COVID-19 In Scottish Football

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The bit that irritated me was the way the journalists in attendance on Zoom, all tiptoed round him.

Standing back and allowing him to slaughter himself perhaps seemed prudent, but it smacked to me of cowardice.  

I'd have liked to have seen him challenged on the idea that having only 2 positive cases represented some sort of triumph.  I'd have liked him to have seen challenged on taking a player on crutches, if this was really some intensive training camp.

Given that he got word during the press conference about the second positive test, I wondered if he'd also got word instructing him to shut up and leave, given that it all seemed to end abruptly and weirdly.

Altogether, it was utterly disgraceful.

Had there been journalists in physical attendance I think we might have witnessed a wee Jim moment . 

I hope St Johnstone now give a response to this dressing room rant from Neil Lennon.
Did Celtic use the away dressing room?
Is it smaller than the home one?
Why?
Do the away teams use the Astra turf changing rooms?
How do our changing rooms compare to the other 11 clubs?

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Our worst season in 20 years, if it gets any worse we are reaching levels of the mid 90's which is funnily enough long enough to be considered a generation.

Who mentioned anything about fans? Spartak Moscow are ripping the pish out of Celtic on twitter re Dubai trip, is Moscow far enough away for you to be considered international?

Safe to assume if its known about in Moscow it may have reached other places outwith the UK

6 whole years without a trophy? How our hearts bleed for you. How did you cope?

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was anyone else surprised to discover that around 60 people made the trip?

Until yesterday, I'd assumed that around 20-25 had gone.  How can running the trip on such a scale right now, possibly be justified?

I thought the same as you, regarding 25-30 going. 60 seems over the top.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was anyone else surprised to discover that around 60 people made the trip?

Until yesterday, I'd assumed that around 20-25 had gone.  How can running the trip on such a scale right now, possibly be justified?

Isn’t the first team squad something ridiculous like 50 players?  If it was training then you have to take the whole squad no?

I still can't believe he has either completely missed the point or is wilfully ignoring it.

To focus on 'breaking laws' or a 'wee drink by the pool' as if that's the real issue is just so tone deaf it's incredible. I know he has form for a heads gone but I got the impression from Lawwell's shite apology last week that maybe they were beginning to see that this trip was, at the very least, a PR nightmare. Lennon has had 10 days in isolation to reflect on this and he thought this was the best approach? Come out swinging, accept no responsibility, call it bullying, a witch hunt, a political thing and beyond?

Do they not have a press team that brief him before these things? Or does he just completely ignore it.

In truth, I thought the Lawell 'apology' was really poor too, aiming it only at Celtic fans and suggesting that hindsight was necessary to see the trip as a mistake.

Compared to Lennon's absolute idiocy yesterday though, it seemed positively statesmanlike.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

That old boy Frank on Call Kaye couldn't have been a more stereotypical Sellikfootballclub fan if he tried.

Plenty of bluster about how they are the greatest club in the world because they give a few quid to charidee now and again as well as declaring that the media and the rest of Scotland hate Neil Lennon and Sellikfootballclub just because they are Catholic.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The bit that irritated me was the way the journalists in attendance on Zoom, all tiptoed round him.

Standing back and allowing him to slaughter himself perhaps seemed prudent, but it smacked to me of cowardice.  

I'd have liked to have seen him challenged on the idea that having only 2 positive cases represented some sort of triumph.  I'd have liked him to have seen challenged on taking a player on crutches, if this was really some intensive training camp.

Given that he got word during the press conference about the second positive test, I wondered if he'd also got word instructing him to shut up and leave, given that it all seemed to end abruptly and weirdly.

Altogether, it was utterly disgraceful.

I'm not remotely concerned about whether Julien went or not. Like the photos at the poolside I don't see it as a big deal. They either went or they didn't. Their physios and medical people were presumably there too. He said there were about 60 away. I don't think it's unreasonable if they are going partly for training, partly for a team bonding recharge of the batteries, that Julien travels and continues daily treatment on site. It's not important and the fact he's the one who got it is coincidental. It's the same as Lennon's deflection about conga lines, it misses the point. The point was, regardless of whether it was technically allowed or not, it was completely contrary to the cautious message led by the Govt and adopted by the SFA and  (largely) the rest of the country and a horrendous example for anyone. An entirely "we're Celtic, restrictions don't apply to us, we'll do what we want and behave as normal" approach to life. And Lennon can try to take the blame for that if he wants, as he desperately tries to ingratiate himself with his bosses by taking some heat off them, but that's a decision that SHOULD have been taken over his head. When Lennon said, "I want to take the boys away to Dubai again, like usual. It's allowed under the rules", Lawwell should have gently reminded him of the big picture and ruled it out.

Whilst I'm not sure it would have been any different in person, with journalists fawning around desperate to avoid a stadium ban, I do think it will much more difficult to interject on Zoom than in person. It probably added to his out of control rant to be honest. If people in a room had been visually shocked he might have realised more quickly that it was all going wrong. Maybe not though, he was by then in full rant mode. I agree it looked like he was eventually instructed to draw it to an immediate close.

This must have left Celtic in a very difficult position. Their manager going full tonto loose cannon is problematic, particularly effectively publicly saying the National Govt policy on isolation is "ridiculous". It's borderline anti-vaxxer stuff and I'm genuinely surprised he's not already away. They aren't winning this league in a month of Sundays so it's not going to change anything. Surely nobody seriously thinks he's going to be in charge next season? They can't really issue a statement disagreeing with his comments whilst leaving him in charge. He's contradicted much of the "apology" his CEO gave earlier in the week. In any other environment his position is untenable.

Edited by Skyline Drifter