COVID-19 In Scottish Football

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Literally the only takeaway from that is by leaking it to Keith Jackson, Celtic have effectively conceded the league title on the 14th January. In the most important season in their history, according to their own supporters.

Glorious.

Dunno bout Celtic - but I conceded it long before that.

Guest TheJTS98
5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I remember in the covid thread from about 9 months ago a fair few comments along the lines of "this is unforseeable circumstances, you can't blame the spfl for not having detailed rules on how to deal with it" and further comments along the lines of there would now be the opportunity to put clear rules in place should similar occur, and at least everyone would know where they stood beforehand.

The comment was frequently made in jest that knowing the spfl, they'll probably not even manage to get it sorted and we'll end up going through the same drama if the season gets curtailed early again.

How we laughed.

People brushed off the suggestion when I mentioned that this might happen again in 20/21. Even last week people were still brushing it off.

Bizarre, since it was obvious to anybody with access to tv or a newspaper last summer that the 20/21 season finishing is not a gimmie. Yet, outrageously, the season was allowed to begin with no guidelines in place for how to deal with a season curtailed after 10 games, or 10-15 games, or 16-20 games etc.

It's such a staggeringly obvious task left undone that it cannot be put down to incompetence. Clubs have left themselves wriggle room to be able to try and negotiate from any position. Those running our game (the clubs) don't want it run well, they want it run to their advantage. And we may be about to endure another few months of utter chaos as a result.

I see no reason for null and void. Even if it takes until 2022 to complete this season that is what should be done. The 19/20 Scottish cup was played in season 20/21, so how about finishing this season before starting another one? Germany and England did it so why can’t Scotland? Aside from our league(s) being absolute tinpot 

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I see no reason for null and void. Even if it takes until 2022 to complete this season that is what should be done. The 19/20 Scottish cup was played in season 20/21, so how about finishing this season before starting another one? Germany and England did it so why can’t Scotland? Aside from our league(s) being absolute tinpot 

Because our clubs have decided to leave themselves the option of voting for whatever is convenient.

I'd imagine Ross County and Hamilton would rather null and void and get a full season in the Premiership next time round than drag out a season mostly or wholly played behind closed doors, or face the prospect of relegation. A chance to vote yourself out of a relegation battle two years running? Who'd turn that down?

The clubs have deliberately left themselves these negotiating positions and it will all come down to who can secure the appropriate number of votes for their position. Considering what is logical, ethical, or best for the game as a whole is pointless. The clubs won't be deciding on that basis.

Edited by TheJTS98

8 hours ago, bennett said:

We were told last season that null and void was impossible,  now it's being drip fed by hollicoms lapdug...

EXCLUSIVE! Neil Doncaster refuses to rule out null and void as Rangers sit 21 points ahead of Celtic | @tedermeatballs

The SPFL have made it clear that it is the clubs who vote on these decisions . After the self serving clusterfuck of last season , they asked the clubs for the mandate to make a ruling to cover the possibility of such eventualities happening again.  The clubs understandably wanted to be the ones making the decisions and voted to keep the status quo .

The SPFL should then have demanded that the clubs formulated a hard and fast plan of action before a ball was kicked this season  to avoid the whataboutery , deception , double dealing  and back stabbing  shambles that we witnessed last season. 

Basically the season should not have started until a contingency plan was in place . 

Doncaster can't rule anything out because it's not in his gift.

They (SPFL exec and all the clubs) are forgiven from me from last Summer's fiasco, but it really is the depths of embarrassment if they end up there again this season.

FWIW, I don't think we will.

It seems like only yesterday that I was basking in the Incredulity Affair, but with every passing day a rerun looks just that wee tad more probable.

Imagine, if you will, no title for Rangers and no promotion for Hearts.  As unlikely as it this outcome is, sporting integrity and fairness must prevail for the good of Scottish football and I'm sure those who voiced opinions of this nature last year will be quick to voice them again this time around, won't they?

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

FWIW, I don't think we will.

Agree. We're half-way through January and the virus is doing its absolute worst (at least I hope this is its worst), yet the football is mostly continuing. Meanwhile, the vaccine is being rolled out (actually pretty well so far, tbf). If we get the end of Jan without major call-offs or postponements, then I think the season will 100% end. 

