Betfred Cup - Group C

Deserved win despite being, maybe understandably given the conditions, nowhere near as good as we've been.

Game time for Guy, who looked alright in the few touchs he got, and keeps the unbeaten run going. Quite like O'Hallaron as a wing back against weaker opposition too.

So is it just me that thought MOH was really ineffective yesterday? Lots of driving runs with the ball but too easily dispossessed and nothing really came from any of it?

Melamed had some really nice touches. Will be interesting to see him on a pitch that’s not so heavy and not in a driving wind...

So is it just me that thought MOH was really ineffective yesterday? Lots of driving runs with the ball but too easily dispossessed and nothing really came from any of it?
Melamed had some really nice touches. Will be interesting to see him on a pitch that’s not so heavy and not in a driving wind...

So April or May then :)

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Unfortunately so. The idea of using him there against weaker teams is sound but the player of old isn't in evidence these days. There was a time that the ball was stuck to his foot when he moved at pace with it, now it just seems constantly stuck under his foot. 

He's never been the best crosser but you knew what you'd get from him, he'd get by the full back, get to the touchline inside the box and then cut it back. It's been a long time since he did that effectively though. 

Sad to see what he's become.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I don't think MOH, Craig, or Rooney done their chances of breaking into the team any good yesterday.

Perhaps unfair due to conditions etc.,  but it was the same as Kane/Hendry starting against United, in that there was a clear drop off in pretty much every aspect of play compared to the player they'd replaced.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Also disappointed with MOH. He just wanted to knock the ball past the player and outpace him every single time, it became so predictable for the defender to just block him off and intercept. He needed a trick or a change of direction, or play a 1-2 to beat his man but just kept trying the knock it past and run which clearly wasn't working.

I think the pitch didn't help him as he struggled to get the ball out from his feet.  Still think he's got a role to play as he's one of the few players in our team (along with Spoony) who can actually beat a man on his day to open up space.

Interested to hear folk's opinion on Conway?

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

This is exactly how I seen it,  MOH has pace, footballing ability? Not so much.

Although Melamed never actually affected the game that much I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing, just needs more game time and getting to know his team mates. 

Definitely not just you. Their left back handled him easily yesterday. His regression is really sad to see.

That formation is either going to work a treat, or we'll be awful, I'm saying now that there's no in between. Also Michael O'Halloran owes this team a performance, he really should be realising he's one of our highest earners, approaching 30 and isn't contributing anything to the team currently. He also doesn't have the Tommy "must re-sign players" Wright safety net he might of had before. 
He's got 6 months to earn a new deal at saints and frankly in the last 18 months he's not done anywhere near enough, chance in attitude needed and a cold, wet and windy game in Peterhead is really going to show his attitude right up! 

Given I’d already posted this before the game, my thoughts on O’Halloran should be fairly obvious.

He’s not worth the wage he’s getting and if he gets another I’ll be disappointed. He’s rivalling Drey Wright in terms of stats almost and frankly he doesn’t justify his inclusion or high end wage right now. In fact I don’t think he has for 2 seasons now!

Also disappointed with MOH. He just wanted to knock the ball past the player and outpace him every single time, it became so predictable for the defender to just block him off and intercept. He needed a trick or a change of direction, or play a 1-2 to beat his man but just kept trying the knock it past and run which clearly wasn't working.
I think the pitch didn't help him as he struggled to get the ball out from his feet.  Still think he's got a role to play as he's one of the few players in our team (along with Spoony) who can actually beat a man on his day to open up space.

Standard performance from Conway. All the usual things were there; ballooning ball over with team mates better placed, comers hitting first man, free kick in dangerous area wasted and general lethargy in passing. Not. A. Fan.

38 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Does a lot of work that's hard to notice, but still feel he slows play down too much. Its fine sometimes, but it's like he knows he has no pace so automatically turns back sometimes, even if a forward pass is there. Keeping possession seems more of a priority than taking a risk of a through ball.

If we play a front 3 he's easily first choice on the right though, take him out and you lose the interplay down the right. Can you imagine Kerr/McNamara making a passing triangle with MOH?

Does a lot of work that's hard to notice, but still feel he slows play down too much. Its fine sometimes, but it's like he knows he has no pace so automatically turns back sometimes, even if a forward pass is there. Keeping possession seems more of a priority than taking a risk of a through ball.

If we play a front 3 he's easily first choice on the right though, take him out and you lose the interplay down the right. Can you imagine Kerr/McNamara making a passing triangle with MOH?

I think that's fair. My main worry early on with him that he wasn't doing anything defensively but he's won me round a little bit. Its a negative way of looking at things but a front three of him, Wotherspoon and May are really effective at defending from the front and have the intelligence to cover when the wingbacks or centre mids push on. Not sure Hendry and O'Hallaron have that (but Hendry has youth on his side at least). Much rather have Spoony as the number 10 if we are playing 2 central strikers though.

Still find Conway frustrating, though. For every brilliant ball (the one Rooney contrived not to score in the first half) there seems to be 4 that hit the first man. He's also painfully slow. Davidson clearly trusts him - can imagine only Kerr rivals the minutes Conway has played.

Clearly, I'm in a minority with MOH yesterday. Thought he got in some good areas particularly first half. His lack of final ball isn't new news nor does really set him apart in this side currently.

38 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Davidson clearly trusts him.

I think its because he can play his system. He seems to know when to press, when to drop back etc., so makes the front three set up workable. 

Hopefully just a stop gap to help the whole squad learn the system themselves, and we can get a quicker alternative in there for the long term.

Just a wee update for those that were disappointed with saturdays stream apparently we have now got additional equipment which should improve the video & audio content. If we draw the Saints again in the cup hopefully you will see an improvement & for the Saints supporter that bought a season ticket for our games it may be worth hanging on to now 😃