Jump to content
Lex

COVID-19 In Scottish Football 2020/2021

Recommended Posts

 

We’re less than two weeks into the season and we’ve already had two known breaches of COVID-19 regulations by Scottish Premiership footballers. The actual breaches will be much higher of course, we just won’t know about the rest.

Aberdeen players fancied a cheeky pint after their game, breaking the four household rule and leading to at least one game being postponed.

Celtic player Boli Bolingoli made a secret trip to Spain and never quarantined on his return as per the legal requirements. Subsequently training with his team mates and playing against Kilmarnock. Do all of the players who he came into contact since his return now need to quarantine for two weeks? How many postponements will this clandestine holiday lead to?

Scottish Government now saying - unsurprisingly - that the season may be ‘paused’.

Where do we go from here? Just accept that the players can’t be trusted to keep to the rules and pause the season? Pause until when...? If they can’t be trusted now when can they be trusted? There’s no vaccine on the horizon and no end to this virus in the near future. It’s hard to see how this season gets finished.

 

 

IMG_3098.thumb.jpg.9fc4389c8bf49d5b55167c739ada34f3.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Lex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say: small point deductions and lengthy player suspensions going forward for covid regulation breaches.

Edited by G_H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t it three cases? Did Griffiths not get up to something too?

 

Wonder if the upcoming Celtic and Killie games get postponed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silence from the Hearts quarter about finishing last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a club's players break the rules then the opposition should be awarded the 3 points for games scheduled in the following 14 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumours going around Twitter that they're going to postpone all of the Premiership games this midweek and the weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect we will need to remove the third round of fixtures to build contingency into the season to allow for all the pauses and postponements 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any pausing of the league at this moment in time would be a ridiculous, knee-jerk reaction IMO. Giving the players more free time to go and take the piss out of regulations, rather than keeping them focused and reminding them of their responsibilities.

Although maybe the government can adopt the SQA policy and award points on a ‘what tax bracket are your club’s supporters in?’ basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are scottish government guidelines being flouted - not footballing ones. The scottish government should be enforcing these for everyone - including footballers. I don't see why any punishments should include the footballing authorities or clubs. If the SPFL really need to be seen by the government to do something then give suspensions to the individual players. Caught breaching the Scottish government guidelines? 14 days self isolation & a 3 game suspension beyond those 14 days. Will soon see players fall in line and if not they are just harming their own team. 

Remember this "2nd incident" took place before or at least as the Aberdeen story was coming out. Not as if Bolongoli saw the Aberdeen stuff and through "im away to Spain for a jolly". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think that the SPFL/SFA will come with a proposal to postpone all games involving Celtic and Killie for the next 2 weeks, any officials used in that game are also sidelined for the 2 weeks.  This all in the hope that the government will allow the rest of the league to continue. 

I don't know if that is even feasible since it's a very tight calendar this season, may have to chop off the split this season to make room (again, don't know if that's possible)

Going forward, there has to be some kind of punishment structure put in place by the governing bodies to show that these breaches are being taken seriously, the league's only in action under special dispensation of the SG, it could be taken away if they don't believe that the SPFL/SFA/Clubs are not taking their responsibilities seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ropy said:

I suspect we will need to remove the third round of fixtures to build contingency into the season to allow for all the pauses and postponements 

Two ways I see it going:

Remove the split completely and play 33 games

Split after 22 games, which gives you 32 games and Sky still get their 4 OF games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

You would think that the SPFL/SFA will come with a proposal to postpone all games involving Celtic and Killie for the next 2 weeks, any officials used in that game are also sidelined for the 2 weeks.  This all in the hope that the government will allow the rest of the league to continue. 

I don't know if that is even feasible since it's a very tight calendar this season, may have to chop off the split this season to make room (again, don't know if that's possible)

Going forward, there has to be some kind of punishment structure put in place by the governing bodies to show that these breaches are being taken seriously, the league's only in action under special dispensation of the SG, it could be taken away if they don't believe that the SPFL/SFA/Clubs are not taking their responsibilities seriously.

Do Celtic have a European tie in the next 10 - 14 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, G51 said:

Rumours going around Twitter that they're going to postpone all of the Premiership games this midweek and the weekend?

If true they honestly should just give it up. 

3 weeks in and we'll be at the point of more games called off then actually played. 

If this is the precident for calling off whole week worth of games then whats going to happen when there's the inevitable non rule breaking outbreaks at clubs... 

Always likely to happen in the winter. We'll be 20+ games down!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ropy said:

Do Celtic have a European tie in the next 10 - 14 days?

Yep, 18 or 19th August, completely forgot about that.

That probably makes my proposal a non starter (although you could change it to 1 week)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If true they honestly should just give it up. 

3 weeks in and we'll be at the point of more games called off then actually played. 

If this is the precident for calling off whole week worth of games then whats going to happen when there's the inevitable non rule breaking outbreaks at clubs... 

Always likely to happen in the winter. We'll be 20+ games down!

It's just a rumour for now, but I would really struggle to understand the logic behind this one.

Postponing Celtics games? Yeah, I could understand that. Killie? Bit of a stretch but again, understandable.

The other teams? I don't see the justification in terms of health risks. If it's about sending a message, surely that is better sent through discipline of individual players/clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were the Hibs players not uploading photos out together last weekend as well? Can't just hammer the Aberdeen players because they were the ones that got "caught" so to speak. The Bolingoli thing is absolutely ridiculous and I'd be surprised if not one other person at Celtic knew about it. 

As has been mentioned before, these cases will be the tip of the iceberg as far as footballers breaking "The Rules" and even more so when it comes to the rest of folk in society. Maybe not so much with the foreign trips stuff, but when the lower leagues kick off again you'd have to think there'll be players breaking the rules left right and centre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Killie shouldn’t be affected given his limited interaction, but Celtic may have to isolate the subs or the group he changed with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_3099.jpg

Decision this afternoon. I would be surprised if it doesn’t get paused tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, G51 said:

It's just a rumour for now, but I would really struggle to understand the logic behind this one.

Postponing Celtics games? Yeah, I could understand that. Killie? Bit of a stretch but again, understandable.

The other teams? I don't see the justification in terms of health risks. If it's about sending a message, surely that is better sent through discipline of individual players/clubs.

Unfortunately we live in a world where you regularly see everyone punished for the 'offences' of a few. Rather than deal with the culprits you get blanket bans and so on. The point made above is correct, this is a rule for ALL of us irrespective of your job, so if any player breaks the rule then the law should deal with them. If the club want to add a punishment as employer that is up to them. No other club, player or fan should suffer for the weakness and selfishness of any individual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...