COVID-19 In Scottish Football

19 minutes ago, akuram said:

The club needs to respond.

Nah, not for me.

It's nothing more than the rantings of a drunken, embarrassing, shambles.

Club has no need to dignify his shite with a response.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Whether it was illegal or not is beside the point.
The FM has been continually advising around essential travel only and that people shouldn't be looking to exploit loopholes or beat the system.
Its not for the Scottish Government to babysit and handhold individual clubs either.
Celtic have gone abroad acting the big man - look how big a club we are going to Dubai - Its come back to hit them in the face.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Apparently celtic asked/demanded that Hibs moved their game 8 times before the SPFL stepped in.

They really wanted that Dubai trip.

In Lennons' defence, if my employer agreed for me to take me and my whole team on an all expenses paid trip to warm, sunny Dubai in January I would absolutely push for it as well*. Its not as if this isnt Lennon's last management gig at a club who can afford such luxuries. The answer from Lawwell, however, should have been a swift naw.

Also got to admire the guy to some degree. He said he asked for this in November, when Celtic were on their horrendous run of form. Imagine getting pumped 4-1 at home to Sparta Prague and having the brass neck to ask for a lads holiday off the back of it.

*wouldnt be thick enough to do it when the country is about to go in to lockdown...obviously

21 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It started with photo's at the pool, Darryl Broadfoot was correct it's all about perception.

So I'll ask you a few questions and I'll try and be as clear as possible to avoid confusion and minimise the risk of you talking in riddles.

Do you agree with the following things that Lennon came out with yesterday:

1. The social distancing rules are ridiculous
  2. It's not a matter of public safety and that this is all a political exercise
  3. Celtic have acted professionally throughout this episode
  4. He claimed Celtic have had no cases (despite 2 positive results in the last 10 days)

25 minutes ago, Richie said:

Whether it was illegal or not is beside the point.
The FM has been continually advising around essential travel only and that people shouldn't be looking to exploit loopholes or beat the system.
Its not for the Scottish Government to babysit and handhold individual clubs either.
Celtic have gone abroad acting the big man - look how big a club we are going to Dubai - Its come back to hit them in the face.

You've nailed it.

The crucial point that lennon isn't getting is that the Dubai trip happened a matter of days after the First Minister announced new measures.

We all had to re-evaluate, adapt, and change plans, but celtic decided it was perfectly fine to go ahead as planned.

lennon says the decision was his. rather than lawell's, so he is culpable.

In light of the celtic fan protests in December, lennon maybe felt it would be safer to get out of town after the derby.

celtic fans (and everyone else) then saw pictures of them sipping drinks around a pool in a glamourous setting a matter of hours after losing a crucial derby, while the rest of us have to stay at home.

The whole Dubai trip has massively backfired on celtic - it's affected their team selections, and results, and lawell and lennon's statements have only served to make matters worse.

Any stick they're getting is deserved - there's no agenda, and it's not political.

Edited by paranoid android

10 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Remember when Celtic fans used to laugh at Rangers for their (equally pathetic) BBC stance?

This is why they all sit there nodding their heads in a sycophantic way. Sky editors should back their journalists and tell Celtic it isn't a problem, they will focus on other clubs until tempers have cooled.

They won't of course, but that is their choice and why they will follow every other two bob outfit in reporting.

15 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Remember when Celtic fans used to laugh at Rangers for their (equally pathetic) BBC stance?

Yip and it's done for exactly the same reasons.

A total misuse of power in a bid to silence people and ensure all coverage is sycophantic in nature.  Embarrassing stuff.

Incidentally, football could take a leaf out of Formula One's book and make it compulsory for team managers and players to be available for interview at set times. The sport as a whole needs sponsors, sponsors need exposure and that happens at interviews. 

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Incidentally, football could take a leaf out of Formula One's book and make it compulsory for team managers and players to be available for interview at set times. The sport as a whole needs sponsors, sponsors need exposure and that happens at interviews. 

I always thought it was written into the tv deals that they need to provide a member of the coaching/playing staff to do interviews.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

I always thought it was written into the tv deals that they need to provide a member of the coaching/playing staff to do interviews.

I think it is for live tv so tomorrow will be interesting. Chances are Sky will revel in it though in the short term which is as long as Lennon is likely to last.

Edit - Be amusing if Andy Walker arrives on site about the same time as Celtic tomorrow, though he probably has a completely different entrance and parking area to the Celtic team .

Edited by Skyline Drifter