COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Probably because of this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58118134
And thats the ones that were traced to there, probably more
Meanwhile less than a month before these fanzones, hibs and st johnstone weren't allowed fans in at hampden

So a negligible percentage of the total number of attendees.

There is also no evidence that any of these people actually caught covid at the fanzone. As someone else has said, the people who went would have been in pubs, at games, on public transport, at workplaces, possibly down to London around about that time, all of which are much more risky covid-wise than Glasgow Green.

38 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
50 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:
Probably because of this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58118134
And thats the ones that were traced to there, probably more
Meanwhile less than a month before these fanzones, hibs and st johnstone weren't allowed fans in at hampden

Lol 100 cases out of the how many thousands attending. In other words the fanzone lead to just as few a cases as any other outdoor setting. I also expect a fair chunk of the 100 cases were affected on public transport or in pubs before or after the actual games rather than in the wide open socially distanced tables on Glasgow Green.

14 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

There is also no evidence that any of these people actually caught covid at the fanzone. As someone else has said, the people who went would have been in pubs, at games, on public transport, at workplaces, possibly down to London around about that time, all of which are much more risky covid-wise than Glasgow Green.

And how many fans would have caught covid at the scottish Cup final, but the risk was too great for that, 

Infact how many covid outbreaks have happened due to full capacity stadiums since they returned 

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Isn’t that what Leitch used as his reasoning in December as to why stadium restrictions were on the cards, that he wasn’t that worried about transmission in the stadiums, rather the travel and meeting up beforehand.

8 hours ago, Huisdean50 said:

Which just goes to show that this was a ridiculous and pointless restriction introduced by a FM who fails to understand many of the impacts of her governments decisions. 

If the clubs at the weekend allowed more than 500 in what could the government do about it?
For me it's up to the clubs,would the police stop the game from going ahead or would they just stand with their wee camera and say there is more than 500 in here.
We all know this 500 number is nonsense.

9 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If the clubs at the weekend allowed more than 500 in what could the government do about it?
For me it's up to the clubs,would the police stop the game from going ahead or would they just stand with their wee camera and say there is more than 500 in here.
We all know this 500 number is nonsense.

You would assume that the government/council could force them to play behind closed doors for not following restrictions/rules 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

You would assume that the government/council could force them to play behind closed doors for not following restrictions/rules 

It would be interesting to see what would happen, I think the game would get abandoned and played at a later date.
Nobody can force the game to go ahead.  

And how many fans would have caught covid at the scottish Cup final, but the risk was too great for that, 
Infact how many covid outbreaks have happened due to full capacity stadiums since they returned 

The answer to both is zero, or close to that.

I agree that they should have allowed a few thousand into the cup final.

Isn’t that what Leitch used as his reasoning in December as to why stadium restrictions were on the cards, that he wasn’t that worried about transmission in the stadiums, rather the travel and meeting up beforehand.

Swinney seemed to say it was more down to perceptions of being able to mix with others during a covid spike and Sturgeon said it was to reduce the strain on emergency services. Probably a number of factors at play.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Swinney seemed to say it was more down to perceptions of being able to mix with others during a covid spike and Sturgeon said it was to reduce the strain on emergency services. Probably a number of factors at play.

It just seems to be so inconsistent. This was Leitch ahead of the League Cup final:

Jason Leitch has expressed concern over fans travelling to Hampden Park for Sunday’s Premier Sports Cup final between Celtic and Hibernian amid a sharp rise in Covid cases.

Scotland’s national clinical director raised his fears earlier today as the Omicron variant continues to spread across the country.

Leitch admitted the game itself is not likely to cause issues but is fearful that 50,000 people travelling to and from the national stadium could potential lead to a further spike in infections.

Celtic are expected to have 30,000 supporters in attendance, with many arriving from outwith Glasgow on supporters’ buses and public transport, while around 19,000 Hibs fans will travel through from Edinburgh on trains, buses and cars.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon introduced a new set of measures on Tuesday in an attempt to curtail the spread of the virus, with a three household limit on any social gatherings over the festive period.

To date, football crowds has been unaffected but there are growing concerns this could change as cases continue to increase.

Professor Leitch said: “Once you get to the cup final, I’m actually not that worried because that’s outdoors, it’s a big space, it will be Scotland in December - it will likely be windy and cold. So the virus won’t like that.

“What I am worried about is the buses, the cars, the trains getting to that event.”

During the summer we were at the peak of the Delta variant's transmission yet these concerns were not raised as thousands used buses, cars and trains to head to the fanzone. I'm not saying it was wrong to hold the fanzone, far from it, but it just seems concerns and other factors are brought up inconsistently and are applied when they feel like it.

I don't understand the point of any of this argument now to be honest. I thought it was about why the Euros was able to go ahead with fans, which was because it was granted an exemption as a large-scale international event (ie because it would have been a massive vote loser for them if the games went to Wembley instead). I'm not sure why I'm getting others disagreeing with me whilst saying the exact same as I did.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't understand the point of any of this argument now to be honest. I thought it was about why the Euros was able to go ahead with fans, which was because it was granted an exemption as a large-scale international event (ie because it would have been a massive vote loser for them if the games went to Wembley instead). I'm not sure why I'm getting others disagreeing with me whilst saying the exact same as I did.

I thought it was about the rugby 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What's the current rules on Passports, LFTs etc...

Is it back to over 10k folk again? I'm confused.

Yeah it's back to 10k+ and they are meant to be checking 50% of entrants to stadiums above that.