COVID-19 In Scottish Football

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you really want to kill off lower league football then regionalisation is the way to go, given that fans have repeatedly said they don't want it and would not support it.

Berwick won't be travelling to Peterhead any time soon incidentally.

Cove could be end up travelling to QOS next season though. Someone's always got to be pedantic though 🙄. There's plenty examples.

They also don't want their clubs to go bust but it's a stark reality so what do we do. Reduce costs and travelling seems the most obvious and a better option than reducing the playing budget as that reduces the product quality or just continue to the abyss?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

I know you are all dying for some Celtic content so here are the Bhoys training hard in the sun.

No need to thank me.

Perhaps if they did a bit more of that and a bit less drinking by the pool they wouldn't be papped oot the Skol Cup and be 19 points behind the currants at Christmas.

Cove could be end up travelling to QOS next season though. Someone's always got to be pedantic though [emoji849]. There's plenty examples.
They also don't want their clubs to go bust but it's a stark reality so what do we do. Reduce costs and travelling seems the most obvious and a better option than reducing the playing budget as that reduces the product quality or just continue to the abyss?
How much extra does taking a squad from Aberdeen to Dumfries twice in a season cost compared to taking them from Aberdeen to Stirling, which might be where the "northern region" would be?

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yeah, they could also ask the following though:

"Did you follow the JRG's rules and stay out of common areas such as the hotel bar, lounge and lobby?"

"Did you follow social distancing / mask rules at all times?"

There is close to zero chance that the various SFA teams who have travelled abroad have stuck to the JRG hotel rules. In fact we know it's zero because of the Conga video.

That's why Celtic won't be punished unless they miss a match.

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
Cove could be end up travelling to QOS next season though. Someone's always got to be pedantic though emoji849.png. There's plenty examples.

How much extra does taking a squad from Aberdeen to Dumfries twice in a season cost compared to taking them from Aberdeen to Stirling, which might be where the "northern region" would be?

Based on the original post I made, more than double.  While it only a very rough suggestion it was home and away once each and some form of play off system to add excitement. 

Original discussion was also about the lunacy of the prospect of having those kind of games midweek in Scotland involving part time sides, Especially post covid period and I was questioning his stance of "they're fucked but don't do anything as fans don't want it". 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Cove could be end up travelling to QOS next season though. Someone's always got to be pedantic though 🙄. There's plenty examples.

Actually your example is the pedantic one since most teams will be fairly close to each other, with a few exceptions.

Travelling a bit further for a few games a season isn't putting any clubs at risk.

Moving to an incredibly unpopular and unwanted regional system would though. Fans have indicated, repeatedly, over many years, that they don't want it.

14 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Based on the original post I made, more than double.  While it only a very rough suggestion it was home and away once each and some form of play off system to add excitement. 

Original discussion was also about the lunacy of the prospect of having those kind of games midweek in Scotland involving part time sides, Especially post covid period and I was questioning his stance of "they're fucked but don't do anything as fans don't want it". 

It's not really lunacy. It's been happening for years and clubs are fine with it. There isn't really an issue here.

19 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Another team jets off to the sun during a global pandemic.

Hope they get the book thrown at them.

Not at all. Safest place for anyone to go right now.

Broughty Ferry International Airport has a strict regime in place where everyone coming in or going out has to drink from the puddle at the bottom of the Gray Street underpass. It's proven to kill all known viruses, and several unknown ones as well.

17 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The way I see it there are two ways you could regionalise.

Either you use the current Tay boundary line, which firstly leads to teams like Brora becoming tier 3 overnight to fill in spots because there aren't actually all that many North teams in the lower divisions and secondly at best leads to the same amount of travel for clubs close to the boundary line like Brechin or Montrose who just replace trips to the central belt with trips to the Inverness area. I'd be interested to know how much Cove Rangers' travel actually decreased when they moved from the Highland League to League 2. I suspect not all that much.

