COVID-19 In Scottish Football

No surprise to see the usual suspects on WAH going on a stamping their feet tantrum at the Aberdeen game being called off cos they are anti-SNP and/or pro-union.

As if a Holyrood government made up of another party - or a coalition - wouldn't likely be making the exact same decisions along with the SPFL/SFA in current circumstances.

If players / clubs stick to the guidelines & rules they signed up for to get go ahead for football to return then the games will get played.

A random player getting the virus through no fault of their own isn't going to attract the ire of the Scottish Gov but more instances like the 2 already where players are taking the piss is only going to end one way.

Having had time to think about this away from my initial knee-heartsfan, sorry, knee-jerk reaction that the “Aberdeen 8” need to be hung, drawn and quartered, I know have the following to offer.

Major league sports in the US are either being played in a “bubble” (NBA/NHL/MLS) or having the exact same issues as football here (MLB).

Talk is now about delaying the NFL until spring. This after allowing players to make a personal decision on whether or not to play this season and accept a reduced pay.

College sports (big, big business, often outsell the pros.) are slowly all coming round to the idea of delayed/cancelled seasons.

It’s time the SPFL and clubs take it on the chin and realise it’s time to either delay the season for several weeks/months or just abandon it now and plan for a “mini league” starting in February (or sometime).

I accept that, financially, this will likely cause severe hardship for clubs and probably result in some going to the wall, but I really can’t see a workable way to keep the season going short of:-
Teams will be “sequestered” at a “central hub” and games played at 2 or 3 fixed locations that are kept quarantined. Won’t need to be big stadia with no support present so they could, for example, use an existing sport complex/training ground/university.

3 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Having had time to think about this away from my initial knee-heartsfan, sorry, knee-jerk reaction that the “Aberdeen 8” need to be hung, drawn and quartered, I know have the following to offer.

Major league sports in the US are either being played in a “bubble” (NBA/NHL/MLS) or having the exact same issues as football here (MLB).

Talk is now about delaying the NFL until spring. This after allowing players to make a personal decision on whether or not to play this season and accept a reduced pay.

College sports (big, big business, often outsell the pros.) are slowly all coming round to the idea of delayed/cancelled seasons.

It’s time the SPFL and clubs take it on the chin and realise it’s time to either delay the season for several weeks/months or just abandon it now and plan for a “mini league” starting in February (or sometime).

I accept that, financially, this will likely cause severe hardship for clubs and probably result in some going to the wall, but I really can’t see a workable way to keep the season going short of:-
Teams will be “sequestered” at a “central hub” and games played at 2 or 3 fixed locations that are kept quarantined. Won’t need to be big stadia with no support present so they could, for example, use an existing sport complex/training ground/university.

Could we pause it for six months then finish last season?

Tests are give or take £50 each and two are required each week. Say £2,000 per week to Covid-19 secure a club.  Most clubs might be able to cope with that, but unless they all can, it's presumably a no go?  

Even if they can all afford it, can they require their players to bubble up properly, considering most are amateurs and apparently our highly paid professionals struggle?  Is there any point in trying if it is just doomed to fail?

14 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

IMO, the problem with US Sports is that the virus is not under control at all in US society at large, so the players that aren't living inside a bubble are significantly more likely to be infected.

I think the current model is perfectly sustainable unless there is a rise in cases in Scotland, or the players continue to break the guidelines.

Tests are give or take £50 each and two are required each week. Say £2,000 per week to Covid-19 secure a club.  Most clubs might be able to cope with that, but unless they all can, it's presumably a no go?  
Even if they can all afford it, can they require their players to bubble up properly, considering most are amateurs and apparently our highly paid professionals struggle?  Is there any point in trying if it is just doomed to fail?
The bold and gracious Jambo philanthropist has covered that already.

9 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
30 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The bold and gracious Jambo philanthropist has covered that already.

That will only last circa 6 months though per club at 2 tests a week though. 

Will Lowland League/Highland league clubs be testing? What happens when they enter the League cup etc. How can they justify the 2k a week! 

In short, both Aberdeen and Celtic have been duped by their employees . Lied to or at least having information essential to their employer/ employee/ social responsibility status undermined through irresponsible actions.  The players are the ones who transgressed and therefore should be the ones who are punished. Any employee who places themselves and others at risk , whatever job, need their baws / arse kicked and punished internally as appropriate. Their actions affect the livelihoods of their colleagues and should be dealt with severe. Not sure postponing games is the solution .

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Have the SPFL or SFA actually said or done anything about these aberdeen/celtic incidents?

After reaching their peak with Hearts, they're struggling to get motivated to do anything about Aberdeen or Celtic tbqh.

46 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Will Lowland League/Highland league clubs be testing? What happens when they enter the League cup etc. How can they justify the 2k a week! 

For League fixtures? Highly unlikely given the cost. I dare say Brora have been told they'll have to ahead of playing in the League Cup but may have been compensated with help with testing in lieu of playoffs at the end of last season. 

There’s no doubt the players broke the rules but maybe it’s time we took a look at the policy.
Its completely nonsensical.
Here in Scotland there have been no deaths for a few weeks and for anyone up to around 60 who’s in reasonable shape, you’ve as much chance of dying from COVID as being struck by lightning.
As this goes on, extra deaths from people not getting proper NHS treatment are piling up, cancers not being diagnosed, heart disease being ignored, you name it.
We also see unemployment ratcheting up, poverty increasing, education being lost, the population being muzzled,the whole fabric of society being destroyed for what????
Im probably in a minority of one but I fail to see the logic in this.
Sturgeon keeps banging on about eliminating the virus but the best that can be hoped for is containment and learning to live with it.
This current policy is madness and will do nothing other can condemn thousands to the scrap heap, destroy our liberties through needless muzzling , ruin society and increase illness and disease of the non COVID variety.
You do understand healthy people under 60 could spread the virus to vulnerable people under 60 or people over 60 who have a very good chance of dying?