COVID-19 In Scottish Football

13 hours ago, AJF said:

Some wise words from Goodwin here in my opinion. I think the headline is a bit misleading (shock) but he gets the point across well that there is a right way of raising issues and we don’t need to add any pressure to what is already a major issue in the sport at the moment.

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/st-mirren-jim-goodwin-accuses-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-of-public-shaming/

Goodwin always speaks well, his points are thought through and he doesn’t waste many words. 

As you say though, the headline is just clickbait designed to get Celtic fans backs up and people clicking on their link. It’s very unfair on Goodwin to use Lennon and McInnes’ names in the headline when Goodwin doesn’t mention them by name at any point in the interview.

That seems to be the way of the internet these days though, misleading headlines aimed at directing traffic to their website. Marvin Bartley had a go at the Daily Record yesterday for something similar, an attention grabbing headline that doesn’t reflect what was actually said. Surely there is an editorial code that these journalists and sub-editors need to abide by, but they seem to get away with it so they will keep doing it. 

5 hours ago, realmadrid said:

As someone who's been to a number of grounds this season in the league and league cup doing media work for Saints (we operate a rota so i've not been to every away game) there is a difference in the way each team runs their protocols. Most operate with online health checks that need to be completed on the day of the game, but twice i've had to bring paper copies  and at one there was just a heat check and one verbal question .  its the same with seating, number of stewards , press access after the game, the car park and registration of cars,  its all different at each ground but as far as I can see all very safe and very different from leaving McDiarmid on the 7th March 2020 after our last game pre lockdown.

Every club as far as I can see is trying their best and i've yet to see anything that I would think would give cause for concern where people follow the rules. I was in a ground where certain members of the press got too close to each other in the post game press conference but the clubs safety officer quickly sorted that out.

Just reading your post there and thinking how surreal all this is :lol: it truly is crazy times we are living through. Imagine someone telling you 13 months ago that no fans would be allowed in football stadiums, heat checks in place to gain entry, social distancing from all other human beings, mandatory wearing of a mask, and so on. I’m all for these protocols if it helps get the planet back to normal even a second quicker, but when you sit down and have a good think about what’s been going on for the past year it’s just madness.  

Edited by IrishBhoy

On 20/01/2021 at 08:19, Drew Brees said:

We can all edit posts to suit our argument.  I’ve already explained it was walking out of brockville , so not TFS. 

Towns  and villages the length and breadth of Scotland have loyalist/orange bands, halls etc and are not filled solely by rangers fans. Not getting why fans are so defensive on this, we all have bigoted fans at our clubs, some show themselves more than others but to deny it’s there is burying your head in the sand. I’ve been subject to it at 3 away grounds, all when walking away from the stadium, where the segregation has ended and fans pass each other in the streets. 

And yet you support a club built on bigotry?

19 hours ago, AJF said:

Some wise words from Goodwin here in my opinion. I think the headline is a bit misleading (shock) but he gets the point across well that there is a right way of raising issues and we don’t need to add any pressure to what is already a major issue in the sport at the moment.

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/st-mirren-jim-goodwin-accuses-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-of-public-shaming/

Jim goodwin had his rant when his keepers were out.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Jim goodwin had has rant when his keepers were out.

Did he lie about other teams facilities and try to throw everyone else under the bus, from the Scotland National team to a Scottish politician? Did he start his interview by saying he’s sick of lies being spread, before then going on to spread lies himself? Did he claim that the Covid protocols around self isolation were ‘ludicrous’? Did he try to defend his teams professionalism at the same time as saying they were drinking alcohol on their day off? That’s just what I can remember, almost every word out his mouth was a contradiction of something he had said himself, or Kennedy or Lawwell had said in the days previous.

I can’t even remember Goodwins interview around that time, but I guarantee it wasn’t in any way comparable to the nonsense Lennon came away with on Monday. Why you feel the need to defend him after watching that interview is beyond me. 

