Education

51 minutes ago, sugna said:

To a first and second approximation, if you show me a list of schools ordered by deprivation (SIMD deciles are plenty), I will prepare for your delectation a list of those same schools ordered by attainment, requiring no further information in order to do so.

The Falkirk schools are listed as follows:

1) Larbert High
3) Graeme High
4) Braes High
5) Falkirk High
6) Denny High
7) Grangemouth High
8) Bo'Ness Academy

It's pretty much a sliding scale of multiple deprivation.

St Mungo's should be number 2 but as an RC school it doesn't have a catchment area as such.

Par Jr went to a “normal” school until P6 then went to a St Trinian’s-type school for girls.

As an old hippy it troubles my conscience and means having to work a ridiculous amount to pay for it, but I’d rather miss out on the big house and loads of holidays if it means giving her a really special childhood. 

I’m sure she’d have been fine at a regular school but Mrs Par went to a girls school and enjoyed it so wanted our kid to experience it too.

We had a maverick Maths teacher at my school (who moonlighted as a cabbie) who often took time out of lessons to have a rant/lecture us on life. Before he taught at my state school, he had worked at the very expensive private school a few miles up the road and one of the things he said about it always stuck with me:

"The problem with you lot is that you take the piss out of each other for trying to do well. Those toffee nosed pr*cks up the road actually compete with each other to be the best, which is why you're going to end up working for them when you leave here and not the other way around."

I went to a good school (all boys, rugby playing -Kincy would approve) but he was right. The worst thing you could do was show actual enthusiasm for your education. Being clever was only socially acceptable as long as you either coasted along without trying or were in the football or rugby team. People paying for private schools are paying for an ethos as much as anything.

I was very fortunate when I went to school as there wasn’t any stigma in achieving.

Mind you, thanks to Dounreay and RR&A along the road I had a very bizarre peer group, half local Caithness born & bred local industry, ferming, cooncil, shops etc. and half with parents who were nuclear scientists or research chemists etc. [emoji15][emoji106]

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

I was very fortunate when I went to school as there wasn’t any stigma in achieving.

Mind you, thanks to Dounreay and RR&A along the road I had a very bizarre peer group, half local Caithness born & bred local industry, ferming, cooncil, shops etc. and half with parents who were nuclear scientists or research chemists etc. emoji15.pngemoji106.png

I think I saw a documentary about your school

Class of Nuke 'em High or something...

One impact that Covid might have on education is on Higher Education, especially in Scotland. The drastically reduced numbers of foreign students will have a large knock on affect to university finances. I briefly studied for a post graduate IT qualification and paid a small fee for my part time course. The non-EU students doing the course full time paid £12,000 or more a year.

What happens when a University goes bankrupt? If this happens widely will the government (in Scotland and U.K. wide) bail the sector out? Could it be a positive in the long run, forcing people to look seriously at different post school destinations?

14 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

We had a maverick Maths teacher at my school (who moonlighted as a cabbie) who often took time out of lessons to have a rant/lecture us on life. Before he taught at my state school, he had worked at the very expensive private school a few miles up the road and one of the things he said about it always stuck with me:

"The problem with you lot is that you take the piss out of each other for trying to do well. Those toffee nosed pr*cks up the road actually compete with each other to be the best, which is why you're going to end up working for them when you leave here and not the other way around."

I went to a good school (all boys, rugby playing -Kincy would approve) but he was right. The worst thing you could do was show actual enthusiasm for your education. Being clever was only socially acceptable as long as you either coasted along without trying or were in the football or rugby team. People paying for private schools are paying for an ethos as much as anything.

This reminds me of a good thread I read on Twitter a while ago:

This said, did our Eton/Oxford-taught PM not recently get busted for previously calling David Cameron a "[girly] swot" for having the audacity to get a first at uni, not that Boris is at all bothered about achieving a lower grade with all the educational privilege money can buy in this country. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

Not changed views I think it's highlighted the go to Uni or bust attitude of a lot of young people and their families. I was very nearly forced into going to Uni by my school and one teacher offered to fill out my application on UCAS for me in the last week of the application process being open. 
Thankfully a lot more work is going into "positive destinations" if they could increase that and ditch league tables we would be in a better place. 

I still remember my mum and dad telling me at 13 I was going to university wether I wanted to or not because it was for the best.

My dad was a joiner and my mum was a carer. I’d basically decided at 10 I wanted the building trade for a career.
Tried to leave at 16 but got persuaded to stay on by my mum, flunked 5th and 6th because I had no interest and went into joinery 2 year later then I would have had my parents let me make my choice.

Granted now I’m working in insurance, but having had experience in life and that I’m considering going back into education with a view of getting into construction management or education.

The point I’m making is teachers/parents need to realise that there’s more to life then university and let people explore that rather than sitting a non-entity subject that has next to no career options.

24 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I still remember my mum and dad telling me at 13 I was going to university wether I wanted to or not because it was for the best.

My dad was a joiner and my mum was a carer. I’d basically decided at 10 I wanted the building trade for a career.
Tried to leave at 16 but got persuaded to stay on by my mum, flunked 5th and 6th because I had no interest and went into joinery 2 year later then I would have had my parents let me make my choice.

Granted now I’m working in insurance, but having had experience in life and that I’m considering going back into education with a view of getting into construction management or education.

The point I’m making is teachers/parents need to realise that there’s more to life then university and let people explore that rather than sitting a non-entity subject that has next to no career options.

Ive always thought one day I will leave the office job circuit and get a trade - maybe one day it would have vertically have been more useful than my HNC in Social Sciences - however doing the HNC taught me that I don't work well in a class room environment