COVID-19 In Scottish Football

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Today: Nicola Sturgeon admits she fears there will be no large-scale events and festivals this summer

Should be able to watch a few games at Rugby park then.

11 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Heard yesterday that Glastonbury is cancelled so I’d imagine Nic will follow suit and ban similar events.  

The Glastonbury organisers have unilaterally chosen to cancel the event in advance to avoid uncertainty. It does not follow that a leader would choose to ban events six months in advance when she has no idea what the situation will be like - that is not her decision to make. I don't think there are any similar events to Glastonbury in Scotland anyway, it attracts over 200,000 people most years.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think there are any similar events to Glastonbury in Scotland anyway, it attracts over 200,000 people most years

Apart from the annual "Celtic fans that claim they were in Seville" reunion party?

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Again, that's not what Israel are reporting.

It's really irresponsible to repeat this stuff without context: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55734257

Last I'm saying on it because this stuff should really be in the specific rona thread.

Also of the mindset we won't be seeing any big return of fans this season, but cheers for the article, answered a few questions I had.

Some wise words from Goodwin here in my opinion. I think the headline is a bit misleading (shock) but he gets the point across well that there is a right way of raising issues and we don’t need to add any pressure to what is already a major issue in the sport at the moment.

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/st-mirren-jim-goodwin-accuses-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-of-public-shaming/

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Some wise words from Goodwin here in my opinion. I think the headline is a bit misleading (shock) but he gets the point across well that there is a right way of raising issues and we don’t need to add any pressure to what is already a major issue in the sport at the moment.

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/st-mirren-jim-goodwin-accuses-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-of-public-shaming/

It's interesting that it seems to be the managers under pressure coming out with major concerns around COVID halfway through the season.

37 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yup, Goodwin is right here.

43 minutes ago, G51 said:

It's interesting that it seems to be the managers under pressure coming out with major concerns around COVID halfway through the season.

Aye, funny that.

Goodwin is spot on with what he said. There is a way to go about highlighting concerns so that those concerns actually get looked into and actioned where needed. Publicly digging up St Johnstone and Hamilton (accurately or not) as part of a scattergun angry press conference certainly isnt it.

Given the lower leagues have now been paused, you'd like to think/hope that clubs would have some sort of collective responsibility to keep everyone safe rather than just mouthing off in the press.

STEVEN  GERRARD has defended Premiership rivals over Covid-19 safety fears — and says clubs have gone “above and beyond”.
Hampden’s Joint Response Group has asked teams to conduct an urgent review of procedures after complaints from bosses Neil Lennon and Derek McInnes

But Rangers manager Gerrard takes a different view and revealed he’s had no issues at any away grounds this season.
He said: “We have been very satisfied. I think you can see all the efforts across the board. Everyone’s doing whatever they can in their own situation and going above and beyond to try and make it as safe as possible for everyone visiting the grounds.
“It’s none of my business to comment on what other clubs are doing, but I have been impressed by the effort everyone has tried to make.
“Our focus has been very much on trying to make Rangers the best and safest place for people to come in, to give people the best areas and try to treat them as best as we can.

“I’ve been so impressed by our medical department, led by Dr Mark Waller, in terms of what they have done and given through this pandemic.
“They have tried to make Ibrox the best and safest place for our own players and staff, but also for people coming in from a distance

Sorry to [mention=79846]G51[/mention] to keep harping on about this but here’s Skys take on the Israel efficacy question.
Vaccine 'won't necessarily' stop infections
https://news.sky.com/video/share-12193074

I reckon in future we will still be seeing high numbers of cases but that won’t be the driver for lockdown decisions.
The focus will solely be on how many people are getting seriously ill in hospital and hopefully, the vaccinations will keep these numbers low enough to allow life to get on something towards normality....

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Sorry to @G51 to keep harping on about this but here’s Skys take on the Israel efficacy question.
Vaccine 'won't necessarily' stop infections
https://news.sky.com/video/share-12193074

Please understand the difference between vaccine efficacy (which measures how effective a vaccine is at providing immunity) and the effect of a vaccine on rate of transmission (which relates to whether those injected with a vaccine will transmit COVID to others). They are not the same. The first is a necessity, the second is a bonus.

If the vaccine had no impact whatsoever on transmission, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. We'd just all get coronavirus every so often and brush it off after a few days, like we do with a cold. COVID would become endemic. It would likely mutate very quickly, and we'd have to have regular COVID vaccines, but it wouldn't be a major deal.

However, if it does have an impact on transmission, then there's less COVID kicking about, which means it has less opportunity to mutate, which means it's much less of a hassle.

The video you're posting relates to transmission, not vaccine efficacy.

The most recent news on vaccine efficacy, released tonight, is overwhelmingly positive and backs the stance taken by the UK's vaccine regulator to delay the second dose: https://www.ft.com/content/4d9fe80d-e604-4bbe-b0f8-fd4b8df9b7f1

Please understand the difference between vaccine efficacy (which measures how effective a vaccine is at providing immunity) and the effect of a vaccine on rate of transmission (which relates to whether those injected with a vaccine will transmit COVID to others). They are not the same. The first is a necessity, the second is a bonus.
If the vaccine had no impact whatsoever on transmission, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. We'd just all get coronavirus every so often and brush it off after a few days, like we do with a cold. COVID would become endemic. It would likely mutate very quickly, and we'd have to have regular COVID vaccines, but it wouldn't be a major deal.
However, if it does have an impact on transmission, then there's less COVID kicking about, which means it has less opportunity to mutate, which means it's much less of a hassle.
The video you're posting relates to transmission, not vaccine efficacy.
The most recent news on vaccine efficacy, released tonight, is overwhelmingly positive and backs the stance taken by the UK's vaccine regulator to delay the second dose: https://www.ft.com/content/4d9fe80d-e604-4bbe-b0f8-fd4b8df9b7f1

I think I clarified that point in my updated point above but take your point.
Good clarifying article though...

7 hours ago, AJF said:

As someone who's been to a number of grounds this season in the league and league cup doing media work for Saints (we operate a rota so i've not been to every away game) there is a difference in the way each team runs their protocols. Most operate with online health checks that need to be completed on the day of the game, but twice i've had to bring paper copies  and at one there was just a heat check and one verbal question .  its the same with seating, number of stewards , press access after the game, the car park and registration of cars,  its all different at each ground but as far as I can see all very safe and very different from leaving McDiarmid on the 7th March 2020 after our last game pre lockdown.

Every club as far as I can see is trying their best and i've yet to see anything that I would think would give cause for concern where people follow the rules. I was in a ground where certain members of the press got too close to each other in the post game press conference but the clubs safety officer quickly sorted that out.