Alternatively you split the current 20 tier 3/4 teams into north and south which leaves sides like Stirling, East Fife etc. probably  in danger of ending up in the North section. Which would definitely increase their travel since suddenly every away trip would be a trek up north. In turn this would probably impact their ability to attract players from the central belt since they would suddenly be faced with that trip every fortnight rather than a handful of times per season. The same issue for Brechin/Montrose etc. in the first option.

Either way you're not really necessarily actually making the travel situation all that better for many clubs whilst potentially shutting off a source of players to the clubs who end up in the North section. Scotland's geography and central belt heavy distribution of clubs really doesn't lend itself all that well to regionalisation in my opinion. Some of the distances travelled in the regional Highland League won't be all that far off what teams in the national leagues travel over a season.

1 hour ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

The way I see it there are two ways you could regionalise.

Either you use the current Tay boundary line, which firstly leads to teams like Brora becoming tier 3 overnight to fill in spots because there aren't actually all that many North teams in the lower divisions and secondly at best leads to the same amount of travel for clubs close to the boundary line like Brechin or Montrose who just replace trips to the central belt with trips to the Inverness area. I'd be interested to know how much Cove Rangers' travel actually decreased when they moved from the Highland League to League 2. I suspect not all that much.

Alternatively you split the current 20 tier 3/4 teams into north and south which leaves sides like Stirling, East Fife etc. probably  in danger of ending up in the North section. Which would definitely increase their travel since suddenly every away trip would be a trek up north. In turn this would probably impact their ability to attract players from the central belt since they would suddenly be faced with that trip every fortnight rather than a handful of times per season. The same issue for Brechin/Montrose etc. in the first option.

Either way you're not really necessarily actually making the travel situation all that better for many clubs whilst potentially shutting off a source of players to the clubs who end up in the North section. Scotland's geography and central belt heavy distribution of clubs really doesn't lend itself all that well to regionalisation in my opinion. Some of the distances travelled in the regional Highland League won't be all that far off what teams in the national leagues travel over a season.

Or let's not organise everything around Tuechters.

Ayrshire has a greater population and more fitba teams than the whole of the Highlands but if anyone suggested splitting Scotland into the south west and the rest they would rightly be laughed at.  Giving the Tuetcher league equal billing to the Lowland League as level five is insane.

Edited by Detournement

46 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Sky discussing how one of the options for the Woman's FA cup in England having ties potentially decided by a coin toss 😬

While I don't believe it'll happen at least we've not got to that level of shambles quite yet!

I'd happily take that for our game on Saturday

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Or let's not organise everything around Tuechters.

Ayrshire has a greater population and more fitba teams than the whole of the Highlands but if anyone suggested splitting Scotland into the south west and the rest they would rightly be laughed at.  Giving the Tuetcher league equal billing to the Lowland League as level five is insane.

Well that's kind of the point that I'm making.

There's no real way to regionalise the Scottish leagues which both works geographically to noticeably cut travel for a large number of teams and also works in terms of not overpromoting teams who happen to be from geographically remote areas.

Whatever you do you will either end up balancing out strength of teams which ends up with central belt teams in a northern region making trips to places like Peterhead and Elgin or you' balance things by distance travelled and hence end up with a very small northern region which has to promote teams like Brora in order to be filled.

20 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Well that's kind of the point that I'm making.

There's no real way to regionalise the Scottish leagues which both works geographically to noticeably cut travel for a large number of teams and also works in terms of not overpromoting teams who happen to be from geographically remote areas.

Whatever you do you will either end up balancing out strength of teams which ends up with central belt teams in a northern region making trips to places like Peterhead and Elgin or you' balance things by distance travelled and hence end up with a very small northern region which has to promote teams like Brora in order to be filled.

It could be done on the basis of a three-way split, tho: West and South, East and South, and North. Winners of each league would play-off for entry to SPFL, meaning the question of relative weakness isn't a problem: if the North section is consistently weaker, they'll consistently lose out to one of the other champions.