FM21

ajwffc

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

Unless theres a dramatic rewrite of the game - which there wont be - I think this is going to be the first time in nearly 30 years that I wont bother getting it :( 

I realise you may not buy FM21 but people say this every year, then buy upon release.

I really enjoyed FM20, mainly due to lockdown. I've never watched a second of highlights or the like though

39 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I realise you may not buy FM21 but people say this every year, then buy upon release.

I really enjoyed FM20, mainly due to lockdown. I've never watched a second of highlights or the like though

I think I said it last year and ended up caving. I played so little of 20, though, that I just cant see me bothering this year. I played less of 19 than any other years and the features they added to 20 did nothing to improve the game. Its looking like 21 will be more of the same

I usually buy this every year in the hope of it grabbing me again, and given it's usually not the price of a AAA game, I don't mind giving SI the benefit of the doubt given they usually give a decent product (even if it's one I can never quite get into).

This year though, I've latterly gotten into 20 more than any version since 17.  Not perfect by any means, but I'm enjoying it, so will definitely pick up 21 whenever it appears.

On 15/08/2020 at 07:26, ajwffc said:

Game is still due to be released this year but will be closer to Christmas. Covid will not be in the game but they should have the temporary changes to leauge structure in it.

As far as I know they haven't confirmed this either way.  Or at least haven't confirmed to what extent it will be.  I doubt we'll see players get infected, but I'd say having all the structure changes effectively means it is "in" without actually affecting people.

Edited by forameus

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Best thing that they could do is offer a cut price data update and concentrate on proper changes for fm22. 

No chance, they need the income surge every year.

SI aren't remotely comparable to EA/Konami, they couldn't maintain their company without a year of income from their biggest game.

Best thing that they could do is offer a cut price data update and concentrate on proper changes for fm22. 
That's a good idea. They could do a data update, add a few meaningless features and tweak the graphics a bit...... oh, wait.
No chance, they need the income surge every year.
SI aren't remotely comparable to EA/Konami, they couldn't maintain their company without a year of income from their biggest game.
Give the money they make off fm each year and the lack of money they shell out for research you'd have to question why they're living one year to another.

It comes up every year but I still think a subscription model would produce a far better game.

Just now, Mr X said:

Give the money they make off fm each year and the lack of money they shell out for research you'd have to question why they're living one year to another.

It comes up every year but I still think a subscription model would produce a far better game.

They seemingly spend an absolute fortune on staff to sit and program the game every year. Add in licences, data taken from other sites to help build the database and advertising etc., and their yearly revenue is around £20m. 

Sounds a lot, but EA make £5bn in the same time.

Miles Jacobson always says that monthly subscriptions wouldn't work as they need to plan in advance. Sales this year then calculate how much they can do next year etc., and its hard to forecast that when people are coming and going monthly.

They seemingly spend an absolute fortune on staff to sit and program the game every year. Add in licences, data taken from other sites to help build the database and advertising etc., and their yearly revenue is around £20m. 
Sounds a lot, but EA make £5bn in the same time.
Miles Jacobson always says that monthly subscriptions wouldn't work as they need to plan in advance. Sales this year then calculate how much they can do next year etc., and its hard to forecast that when people are coming and going monthly.
If they spend so much on development you'd think they'd actually be able to improve it game each year.

Monthly subscriptions clearly dont fit their current business model but plenty of other big games manage it. It would mean changing the way they work and budget and their development life cycle, but that's kind of the point.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

If they spend so much on development you'd think they'd actually be able to improve it game each year.

Monthly subscriptions clearly dont fit their current business model but plenty of other big games manage it. It would mean changing the way they work and budget and their development life cycle, but that's kind of the point.

Yeah I'm not going to argue about it tbh, the development has slowed down a lot and it feels like they spend time developing things nobody wants, while leaving integral bits bug filled.

Just trying to explain why its unlikely they'll "skip" a year like PES, or go to monthly.

Yeah I'm not going to argue about it tbh, the development has slowed down a lot and it feels like they spend time developing things nobody wants, while leaving integral bits bug filled.
Just trying to explain why its unlikely they'll "skip" a year like PES, or go to monthly.
Yeah, fair enough. I agree it's not going to happen.

On 15/08/2020 at 10:41, Mr X said:

Unless theres a dramatic rewrite of the game - which there wont be - I think this is going to be the first time in nearly 30 years that I wont bother getting it :( 

I've barely played FM20 due to the state of the match engine. I won't be buying on release since really nothing is really fixed until the last patch. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got to say that I'm starting to really dislike FM20.

I changed PCs about 6 weeks ago. Reinstalled FM20. I've gone from absolutely pissing the game with whatever team I manager to just being absolutely piss. Tactics that worked fantastically well previously just don't now and that's on a fresh install of the game and starting new seasons from scratch. Not sure if there has been a recent patch that's changed the match engine but it seems to be worse now than it was a couple of months ago.

29 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Got to say that I'm starting to really dislike FM20.

I changed PCs about 6 weeks ago. Reinstalled FM20. I've gone from absolutely pissing the game with whatever team I manager to just being absolutely piss. Tactics that worked fantastically well previously just don't now and that's on a fresh install of the game and starting new seasons from scratch. Not sure if there has been a recent patch that's changed the match engine but it seems to be worse now than it was a couple of months ago.

your luck modifier has been reset 

14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Still playing 18, doubt I'll get 21 unless there are some cracking additions to the likes of the scenarios or the likes.

I'm hoping they allow you start in a league that resumed after lockdown, if that makes sense.

So you would have 9 games to try and get Norwich off the bottom.