Even if a break of a few weeks is required, it'll still be fine. 

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agree. We're half-way through January and the virus is doing its absolute worst (at least I hope this is its worst), yet the football is mostly continuing. Meanwhile, the vaccine is being rolled out (actually pretty well so far, tbf). If we get the end of Jan without major call-offs or postponements, then I think the season will 100% end. 

Even if a break of a few weeks is required, it'll still be fine. 

Sorry but the football is certainly not "mostly continuing" . 

Guest TheJTS98
25 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

It seems like only yesterday that I was basking in the Incredulity Affair, but with every passing day a rerun looks just that wee tad more probable.

Imagine, if you will, no title for Rangers and no promotion for Hearts.  As unlikely as it this outcome is, sporting integrity and fairness must prevail for the good of Scottish football and I'm sure those who voiced opinions of this nature last year will be quick to voice them again this time around, won't they?

Were fitba to stop today, off the top of my head, Rangers, Celtic, Ross County, Hearts, and online supporters of Hibs would all be arguing opposite views from last season.

Others as well, no doubt.

11 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry but the football is certainly not "mostly continuing" . 

I was mainly just referring to the four 'senior' leagues which, quite literally, are 'mostly continuing' (22 vs 20 clubs continuing to play). It's also ploughing on across England, too. I appreciate the cup is postponed for now.

4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Were fitba to stop today, off the top of my head, Rangers, Celtic, Ross County, Hearts, and online supporters of Hibs would all be arguing opposite views from last season.

Last season should serve as a lesson in how unprofessional Scottish football really  is. 

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

You're assuming everyone is driven by blind partisanship. It's what they do on Sportsound and is quite insulting to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was mainly just referring to the four 'senior' leagues which, quite literally, are 'mostly continuing' (22 vs 20 clubs continuing to play). It's also ploughing on across England, too. I appreciate the cup is postponed for now.

Are there not 6 senior leagues ?  Not sure if the ones below are classed as senior as well. 

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're assuming everyone is driven by blind partisanship. It's what they do on Sportsound and is quite insulting to be honest.

Generalising, more than assuming. Many people are and I get the feeling the general tone of conversation would be no better than last time.

Roy MacGregor would be the first interview I'd like to hear if the fitba was stopped today. Curious to hear whether he'd take the same view as last time.

For what it's worth, my view hasn't changed in the slightest because the view I gave last season was my genuine view on what should have been done.

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Generalising, more than assuming. Many people are and I get the feeling the general tone of conversation would be no better than last time.

Roy MacGregor would be the first interview I'd like to hear if the fitba was stopped today. Curious to hear whether he'd take the same view as last time.

For what it's worth, my view hasn't changed in the slightest because the view I gave last season was my genuine view on what should have been done.

Regardless of views, they have to follow the precedent set if it comes to pass. They don't have any real option.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

celtic aren't winning.

It's all so predictable and we all know how this will play out.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Regardless of views, they have to follow the precedent set if it comes to pass. They don't have any real option.

Well, you'd like to think so. I'm not so sure, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of games played suddenly becoming a factor. I don't see any evidence that any club is going to accept anything that it thinks it can get away with.

This, of course, is why the clubs didn't set out a strategy for dealing with a curtailed season. Nobody wants to be bottom after 20 games having signed up to a document that says you go down if you're bottom after 20 games but stay up after 19 games. The clubs all want room to wriggle out of stuff.

There's nothing to suggest Bun Fight 2 would be any cleaner than the first time.

9 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Did the SPFL Board not put a motion to clubs after the pain of closing last season, that would give them the power to call a season if Covid (or other extreme scenarios) demanded it?  and the clubs knocked it back? It would be yet another club vote.

Why didn't they ask the clubs to vote on the outcomes in a cancelled season then? If you ask clubs in August for a vote then you get their honest answer, ask them in January and they vote on their current league position.

A precedent was set last season and whether it was correct or not it could then be used from now on. Scenarios like anything above 70% of league games played then it is a PPG outcome. Under 70% then void it. They could have sat in a room and decided what they thought was acceptable.

If it does get cancelled it not only shows the utter incompetence of the governing bodies but also of the contempt to the fans who have payed for virtual season tickets to find themselves in the lottery of musical chairs again.