COVID-19 In Scottish Football

As a Ross County fan who accepted relegation several weeks ago, I don't think I'd kick up a fuss if they called the season now - we're objectively the worst team in the league. Although I'd point out that it's not the exact same situation as last season given there's more games left (in County's case, 15 compared to 8.) and there's less points separating County, Motherwell, Accies, and St Johnstone, than there was separating Hearts and Accies last season.

What I wouldn't do is embarrass myself online and in public like a large number of Hearts, Partick Thistle, and Falkirk fans did. I certainly wouldn't spend months on here having a tear stained meltdown.

Edited by yoda

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

There should be measures  put in place ( possibly from the SFA)  covering all eventualities  , not just pandemics.  

The SFA should not dictate the rules of league competitions, it has no jurisdiction in this area.

When we consider the likely threats to the league season post-COVID, the one that springs to mind is climate change. But what does climate change related disruption look like? Hard to say until we get there.

Guest TheJTS98
20 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Apologies.  The executive should have demanded it. 

Also the clubs.

If their website is up to date, the clubs with the ability to make that suggestion (to be voted on) since July last year are: Celtic, St Johnstone, Hamilton Accies, Alloa, Dunfermline, and Clyde.

Edited by TheJTS98

17 hours ago, virginton said:

If cup games can be forfeited due to Covid then league games can be as well. There is no distinction between the two. Your failure to explain what actions Saint Mirren did to address this burning injustice of a sanction prior to losing a game to Covid - after your 17th outbreak at the club - tells us all that we need to know.

All clubs in the SPFL were asked to vote if a 3-0 forfeit was acceptable in League games that had to be cancelled due to illness by Covid. The motion was thrown out by a large majority. Then the SPFL Board, in direct contradiction to its members' wishes, imposed such a sanction.

This is a punishment that has never been imposed on a League game, ever, for the simple reason that League games can be rescheduled whereas Cup games mostly have tight time-frames to be completed.  Hence total rejection by the Clubs as far too harsh a punishment.

St Mirren, like many Clubs have got some things wrong. However every other time a team is 'unable to fulfil a fixture', for any reason, the League game is rescheduled but for some inexplicable reason not  if it is an illness due to Covid. So why is flu acceptable to reschedule but Covid not?

As a Ross County fan who accepted relegation several weeks ago, I don't think I'd kick up a fuss if they called the season now - we're objectively the worst team in the league. Although I'd point out that it's not the exact same situation as last season given there's more games left (in County's case, 15 compared to 8.) and there's less points separating County, Motherwell, Accies, and St Johnstone, than there was separating Hearts and Accies last season.
What I wouldn't do is embarrass myself online and in public like a large number of Hearts, Partick Thistle, and Falkirk fans did. I certainly wouldn't spend months on here having a tear stained meltdown.
Speak for yourself. I'll be demanding that we take every club in the land to court and will start following the Hearts Twitter account just so I can reply to every Tweet they post letting them know they'll never see the Teuchter Pound again.

At least we'll have an actual sucesfull businessperson fighting our corner.

13 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Also the clubs.

If their website is up to date, the clubs with the ability to make that suggestion (to be voted on) since July last year are: Celtic, St Johnstone, Hamilton Accies, Alloa, Dunfermline, and Clyde.

Every club can propose motions to be voted on.

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every club can propose motions to be voted on.

I know that. I was responding to a post that gave the view that the Executive should have done it.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Think this was the outcome after the clubs were consulted about the options if the season was curtailed. Doncaster said there wasn’t enough support for any particular solution to be put to a vote.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-latest-club-consultation-response

"- 19 clubs felt that it was “too early to take decisions now” and that decisions on any Covid-19 related disruption should be considered later in the season."

We'll wait and see where we are in the league, thanks.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Regardless of views, they have to follow the precedent set if it comes to pass. They don't have any real option.

They don't have to and they do. Not least given the fact that most of the leagues aren't at halfway completion yet and won't get there for the foreseeable future beneath Championship level.

