Train derailment

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Completely unfathomable how it's end up all over the place.

The bit I'm struggling with is how the power car looks like it is pointing upwards (yellow front) while being so close to the ballast. It's like it has dug in and flipped. Guessing carriage 1 has followed then jack knifed leaving carriage 2 perpendicular to the tracks where the other carriages have hit it.

All you can say is fucking hell and RIP to those who died.

19 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The conductor was one of the 3 people who have died.

2 conductors on there. 1 of them survived. The other, and the driver, sadly not. No idea of the condition of those who are in hospital, but from the pictures I would say it’s miraculous that anyone has come away from that alive.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

No idea of the condition of those who are in hospital, but from the pictures I would say it’s miraculous that anyone has come away from that alive.

Pretty sure officials said earlier that the injuries of those in hospital "aren't life threatening".

That said, castration by drinks trolley probably wouldn't fall into that category, so goodness knows.   Without seat-belts, you're almost certainly going to end up on the other side of any of those carriages.

Also i think this is the first major  accident in Scotland since 2012, the first fatal accident in Scotland since 1994 and  the first fatal train derailment in the UK  since 2007?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Without reading the whole topic - is it cool to make jokes about it? 

Or can we only make jokes about atrocities in like, Lebanon and shit? 

Probably too soon to go full steam ahead with the jokes imo.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

BBC says that the" UK Transport Minister" Grant Shapps is to visit the scene. 

I'm not turning this into a Union/Independence thing and I'm happy for Mr Shapps to visit if some good will come of the disaster, I just wonder what his locus is as transport is devolved to the Scottish Parliament. Is it because Network Rail comes under Grant Shapps' ministry as it's a UK wide concern? 

In all fairness, if a train derailed in Albania, I would like to think that people here would like to know why and could it happen here.  Thus the whole union versus independence issue is not entirely relevant.

The bit I'm struggling with is how the power car looks like it is pointing upwards (yellow front) while being so close to the ballast. It's like it has dug in and flipped. Guessing carriage 1 has followed then jack knifed leaving carriage 2 perpendicular to the tracks where the other carriages have hit it.
The upright power car would be the trailing one. No idea where the leading power car went, it doesn't appear to be on the photo.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Actually yes.  Not too soon though.  That would be callous but over time people will make jokes about most of these things not because they don't care but as a way to come to terms with it.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Actually yes.  Not too soon though.  That would be callous but over time people will make jokes about most of these things not because they don't care but as a way to come to terms with it.

They never needed time to make joke regarding what happened in Lebanon. Did they care or just not need time regarding what happened there? 

5 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The upright power car would be the trailing one. No idea where the leading power car went, it doesn't appear to be on the photo.

Maybe read my post with the Sky News photo which tells you it's in amongst the trees on the embankment.

Somebody I know had a work colleague on that train.  She was one of the "lucky" ones, in hospital but going to be ok.

Had got on at Stonehaven to travel travel to work in Dundee. 

Apparently today was supposed to be her last day at work as was travelling to see her family this weekend.

55 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe read my post with the Sky News photo which tells you it's in amongst the trees on the embankment.

It caught fire, with the actual cab ripped off:

EfN-0tVXoAA5AaT?format=jpg&name=large

You can tell that’s the cab end because it’s a clean break. HST cabs are interchangeable so they can be quickly replaced (e.g. if a train hits an animal) rather than taking the whole locomotive out of service.

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I made a joke early on, then deleted it as I realised some people on here might be close to someone on the train. It's unlikely anyone knows someone who was hanging around Beirut docks when it blew up, but haven't noticed any jokes yet anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

They never needed time to make joke regarding what happened in Lebanon. Did they care or just not need time regarding what happened there? 

I am not aware of any jokes about Lebanon.  I think it was horrific.  Very similar to the Halifax explosion a century ago.

However people do make jokes about serious things over time to desensitise the issue.  I have done so on here regarding the Titanic.

On some subjects I never will.