COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Just when you thought they could get more tone deaf. 

“We’re entitled to a pint together because we work hard all day”.

Yup, that’ll really go down well in a country where all the pubs are closed. 

Aye, it really is hilariously out of touch. My girlfriend works for Celtic, she's been on furlough since last June. Stuck in her tiny flat, desperately trying to stave off depression for 6 months and having no human contact for that time other than me and a chat every now and then with her mum. She was over the moon when she heard the first team were being sent out on all expenses paid piss up to Dubai. "They deserve it, they work hard all day" she said...

3 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Nice of the league to consult St Johnstone about a possible reschedule of the semi.

I hope Saints say something about this and say it soon.

Otherwise lets say at the start of next week Hibs have a few injures, why not just call it covid and get 10 days off then bring the players back for the date when ever they are ready to play.

33 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I hope Saints say something about this and say it soon.

Otherwise lets say at the start of next week Hibs have a few injures, why not just call it covid and get 10 days off then bring the players back for the date when ever they are ready to play.

It's mental that folk still think you can just "call it covid" to get a match moved without having to provide any sort of supporting evidence.

Joking aside surely Celtic employ some PR people? At the moment, as soon as anyone at the club opens their mouth, it just becomes another disaster. Each time I see a statement; I think it cant get any worse and yet there pops up another to prove me wrong.

59 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It's mental that folk still think you can just "call it covid" to get a match moved without having to provide any sort of supporting evidence.

Or indeed the impact on others of the track and trace that would kick in. People need to think their conspiracy theories out better.

On a separate note I see Grimsby Town have been hit with a suspended fine (why suspended!) for a trail of Covid breaches including group games of darts as part of team training.  It really is remarkable.

Edited by rainbowrising

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Joking aside surely Celtic employ some PR people? At the moment, as soon as anyone at the club opens their mouth, it just becomes another disaster. Each time I see a statement; I think it cant get any worse and yet there pops up another to prove me wrong.

I'm not a PR person - but I've seen enough to know that  "make an apology and then say absolutely f**k-all until the media are interested in something else" is pretty effective - Celtic have miscalculated badly and treated this like they would a standard "fitba" thing where they just brazen it out and hope all their supporters fall in behind them - which really isn't happening.

Edited by Swello

42 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Or indeed the impact on others of the track and trace that would kick in. People need to think their conspiracy theories out better.

On a separate note I see Grimsby Town have been hit with a suspended fine (why suspended!) for a trail of Covid breaches including group games of darts as part of team training.  It really is remarkable.

Were sun beds involved?

Can't find a non-Sun link, but Broony's poured gasoline on the fire by defending the "sunbed" photo.
ETA: https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19004156.celtic-skipper-scott-brown-hits-back-criticism-dubai-poolside-picture-neil-lennon/

A week of hard work and preparation for the remainder of the season becomes a bit of a waste, when half the first team squad have to go into isolation missing the next 2 league games. It’s hardly a means of competitive advantage on the park eh!
Surely this was considered a possibility by the Club’s management? Maybe this season just isn’t as important to them as we’ve been led to believe?

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Grimsby Town given a suspended 5k fine for admitting Covid breaches that lead to 3 postponed games.

Nah the SPFL weren't heavy handed with a 40k fine and two 3v0 forfeits for one less postponed game at all emoji2955.png

Obviously the amounts are vastly different, but weren’t the fines handed out to Killie and St Mirren suspended fines? Meaning you won’t actually have to pay anything unless you breach any further covid protocols within a defined period?

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Obviously the amounts are vastly different, but weren’t the fines handed out to Killie and St Mirren suspended fines? Meaning you won’t actually have to pay anything unless you breach any further covid protocols within a defined period?

Yes but I think we would rather take the fine than 'lose' two winnable games 3-0

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

That's what I can't get, celtic have always excelled at PR, it's almost as if they've hired Jim Traynor. 

As is Grimsby without the forfeits. Highlights the huge disparity.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Celtic have miscalculated badly and treated this like they would a standard "fitba" thing where they just brazen it out and hope all their supporters fall in behind them - which really isn't happening.

You're dead right, but the depressing reality is that such an approach would work a treat if Celtic had a decent lead in the League.

On here, nearly all the Celtic fans have been making sensible noises.  I honestly don't think that would be the case if they weren't struggling on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're dead right, but the depressing reality is that such an approach would work a treat if Celtic had a decent lead in the League.

On here, nearly all the Celtic fans have been making sensible noises.  I honestly don't think that would be the case if they weren't struggling on the pitch.

I think on the whole that’s fair to say. It’s also the first time I can think of, that other than lunatic loyal fans, current players and their PR (?) machine, I’ve not seen a single fan, pundit or ex player trying to make excuses for them. In fact a number of ex players have been vociferous on their criticism. That says it all. Maxwell did try to “justify” it to an extent , but walked it back quickly. 

Edited by Rugster

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Or even just if they'd won the Old Firm. The only thing that brought any real attention to this was Crocker saying "well, it's off to Dubai for Celtic" when they were losing against Rangers in front of the cameras. Once that happened, the knives came out for this Dubai trip. Before that, very few if any Celtic fans cared all that much.