COVID-19 In Scottish Football

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

John Swinney says we shouldn’t go to the games tonight. We are allowed to go of course, and we have paid for tickets. But stay at home. Is it any wonder people have had enough of this rubbish.
IMG_7345.jpg

Says the LC Final was a superspreader event only 2 days after it happened when he couldn't possibly have the data to make that determination by then.

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

When the league was called off last time, Celtic were in a position of power. On this occasion, Rangers are in a position of power. It's just how things work. Yet you seem desperate to paint it as a "Rangers vs everyone else" argument when really we are simply doing what most other clubs in our position would do.

You genuinely think Rangers are in a position of power here?

The last time the only clubs with a real reason to vote against were the clubs being relegated which was entirely fair, Rangers intent was to delay the inevitable no matter the cost to other clubs which is pretty fucking mercenary considering the context. 

This time the only real genuine concern I see is if rescheduled matches are proposed when Rangers have players away however we haven’t even seen what that rescheduling looks like to even know if Rangers are to be disadvantaged.

You want games to continue as you see an advantage to be had, I want the winter break brought forward so there is a chance I can get to the football and enjoy myself and we possibly mitigate the impact of lost match day revenue so we will never agree as we are looking at it from an entirely different perspective

Edited by Jinky67

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You genuinely think Rangers are in a position of power here?

The last time the only clubs with a real reason to vote against were the clubs being relegated which was entirely fair, Rangers intent was to delay the inevitable no matter the cost to other clubs which is pretty fucking mercenary considering the context. 

This time the only real genuine concern I see is if rescheduled matches are proposed when Rangers have players away however we haven’t even seen what that rescheduling looks like to even know if Rangers are to be disadvantaged.

You want games to do continue as you see an advantage to be had, I want the winter break brought forward so there is a chance I can get to the football and enjoy myself so we will never agree as we are looking at it from an entirely different perspective

Power in terms of league position? Yes, absolutely.

Yes, Rangers voted against it previously because Celtic were in a position of power then. The cost to other clubs was absolutely considered given Rangers proposed an interim allocation of prize money. This was deemed not possible by the SPFL but then became apparent afterwards that they did indeed have the power to do it, if I'm not mistaken.

You again are refusing to answer my question on whether or not you would expect Celtic to vote the same way as Rangers if the roles were reversed.

I have already said I am scunnered that we are not able to attend matches. I have also said that I can see why Rangers would vote a certain way due to the potential disadvantage it may bring us. That is not to say I am happy that fans cannot attend matches.

It also needs to be considered whether full attendances will be allowed following this initial 3 week period of restrictions. I very much doubt they will, so if Rangers also hold that opinion then they will likely feel it is best to play the games just now anyway.

This whole debate has only come about because you say that you accept clubs will vote for self interest yet refuse to accept that's what Rangers are doing. Or, if you do accept it, you think it is simply being done to go against the grain, which is simply not true and would be evidenced if you finally state whether or not you'd expect Celtic to do the same in our position.

Edited by AJF

Let's not let this discussion boil down to a petty Rangers Vs Celtic debate. 

Does it suit Celtic and not Rangers to bring the break forward? Yes

Would Celtic do the same? Undoubtedly

Do Rangers have legitimate concern re Celtic injuries and AFCON? Yes

Should Celtic be concerned about the fairness of having a derby BCD? Yes

However, as I've said, I don't think this is one for whataboutery. I fear there may be clubs sailing very close to the wind and the complete loss of significant revenue for 1/2 home games may hit very hard. As I've said both Rangers and Celtic have legitimate concerns, however, if the decision goes against them, the last thing we need is a tears and snotters statement from either decrying how unfair it all is. 

5 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Latest I am hearing - from someone on the inside that's on standby to change their 'winter break' Dubai week.

Boxing Day games 50/50 to go ahead - 29th and 2nd almost certainly off.

tartan tyrants Sturgeon and Swinney have kiboshed the season as far as I'm concerned.  Not expecting any more fans in now till August. 

20 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Says the LC Final was a superspreader event only 2 days after it happened when he couldn't possibly have the data to make that determination by then.

Except he didn't say that. It's usually a good idea to read what people actually said rather than taking a sensationalist newspaper headline as gospel.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Most teams? Most teams? Why the f*ck would playing in front of fans not be the preference of all teams?

It's not a simple case of it just being about playing in front of fans though. I've already explained my thoughts as to why I suspect Rangers may vote against bringing the winter break forward.

I'd imagine they would've weighed up the following Pro's and Con's of voting to keep the winter break as is:

Cons: 500 max capacity at Ibrox v St Mirren on 26th December, potential heightened risk of players becoming unavailable due to Covid spread/close contacts

Pros: Away games v Aberdeen and Celtic 500 max capacity, we do not potentially lose 3 players to AFCON for those fixtures if rearranged in January, there is no guarantee stadiums will be restriction free come 3 weeks time so they may feel it's best to play them now anyway

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Most teams? Most teams? Why the f*ck would playing in front of fans not be the preference of all teams?

So when do we extend the winter break until ? March or April . There is no guarantee whatsoever we willl see fans in grounds in 3 weeks time . If anything the current Scottish governments previous tells us to expect a long drawn out return to full stadiums 

Edited by Forever_blueco

16 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Let's not let this discussion boil down to a petty Rangers Vs Celtic debate. 

Does it suit Celtic and not Rangers to bring the break forward? Yes

Would Celtic do the same? Undoubtedly

Do Rangers have legitimate concern re Celtic injuries and AFCON? Yes

Should Celtic be concerned about the fairness of having a derby BCD? Yes

However, as I've said, I don't think this is one for whataboutery. I fear there may be clubs sailing very close to the wind and the complete loss of significant revenue for 1/2 home games may hit very hard. As I've said both Rangers and Celtic have legitimate concerns, however, if the decision goes against them, the last thing we need is a tears and snotters statement from either decrying how unfair it all is. 

That's where I'm at with it all. Whatever decision is made I'm not going to say it is the right or wrong one. If it goes to a vote, the majority will rule and there can be no complaints.