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Did he lie about other teams facilities and try to throw everyone else under the bus, from the Scotland National team to a Scottish politician? Did he start his interview by saying he’s sick of lies being spread, before then going on to spread lies himself? Did he claim that the Covid protocols around self isolation were ‘ludicrous’? Did he try to defend his teams professionalism at the same time as saying they were drinking alcohol on their day off? That’s just what I can remember, almost every word out his mouth was a contradiction of something he had said himself, or Kennedy or Lawwell had said in the days previous.

I can’t even remember Goodwins interview around that time, but I guarantee it wasn’t in any way comparable to the nonsense Lennon came away with on Monday. Why you feel the need to defend him after watching that interview is beyond me. 

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If only he had had a big squad. Oh, wait...

You guys haven't got a clue,any player catching the virus is a joke to you?

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It would be interesting to see how many football people have caught the virus while continuing to play the game.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but it would be nearly impossible for a club to continue to play a player who had tested positive for COVID.

Mostly because a) test results have to be reported to the JRG, b) maintaining an elite athlete's fitness standards while suffering from a respiratory disease seems unlikely, and c) I'd imagine the players team mates, who would clearly be at risk of contracting the virus (and in all likelihood would contract it) might be quite upset at that.

24 minutes ago, G51 said:

Not sure what you're getting at here, but it would be nearly impossible for a club to continue to play a player who had tested positive for COVID.

Mostly because a) test results have to be reported to the JRG, b) maintaining an elite athlete's fitness standards while suffering from a respiratory disease seems unlikely, and c) I'd imagine the players team mates, who would clearly be at risk of contracting the virus (and in all likelihood would contract it) might be quite upset at that.

Don’t expect @wastecoatwilly to respond to this. As soon as logic and reasoning is brought into a debate, he moves on to his next topic and the cycle continues.

19 hours ago, G51 said:

It's interesting that it seems to be the managers under pressure coming out with major concerns around COVID halfway through the season.

I don't think McInnes was under any pressure when he first raised it in December.

If anyone has any concerns then they absolutely should be raising it. Publicly like Lennon is obviously out of order if he has not made the opposition teams aware privately.

27 minutes ago, G51 said:

Lets be clear here football is only going ahead because of contractual reasons it's not for the safety of the people in football as a business this risk is worth it or is it?
It's very possible any body within the game that catches the virus could have long term issues or even die but this is still a risk football is willing to take.
Having a pop at any manager having a rant because one or two of there players have caught the virus is crass.  

How long do we reckon it's going to be until fans are allowed back in the ground as normal (ie. February 2020) with no restrictions on attendance etc.?

I fear the overcautiousness of the SG means we'll spend August and September 2021 having 'test events' of about 1000, 2000 fans. Then we hit October and, out of fear of the NHS collapsing again, tiered restrictions are brought back in and we're lucky to have normal football grounds by the spring of 2022.

I'd love to hear otherwise to help ease my completely unfounded fears.

Just now, HibsFan said:

How long do we reckon it's going to be until fans are allowed back in the ground as normal (ie. February 2020) with no restrictions on attendance etc.?

I fear the overcautiousness of the SG means we'll spend August and September 2021 having 'test events' of about 1000, 2000 fans. Then we hit October and, out of fear of the NHS collapsing again, tiered restrictions are brought back in and we're lucky to have normal football grounds by the spring of 2022.

I'd love to hear otherwise to help ease my completely unfounded fears.

I think you're pretty spot on. the SG have to be overly cautious.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think you're pretty spot on. the SG have to be overly cautious.

Do they have to be? If, by September, every adult in the UK has been vaccinated, I cannot see the reasoning for not allowing fans back into the ground as normal. Extra hand sanitiser, maybe a seat apart if capacity outstrips attendance, but what would be the reason for being overly cautious?

The SNP's attitude towards football (at times ranging from mild dislike to outright hostility) has made me pretty anxious that they won't be making sensible decisions, and if anything liking the control they have over clubs in dictating when and how many they can allow in.