Tam Forsyth Died Today

I was going to mention this on the Rangers thread but since he was a top man for Motherwell and had 20-odd caps for Scotland I thought he deserved a thread of his own.

Tam was a feature of the M'well side that I watched on regular trips to Fir Park in the late 60s/early 70s.  A good team that included such weel-kent players as Bobby Watson, Keith McRae, Joe Wark and Dixie Deans and Tam excelled in defence there.

I was happy when Jock Wallace took him to Ibrox in 1972 and he was a rock in our defence for almost a decade.  One of the few defenders of that era who managed to be a hard player but almost never a dirty one and was a real hero of supporters of my vintage.so it was sad to hear news of his death.

Best remembered by Scotland fans for taking the ball off the foot of Mick Channon as he was about to equalise vs Scotland in 1976 - having been described by Tommy Docherty before the game as a carthorse.  Best remembered by we Rangers fans for 'that' goal in the 1973 Scottish Cup Final:

One of the few Rangers players I would give a tick to.

RIP

Remember a game in Greenock, when I was sitting next to John Greig and big Tam had just felled John McNeil.

I asked JG if they had been practicing that tactic in training all week.

He lambasted Tam saying if he did it as instructed McNeil would still be on the deck.

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

RIP, tackle on Mick Channon at Wembley and 72-73 Cup Final winner never to be forgotten.

*Hampden

Beating England in 1976 was a wee bit of catharsis for the 5-1 pumping at Wembley the year before and we made honours even in the 1977 2-1 destruction of Wembley...