Train derailment

5 hours ago, Shipa said:

Apologies that my first P&B post is in these unfortunate circumstances, but as a train driver from Perth who drives this route every other day, I feel I can't just ignore this thread.

I don't yet know which of my colleagues have passed away as a result of this, but I will know them, my thoughts are very much with all involved and their families.

Sad times. I'm the next town down from Stoney and use the rail service regularly to head to work in Aberdeen and also to visit family in Dundee.  

The staff on the train have always been sound. 

Thoughts with their family and friends. 

23 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Do they check the lines after severe weather before sending trains up them ? 

Think I read yesterday that it wasn't the first train through that section of the network that day and it had gone through the section where it derailed shortly before. I think when the severe weather effects the rail way i.e flooding, then it's inspected before being allowed to re-open

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Think I read yesterday that it wasn't the first train through that section of the network that day and it had gone through the section where it derailed shortly before. I think when the severe weather effects the rail way i.e flooding, then it's inspected before being allowed to re-open

Apparently a commuter train from Montrose had passed the same section a few minutes prior.

The line is either checked on foot or a route proving train(can be any train travelling at caution). Is sent to check the line is safe for trains after bad weather or any reports of faults.

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Without reading the whole topic - is it cool to make jokes about it? 

Or can we only make jokes about atrocities in like, Lebanon and shit? 

I'll be honest, I read the BBC report which downplayed the incident initially and sent a shite joke to my brother, who works on the railways in that area, as we generally would do any time something out of the ordinary happens. Got a message back sharpish telling me it wasn't the time or place. He had been called out to help on site after it happened. Not had a chance to have a proper conversation with him, as, understandably, he wasn't much in the mood for talking last night.

Black humour is a coping mechanism though, albeit one that is distasteful to many.

6 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

As others have mentioned, the line should have been examined either on foot or by the first train. The issue here is that the train involved, and possibly others, had already passed the accident site and not found any problems. It looks like the train had crossed over to the northbound line to head back to Aberdeen, and as the route had already been checked would have no reason not to run at full speed.

As for the Sun, that rag should have a place of honour in the Every Day Scummy Behaviour thread, along with the Record, who apparently doorstepped the driver's family as soon as the names were released.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

The Sun truly is a disgusting rag. FB_IMG_1597319336770.jpeg

Horrible horrible stuff - I see Aberdeen fans are trying to get the paper banned from the ground. Ill be writing to Dunfermline to echo this view. Hopefully we can kick the sun out of Scottish football and then Scottish society   

12 hours ago, The Master said:

You can tell that’s the cab end because it’s a clean break. HST cabs are interchangeable so they can be quickly replaced (e.g. if a train hits an animal) rather than taking the whole locomotive out of service.

That makes more sense given the fire is coming from the engine in that picture - it was the yellow bit on the overhead images that made me think the opposite.

8 hours ago, Ross. said:

Black humour is a coping mechanism though, albeit one that is distasteful to many.

It’s all about timing and context, if you go cracking jokes on open forums for everyone to see in the immediate aftermath before you know the full extent of a situation like this you could well find yourself on the receiving end of an endless stream of hatred to the point you could have the police at your door or even lose your job. You should probably keep the jokes to private messages/group chats when you know who you’re talking to.

A woman got hounded for the below on twitter yesterday, but her tweet was about 12 o clock when information was still scarce:

973B1B57-4891-44E1-B421-7D9D39DC0005.jpeg

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

It’s all about timing and context, if you go cracking jokes on open forums for everyone to see in the immediate aftermath before you know the full extent of a situation like this you could well find yourself on the receiving end of an endless stream of hatred to the point you could have the police at your door or even lose your job. You should probably keep the jokes to private messages/group chats when you know who you’re talking to.

A woman got hounded for the below on twitter yesterday, but her tweet was about 12 o clock when information was still scarce:

She's closed her account, she might have only heard the trains were cancelled. People are c***s.

Edited by welshbairn

Just got a shock when I saw on the news that 'Donald the Conductor' is one of the dead.  :(

He was exceptionally sound and always a good laugh whenever I had brief chats with him heading back to Aberdeen (usually in need of a laugh as a solo traveller coming back from some Brechin defeat).  

I have absolutely no doubt that he'll genuinely be a massive loss to anybody that knew him properly. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

She's closed her account, she might have only heard the trains were cancelled. People are c***s.

Exactly - that had thousands of retweets as well after she was getting publicly shamed for it. The guy I saw share it had the caption “everything wrong with this country in one tweet” as well which is totally unfair given the information she would have had on her at 12 o clock yesterday. 

A guy on radio today wondering why there is such a long time lapse from departure to derailment, 

Would the next station on the route not be enquiring as to the whereabouts of the service, 

Looking at the wreckage it defys logic how everything had ended up I guess we will never know for sure what transpired. 

Ive oftened wondered sections of railtrack I know well from living in the area for 30 odd years. The Aberdeen to huntly stretch how regularly are these stretches checked,  are they walked, or how are they surveyed.