If the situation requires packing in the season - which given the grotesque prioritisation of sport over individual liberties and sheer pointlessness of the exercise from a commercial standpoint it really should - then I'd suggest that it would be more of a bespoke resolution than last season when everyone was in the same boat. The Premiership will likely continue but the Championship could be called soon and the leagues below scratched. 

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's such a staggeringly obvious task left undone that it cannot be put down to incompetence. Clubs have left themselves wriggle room to be able to try and negotiate from any position. Those running our game (the clubs) don't want it run well, they want it run to their advantage. And we may be about to endure another few months of utter chaos as a result.

That's what I think as well.  It's all about self-preservation.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

If it does get cancelled it not only shows the utter incompetence of the governing bodies but also of the contempt to the fans who have payed for virtual season tickets to find themselves in the lottery of musical chairs again.

This is how I feel.  It's just a massive big f**k you, shut up and pay your money.

But then we're probably all as bad as our clubs.  As long as our own clubs are fine, we'll happily point and laugh at the ones who aren't.

If it was a local under 14's school tournament and something similar happened it would get sorted and they'd have strict rules and guidelines moving forward.  There'd be a huge outcry if it wasn't and chairperson's getting told to step down etc etc.  Genuinely, our national professional sport is run more shambolically than many local volunteer sports leagues.

(And I'm talking about this season not learning from last season and having rules in place.  Last season the outcome was pretty much unavoidable imo).

I don't get the clamour to have football stopped because other things have stopped as well.

The whole point of the restrictions are to ensure public safety. Football without crowds is a low-risk activity - the number of positive tests we've had in the top two SPFL leagues this season are very small.

Stopping a low-risk activity just to show some kind of weird, twisted solidarity with other industries that cannot open because they are high-risk is daft.

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Aye, winning that league title and stopping Celtic from winning 10 in a row is far more important than anyone's health.

Thsts a rather twattish thing to post Snaffers.

6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

People brushed off the suggestion when I mentioned that this might happen again in 20/21. Even last week people were still brushing it off.

Bizarre, since it was obvious to anybody with access to tv or a newspaper last summer that the 20/21 season finishing is not a gimmie. Yet, outrageously, the season was allowed to begin with no guidelines in place for how to deal with a season curtailed after 10 games, or 10-15 games, or 16-20 games etc.

It's such a staggeringly obvious task left undone that it cannot be put down to incompetence. Clubs have left themselves wriggle room to be able to try and negotiate from any position. Those running our game (the clubs) don't want it run well, they want it run to their advantage. And we may be about to endure another few months of utter chaos as a result.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

The SPFL is the clubs.

Sorry, I missed your earlier post and that basically  is my take on things as well.   

1 hour ago, rainbowrising said:

You still end up with 'the SPFL is the clubs'.

Their attempt to get some kind of power to call a season due to extreme circumstances was knocked back by the clubs. Any executive demand will also be judged and decide upon by the clubs. 

Which could end in disaster again. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

In my very humble opinion it's been most unfair to Hearts fans that they've not actually been able to experience the novelty of a few different away days this season. So voiding certainly has its merits.

They had the opportunity to visit most of those places not that long ago.

They’ve basically been deprived of days out in Ayr & Arbroath.  Lucky escape imo.

56 minutes ago, G51 said:

I don't get the clamour to have football stopped because other things have stopped as well.

The whole point of the restrictions are to ensure public safety. Football without crowds is a low-risk activity - the number of positive tests we've had in the top two SPFL leagues this season are very small.

Stopping a low-risk activity just to show some kind of weird, twisted solidarity with other industries that cannot open because they are high-risk is daft.

I've been asking that for weeks when people say "footballs got to be stopped"

What would the benefit of it being stopped? Stopping full time football would have very little impact on the spread. 

It's almost as bad as those claiming the part time football was stopped "because Celtic went to Dubai". 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.