest over next 3 seasons) - Braga. A last minute replacement as I'd recently had my budget boosted by selling Erwin and McGrath. This lad came on the radar a week of so before selling the other two as Braga are my parent club and I'd had them scouted. Initially I was going to try and loan him for the season but as the budget had been expanded, I decided to go and blow it all in the one shop, seeing as if he had a good season on loan, I'd be pricing myself out of him anyway. Bit of a risk to be fair but might as well go big or go home!

image.thumb.png.5bdd638ad8433cda82f124fb0c9d61f2.png