Train derailment

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is there no sort of train tracker type thing ScotRail would have that would show when a train deviates from it's journey? Seems mad to me that a train could derail and it takes 2-3 hours for anyone to be notified in this day and age.

I believe so. @19QOS19

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is there no sort of train tracker type thing ScotRail would have that would show when a train deviates from it's journey? Seems mad to me that a train could derail and it takes 2-3 hours for anyone to be notified in this day and age.

Probably, but the tracker might have been either destroyed in the derailment, or that it didn't show anything untoward. Remember, it's service was cancelled, it was returning to Aberdeen. Nobody was expecting it as an arrival, and being stopped, slow, or stuck would have been normal for a train avoiding an obstruction on the track and reversing back to the previous station. It could have taken quite a while before someone twigged 'I know that it should be taking some time to get back, but not THAT much time'.

Edited by Aim Here

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The signaller would know something was up because the train wouldn’t have emerged from the section. 

If it was on its way back then it’s not unrealistic for it to have been sat for a while waiting to move. Various permissions need to be sought to run in the wrong direction.

Ironic that the situation in Aberdeen and the pandemic in general reducing commuting could have potentially saved lives by turning a crowded train into an almost empty one.

You'd imagine that service from Aberdeen to Glasgow in 'normal times' would have been quite a busy one.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They must do. I thought all the signals and .points were at.least semi automatic. It can't be possible for a train to jump the lines and possibly career through farm land or a town centre without a bleep on someone's screen.

In that area, the type of signalling is known as absolute block (old fashioned Victorian semaphore signals), the area also isn't track circuited meaning the signallers in that area aren't able to accurately pinpoint exactly where you are in their signalling section. These individual signalling sections run for miles and miles. Unlike a location, say between Glasgow and Edinburgh, the signalling sections are shorter, track circuited and controlled by signaller's computerised workstations, thus lending them to having a much better idea where the train is in each section.

Anyway, utterly shite news, that's all I'll say about it.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm hoping it's not the bit I'm thinking of as you leave Stonehaven as the track's a fair distance up at that point. That's bad enough, but the most worrying thing is the amount of smoke that seems to be issuing from it on the TV pictures.

Certainly the section I was thinking it looked like, in the gorge with the river/stream below. They mentioned on the lunchtime news that network rail had been working on that section recently so emergency services access should have been easier than normal.

Given Scotrail had spent half of the morning tweeting there were no services between Aberdeen and Dundee (or half the country for that matter) I’m hoping it left severely delayed/got stuck enroute rather than sitting there derailed for hours like some places have suggested.

Edited by AngusTheBull

There's a signal box at Carmont which I think is still staffed, so the video might have been filmed by them.

The whole thing is horrific - use this stretch fairly regularly, and had planned to this afternoon if the lockdown had been lifted. Thoughts with all involved.

1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:

In that area, the type of signalling is known as absolute block (old fashioned Victorian semaphore signals), the area also isn't track circuited meaning the signallers in that area aren't able to accurately pinpoint exactly where you are in their signalling section. These individual signalling sections run for miles and miles. Unlike a location, say between Glasgow and Edinburgh, the signalling sections are shorter, track circuited and controlled by signaller's computerised workstations, thus lending them to having a much better idea where the train is in each section.

Anyway, utterly shite news, that's all I'll say about it.

Cheers. If a lack of notification of the incident has been a problem here then I expect we'll see some investment into the tracks in that area.

13 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Probably, but the tracker might have been either destroyed in the derailment, or that it didn't show anything untoward. Remember, it's service was cancelled, it was returning to Aberdeen. Nobody was expecting it as an arrival, and being stopped, slow, or stuck would have been normal for a train avoiding an obstruction on the track. It could have taken quite a while before someone twigged 'I know that it should be taking some time to get back, but not THAT much time'.

Presumably the driver would have been in touch with the signaller and arrangements made to go back to Aberdeen (using the crossover to the other line). Carmont to Stonehaven is 7 minutes at line speed so it would seem unlikely that no one realised the train hadn't made it back to Stonehaven.

23 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably the driver would have been in touch with the signaller and arrangements made to go back to Aberdeen (using the crossover to the other line). Carmont to Stonehaven is 7 minutes at line speed so it would seem unlikely that no one realised the train hadn't made it back to Stonehaven.

The reports on Twitter (as reliable or not as that is) seem to suggest what you've said. Encountered problems going south with the poor weather, stopped and was routed back to Stonehaven when this happened. 

Quite sobering to see the pictures, especially as I suspect the train is unlikely to be at full speed. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers. If a lack of notification of the incident has been a problem here then I expect we'll see some investment into the tracks in that area.

These "investments" are always post accident.

The Londonderry - Belfast bus used to drop off passengers bound for Castledawson/Magherafelt on the main road (3 lanes wide at that point.). Inevitably there was a fatal accident involving a passenger and it was then decided to build a proper bus stop just off the main road at the roundabout - after the proverbial horse had bolted.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/tributes-paid-to-angel-killed-in-road-accident-28453521.html

These "investments" are always post accident.
The Londonderry - Belfast bus used to drop off passengers bound for Castledawson/Magherafelt on the main road (3 lanes wide at that point.). Inevitably there was a fatal accident involving a passenger and it was then decided to build a proper bus stop just off the main road at the roundabout - after the proverbial horse had bolted.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/tributes-paid-to-angel-killed-in-road-accident-28453521.html
"Reactive Railway".

A rail industry source has confirmed that the 0638 Aberdeen to Glasgow service was definitely heading south when it derailed.

It is thought that the train initially came across a landslip and the driver stopped and contacted control to ask permission to turn around and head backwards to swap tracks to then continue on the path towards Glasgow.

It’s believed the driver reversed the train to a set of points and switched to a different set of tracks, which was clear.

The train then apparently continued on its route towards Glasgow before it possibly hit another landslide and derailed.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

The story isn't implausible. All reports suggest the service was one that took off from Aberdeen at 6:38, and that the time the emergency services were called was well after 9am. So either it took a couple of hours for the train to stop, wait for further instructions and turn back, or it derailed and it took a long time before anyone was able to either report an accident or realised that one of their trains was missing. With the apparent state of the train and the relative solitude of the location, I suspect the latter is more likely.

I'm not having that in 2020 a train can derail and it takes two hours before anyone notices. No way.