COVID-19 In Scottish Football

9 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Well, you'd like to think so. I'm not so sure, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of games played suddenly becoming a factor. I don't see any evidence that any club is going to accept anything that it thinks it can get away with.

This, of course, is why the clubs didn't set out a strategy for dealing with a curtailed season. Nobody wants to be bottom after 20 games having signed up to a document that says you go down if you're bottom after 20 games but stay up after 19 games. The clubs all want room to wriggle out of stuff.

There's nothing to suggest Bun Fight 2 would be any cleaner than the first time.

Well, nothing particularly surprises me.

We disagreed on last Summer's outcome but I'm sure we can agree that it's an absolute farce how much say the club's have over matters like these, or that even with hindsight there isn't a clear plan in place.

If they were to go against last season's precedent, having fought for it in court, the SPFL exec really would need to get in the sea.

12 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Why didn't they ask the clubs to vote on the outcomes in a cancelled season then? If you ask clubs in August for a vote then you get their honest answer, ask them in January and they vote on their current league position.

A precedent was set last season and whether it was correct or not it could then be used from now on. Scenarios like anything above 70% of league games played then it is a PPG outcome. Under 70% then void it. They could have sat in a room and decided what they thought was acceptable.

If it does get cancelled it not only shows the utter incompetence of the governing bodies but also of the contempt to the fans who have payed for virtual season tickets to find themselves in the lottery of musical chairs again.

Exactly this but I would also add the clubs to your last paragraph in regard to showing contempt to the fans. 

25 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Why didn't they ask the clubs to vote on the outcomes in a cancelled season then? If you ask clubs in August for a vote then you get their honest answer, ask them in January and they vote on their current league position.

A precedent was set last season and whether it was correct or not it could then be used from now on. Scenarios like anything above 70% of league games played then it is a PPG outcome. Under 70% then void it. They could have sat in a room and decided what they thought was acceptable.

If it does get cancelled it not only shows the utter incompetence of the governing bodies but also of the contempt to the fans who have payed for virtual season tickets to find themselves in the lottery of musical chairs again.

There’s your answer.  This was entirely foreseeable and completely avoidable.  No surprises a hash has been made of it.

Guest TheJTS98
22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We disagreed on last Summer's outcome but I'm sure we can agree that it's an absolute farce how much say the club's have over matters like these, or that even with hindsight there isn't a clear plan in place.

The whole thing just makes me really envy Doncaster. For all the slaggings he gets, the guy's a genius. It's really just his job to front up in the press and be a lightning rod for stick the clubs should be getting. I'd take his cash to do that.

Guest TheJTS98
34 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Good post, but I think we need to stop using the euphemism that the clubs want us to use.

The governing body is the clubs. It's the clubs who run football badly in Scotland.

The 'precedent' of last season was that it was voted upon, not the outcome of the vote.

Therefore any voting doesn't have to produce the same result, only that a vote is held at all.

The clubs only have themselves to blame for this situation this season. They refused to give the SPFL the power to make decisions and also refused to put forward any of their own proposals. As we saw with Hearts' numerous garbage reconstruction proposals last year, clubs are welcome to submit their own ideas on things, yet, as far as I know, not a single one of them have put forward any sort of proposal in regards to what happens should the season have to ended early.

16 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Exactly this but I would also add the clubs to your last paragraph in regard to showing contempt to the fans. 

Yes, the clubs have a responsibility here and they should have got together and worked out  possible conclusions to the season as well given last years disaster.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The 'precedent' of last season was that it was voted upon, not the outcome of the vote.

Therefore any voting doesn't have to produce the same result, only that a vote is held at all.

The clubs only have themselves to blame for this situation this season. They refused to give the SPFL the power to make decisions and also refused to put forward any of their own proposals. As we saw with Hearts' numerous garbage reconstruction proposals last year, clubs are welcome to submit their own ideas on things, yet, as far as I know, not a single one of them have put forward any sort of proposal in regards to what happens should the season have to ended early.

Yes, the clubs are 100% culpable here.

When I said they had no other real option based on precedent, that wasn't from a legal perspective, more from a moral/integrity of the competition perspective. They can of course take the decision to take a hatchet to any remaining credibility the league may or may not have.

9 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Good post, but I think we need to stop using the euphemism that the clubs want us to use.

The governing body is the clubs. It's the clubs who run football badly in Scotland.

That is absolutely true. 

Just now, ahemps said:

Yes, the clubs have a responsibility here and they should have got together and worked out  possible conclusions to the season as well given last years disaster.

The SPFL should have demanded it and not allowed the season to start until it was worked out. 

But would the TV companies have allowed such a sensible proposal ?  They , after all , are the SPFL's sugar daddy. 

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The SPFL should have demanded it and not allowed the season to start until it was worked out. 

But would the TV companies have allowed such a sensible proposal ?  They , after all , are the SPFL's sugar daddy. 

The SPFL is the clubs.

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I don't see why not, if the season is to be cancelled then they wouldn't be getting their games anyway. I am sure they have thought about this scenario and are making sure they are not losing out should this happen again.

There'd be many more balls in the air this time around if it came to another vote. Off the top of my head:

• The possibility of ending the league but continuing the play-offs if time becomes the main issue.
  • More knowledge of issues with TV payments/auditing of accounts due to Covid.
  • Any team close to 3rd place in the top flight will be desperate to get the (not confirmed, but expected) automatic group stage place in Europe.
  • 5th place in top flight possibly getting a European place too.
  • Already shortened season for the Championship, L1 & L2.
  • One or two clubs feeling they have to maintain their position from last year (obviously not if voting for their own relegation but accepting fractions of a point outwith play-off places).

FWIW, I think the leagues will finish. The only thing stopping it is major issues with the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Should have been decided before the league started, but the executive will likely get away with it because the odds of the season not being completed have to be very long.

There should be measures  put in place ( possibly from the SFA)  covering all eventualities  , not just pandemics.  

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Voiding the leagues, with no promotions/relegations would absolutely be worth it for the meltdowns that would follow.

In my very humble opinion it's been most unfair to Hearts fans that they've not actually been able to experience the novelty of a few different away days this season. So voiding certainly has its merits.

10 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Apologies.  The executive should have demanded it. 

You still end up with 'the SPFL is the clubs'.

Their attempt to get some kind of power to call a season due to extreme circumstances was knocked back by the clubs. Any executive demand will also be judged and decide upon by the clubs.