“Odd” songs from famous artistes

Raidernation

You know, the one which makes you go [emoji15] wtf?

Boris the Spider - The Who

Pressed Rat and Warthog - Cream

The Laughing Gnome - David Bowie

Sailor’s Hornpipe - Mike Oldfield (with Viv Stanshall “vocals”)

My Ding-a-ling - Chuck Berry

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You know, the one which makes you go emoji15.png wtf?

Boris the Spider - The Who

Pressed Rat and Warthog - Cream

Sailor’s Hornpipe - Mike Oldfield (with Viv Stanshall “vocals”)

My Ding-a-ling - Chuck Berry

Have a Charles for bringing up The Ox's finest. I still sing it everytime I see a spider in the house. I would also like to respectfully add Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict by Pink Floyd.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2020 at 05:46, Perkin Flump said:

Have a Charles for bringing up The Ox's finest. I still sing it everytime I see a spider in the house. I would also like to respectfully add Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict by Pink Floyd.

Every arachnid in Chez WRK gets christened Boris - always has, always will. The tradition has continued as the Rosettes fly the nest and set up their own homes - depite them (or at least one of them, and both spouses (ignorant melts)) not knowing the origin of said name.

For atypical songs, I'll agree with Berry's Ding a Ling, and Benny the Bouncer, which really stands out on BSS - and not in a good way. I'd also like to nominate:

Hi Ho Silver Lining, which Jeff Beck must be physically averse to by now,

Lady in Red by Chris de Monobrow - he was actually a decent singer/songwriter before this defined him for the rest of his life.

Everything I do, I do it for three or four months, by Bryan Adams - for the creator behind the perfect 80's SpamRock that was "Reckless", this a hellish dirge to be best known for.

Not quite atypical, but I get narked when people see Neil Young as "the Heart of Gold guy", rather than the supremely versatile Godlike Genius all reasonable people know he is.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I used to work in a piano bar in Belfast about 25 years ago that attracted a few semi-famous folk (from memory, I distinctly remember serving Right Said Fred and Jimmy Corkhill from Brookside). 

Chris de Burgh was in one night and, in exchange for a bottle of the house plonk (£8), got up and performed Lady in Red. 

It was horrific. 

Björk's album 'Debut' is actually technically her second solo album. Back in 1977 aged 11 Björk released an album titled 'Björk' under her full name of Björk Guðmundsdóttir. The album is a mix of original songs plus Icelandic covers of songs by Melanie Safka, The Beatles & Stevie Wonder. The album is pretty rare (discounting bootlegs) & the only copy on discogs currently has an asking price of £715.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Br7nXmA1e4?feature=oembed

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2020 at 02:12, Raidernation said:

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Bowie- Laughing Gnome

I think if you listen to “Love You Till Tuesday”, you’ll realise that “The Laughing Gnome” is fairly representative of the crap that Bowie was producing at the time.

Also, in true Nick Hornby style, surely Stevie Wonder’s “I Just Called To Say I Love You” deserves a mention in this thread. 

• 1 month later...