COVID-19 In Scottish Football

30 minutes ago, bennett said:

A snippet from the Sun,  no fitba it is then.

CELTIC earlier called for the January 2 Old Firm game to be postponed — and the winter break brought forward.

The brave Hoops are backed by NINE Premiership rivals, after crowds were restricted to just 500 for at least three weeks

Crisis talks have taken place between Premiership clubs following First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s bombshell ruling.

SunSport understands at least ten club are in favour of an early break, providing Sky Sports agree to reschedule live games.

The SPFL board held talks with clubs and TV chiefs and the ten members will make the decision by a majority vote.

A Hoops statement said: “Celtic can confirm it has requested the SPFL bring forward the scheduled winter break and reschedule the fixtures affected by the regulations announced.

“The game owes it to supporters to explore all opportunities to maximise the prospect of all supporters being able to attend matches and support the game they love.”

The majority of Premiership clubs want the league paused for three weeks after tonight’s fixtures. Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs, Livingston and Motherwell have all made public calls for the shutdown to begin earlier than January 3.

It’s understood Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts, St Johnstone and St Mirren are also in favour, if a revised fixture list is possible.

But leaders Rangers and Ross County are not among the clubs backing the early break plans

Ever notice Rangers always seem to be pedalling in the opposite direction to everyone else in the league? Why is that?

So this is basically going to come down to whether Sky want to reschedule the fixtures.

From their perspective:

Positives: Seen to be accommodating to the league, gives them a degree of control over the fixture list

Negatives: Presumably the games over the festive period give them better ratings, particularly if fans are locked out of the games.

Any other factors we think they'll consider?

3 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The unvaccinated I know want to wait to see if there are side-effects. They think we are crazy jagging this stuff into ourselves.

Can’t find figures for Scotland but various reports suggest about 80% of Covid patients in ICU in England are unvaccinated.  Whatever very limited side effects of vaccination might be the impact of non-vaccination is pretty real.

So if this omicron variant takes off like they think, we’ll be coming out of the winter break at the peak. I suppose they have to bring the break forward to give the current situation a chance to improve and reassess in the new year. However, I won’t be surprised if we get to mid January and there’s still a limited capacity mandate from the government.

Edited by Redmin

Just now, Redmin said:

So if this omicron variant takes off like they think, we’ll be coming out of the winter break at the peak. I suppose they have to bring the break forward to give the current situation it a chance to improve and reassess in the new year. However, I won’t be surprised if we get to mid January and there’s still a limited capacity mandate from the government.

The pattern so far seems to be that c. 15 days from the start of exponential growth is the peak, then omicron seems to be dropping quite rapidly. This is true in Gauteng, Denmark and London. I'm not sure when it started growing exponentially in Scotland (I don't really look at Scottish numbers tbh) but I think it's reasonable to expect something similar here.

IMO, the real question is whether Omicron will actually out-compete and bury Delta, or will it simply be transitory and burn itself out very quickly. I don't know anywhere near enough to even start talking about that, but it seems like it might be within the realms of possibility that Omicron is temporary and Delta takes over again by the end of January or something.

When do Celtic want the old firm game which is what this is really all about from their side moved to ? No disrespect but if Celtic’s next 3 fixtures were st mirren , St Johnstone and Dundee at home they wouldn’t care about an early winter break

Not sure where they have been the last 2 years but if they think that ground closure is only going to last 3 weeks then they are deluded . Will be February before crowds are probably slowly brought back in like the summer just passed and March before we probably see full stadiums again in my opinion. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

3 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The unvaccinated I know want to wait to see if there are side-effects. They think we are crazy jagging this stuff into ourselves.

That argument is bollocks for two reasons. 

The first is that those same people are likely already choc full of other vaccines. 

The second is that if they are right, and these new untested vaccines are so unsafe that everyone who's had them is gonna grow a second head and then die in the next few years, then I'd much rather be among the dead than one of the remaining few in a new post-apocalyptic society ran by anti vac morons like Laurence Fox and Snifter Piss Pot, even if they were proven right. 

Bring me sweet mutated death over that any day. 

37 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

When do Celtic want the old firm game which is what this is really all about from their side moved to ? No disrespect but if Celtic’s next 3 fixtures were st mirren , St Johnstone and Dundee at home they wouldn’t care about an early winter break

Not sure where they have been the last 2 years but if they think that ground closure is only going to last 3 weeks then they are deluded . Will be February before crowds are probably slowly brought back in like the summer just passed and March before we probably see full stadiums again in my opinion. 

It's not surprising that Rangers would rather two of their tougher away games of the season were played behind closed doors. Were the boot on the other foot, I'd fully expect the same from Rangers. However, I think the greater good needs to take precedence here rather than self interest. Clubs will already take a massive hit if games are rearranged. There will be significantly lower crowds at the Boxing Day fixtures if they are rearranged for later in the season and Alan Burrows has articulated very well the issues with getting a small crowd into the festive fixtures. 

ETA - The entirety of Scottish Football doesn't revolve around the Celtic v Rangers game. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

3 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Yes I am sure celtics opinion also hasn’t changed from that time either …..

What club gave us sporting integrity again back in 2008 ?

Was there a global pandemic and public health crisis in 2008? Must have been pished for the entire year after JVOH’s winner and missed it.

2 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It's not surprising that Rangers would rather two of their tougher away games of the season were played behind closed doors. Were the boot on the other foot, I'd fully expect the same from Rangers. However, I think the greater good needs to take precedence here rather than self interest. Clubs will already take a massive hit if games are rearranged. There will be significantly lower crowds at the Boxing Day fixtures if they are rearranged for later in the season and Alan Burrows has articulated very well the issues with getting a small crowd into the festive fixtures. 

Aye for what its worth I am fuming at the decision  . I was also looking forward to Boxing Day and pittodrie which I had a ticket for and now sitting double vaccinated unable to attend these for “reasons” 

I appreciate most  clubs stance is based on finance and match day income  . Celtic’s isn’t and is solely based on getting the old firm game moved to a date that suits them . If they could just admit that then it would be easier for everyone  

6 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Aye for what its worth I am fuming at the decision  . I was also looking forward to Boxing Day and pittodrie which I had a ticket for and now sitting double vaccinated unable to attend these for “reasons” 

I appreciate most  clubs stance is based on finance and match day income  . Celtic’s isn’t and is solely based on getting the old firm game moved to a date that suits them . If they could just admit that then it would be easier for everyone  

Why would it be easier for everyone exactly? 

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Well it would be the truth 

Are we not going to lose significant amounts of revenue from not having home matches against Rangers and Hibs? Are we somehow immune to the financial impacts of Covid? 

And again why would it be easier for everyone? Do you think Motherwell, Hibs, Dundee Utd care in the slightest about Celtic reasons or are they solely focused on their own self interests?

Edited by Jinky67

16 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Yes I am sure celtics opinion also hasn’t changed from that time either …..

What club gave us sporting integrity again back in 2008 ?

I like how you avoid answering the question 

Talk about a false equivalence.

You really must be clutching at straws at use an incident that happened almost 15 years ago to justify possible actions today.