COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Perhaps I could have phrased it better. Fair enough. 
I do remember a few years ago when the idea of an expanded top division was mooted, that Michael Johnson and Geoff Brown were quoted as being against it. I can’t remember all the details, I’d have to look it up, but… I suspect their reasons were probably in line with what I’m saying. 

Your chairperson is against it as well. Unless it's for one season to keep Hearts in the top league. She would go further and wipe out half the teams in Scotland because, you know, big clubs and that.

24 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Your chairperson is against it as well. Unless it's for one season to keep Hearts in the top league. She would go further and wipe out half the teams in Scotland because, you know, big clubs and that.

That’s some take. 😄

Are you referring to her comments on the number of full time and professional clubs?

Heard about some of the conversations that went on between our club and the SPFL yesterday. Apparently something like:
SMFC: ‘We have 9 available outfield players for this evening, we can’t play this game’
SPFL ‘Game needs to go ahead, we will let you break the loan rules and allow you to recall some of your players that are out on loan to get the game on’
SMFC: ‘Okay, we will recall Lewis Jamieson from ICT and Daniel Finlayson from Kelty. That will be a great help both of these guys have decent senior level experience’
SPFL ‘Em no not them. You can only recall players that are on loan at lowland league clubs’
SMFC ‘….’
The desperation from the SPFL for Celtic to get three points from that fixture last night was something else. All the more satisfying that they never managed it, then.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Heard about some of the conversations that went on between our club and the SPFL yesterday. Apparently something like:
SMFC: ‘We have 9 available outfield players for this evening, we can’t play this game’
SPFL ‘Game needs to go ahead, we will let you break the loan rules and allow you to recall some of your players that are out on loan to get the game on’
SMFC: ‘Okay, we will recall Lewis Jamieson from ICT and Daniel Finlayson from Kelty. That will be a great help both of these guys have decent senior level experience’
SPFL ‘Em no not them. You can only recall players that are on loan at lowland league clubs’
SMFC ‘….’
The desperation from the SPFL for Celtic to get three points from that fixture last night was something else. All the more satisfying that they never managed it, then.

Wasn't it a case you could only recall U18s?

39 minutes ago, Lex said:

SMFC ‘….’

Aye and the 6 1/2 minutes extra time for the 2nd game in a row

Unheard of in other games ………… BUT everyone is against them 

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

The fact that no benefits more from Old Firm away fans than Rangers and Celtic doesn't seem to occur to them.

They played one game each without away fans this season and lost them both. 

Erm, rangers played every away game with no fans last season and remained undefeated, 

8 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

The Rangers and Celtic claim that clubs are reliant on their home fans could be easily dismissed, if clubs reduced their away allocations, and didn’t actually budget for them turning up in such huge numbers. It would undoubtedly affect budgets, but until that happens, it’s hard to make a coherent argument that clubs don’t depend on them, whilst simultaneously depending on them.

Its a hugely unpopular opinion, but I’d like to see a cap put on the percentage of away supporters at any ground. Certainly never more than the home support. I believe this would stop the Old Firm having sway over how other clubs vote.

As I said, an unpopular opinion, and I get why, but it’s where I am. 

Club owners or majority shareholders would never agree to the cap simplu because a bad season and they actually might be better off giving the OF more seats

Didnt St Johnstone say jan 2020 that giving the OF 3 stands instead of two was potentially worth 6 figures a season extra and the remaining stand was enough space to accommodate their home fans as well 

Might be shite for the fans being moved but surely being moved a maximum 4 times a season that financially benefits the club and maybe helps improve the team is going to be more attractive, especially to the club owner

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wasn't it a case you could only recall U18s?

I don't think so, we started the match with two under 18s, and I think 3 of the players who started were only released from isolation a couple of hours before the game, well after the point the SPFL had insisted the game would go ahead, so some of the boys on the bench brought in from the lowland leagues must have been over 18 to make up the 10 over 18 players required to play.

I don't think so, we started the match with two under 18s, and I think 3 of the players who started were only released from isolation a couple of hours before the game, well after the point the SPFL had insisted the game would go ahead, so some of the boys on the bench brought in from the lowland leagues must have been over 18 to make up the 10 over 18 players required to play.

Urminsky is over 18, and I think Josh Jack is too. I don't think Jack was recalled unless I missed him being on loan somewhere.

One of the radio stations today were saying that New Rangers can and will ask for the rearranged New Firm match in February to be postponed as they have 3 players who may be at the African Nations Cup. 
St Mirren forced to play last night using youth players during a pandemic.

Level playing field?

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Urminsky is over 18, and I think Josh Jack is too. I don't think Jack was recalled unless I missed him being on loan somewhere.

The sub that came on, McManus is definitely 18, and was recalled from East Kilbride. Maybe it's his age at the start of the season that matters for loan recalls, but he was definitely counted as one of the required 18 or older players. 

49 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

One of the radio stations today were saying that New Rangers can and will ask for the rearranged New Firm match in February to be postponed as they have 3 players who may be at the African Nations Cup. 

Level playing field?

The 3 player rule has been in force in the UK for a while now. I know this because Cheltenham Town of all clubs used that rule to postpone a game last month and 2 of the 3 players, Pressley and Mebude were called up by Scotland.

48 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Level playing field?

Teams have always been able to request if games can be rearranged  if they have a minimum of 3 players missing for internationals. 

St Mirren should have had games rearranged, the way that the spfl have handled this has been ludicrous. 

59 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Level playing field?

They can ask but it won't be granted since this is not a recognised International window.

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Club owners or majority shareholders would never agree to the cap simplu because a bad season and they actually might be better off giving the OF more seats

Didnt St Johnstone say jan 2020 that giving the OF 3 stands instead of two was potentially worth 6 figures a season extra and the remaining stand was enough space to accommodate their home fans as well 

Might be shite for the fans being moved but surely being moved a maximum 4 times a season that financially benefits the club and maybe helps improve the team is going to be more attractive, especially to the club owner

Yeah, I acknowledge that it’s not a popular opinion.

Edited by Kyle Reese