COVID-19 In Scottish Football

15 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I expect Dave Cormack to ask for fans to be allowed into Aberdeen next game soon.

Just yesterday Hamilton's chief executive among others was bleating about the costs of PCR tests and trying to push the government into letting them use the tinpot rapid response tests instead. The tin ear that Scottish football executives have for the wider zeitgeist from start to finish of this pandemic has been breathtaking. 

If there were any natural justice then the SPFL and all its clubs would be going under, instead of the industries that will not survive the pandemic, having not had the opportunity to relentlessly take with one hand from the taxpayer while bleating about the injustice of it all.

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

A change in the government's view of whether it should continue or not. Like anything else.

And playing in a league with part-time teams makes that risk higher than playing in a league with only full-time teams. I don't think anyone seriously questions that.

I can't see why the government would change their view on that now though, especially since they've said this is the most concerning time of the pandemic since March but have also said football can continue. There would need to be some sort of change and I can't see what that would be.

It's really difficult to see the Premiership stopping now. If they're concerned the first port of call would presumably be to increase the number of PCR tests undertaken each week.

Leagues with part time sides might be a different story.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I can't see why the government would change their view on that now though, especially since they've said this is the most concerning time of the pandemic since March but have also said football can continue. There would need to be some sort of change and I can't see what that would be.

They change things all the time. I don't see why you're presenting this as some out-there wild suggestion.

It's perfectly feasible that lower league football makes it onto the list of things we don't need to have happening.

Not to mention the obvious risk of games being called off aside from governmental intervention. I've got a friend who is a (non-Championship) part-time player who already had to miss a couple of games self-isolating because he's a primary teacher and had been in class with kids who tested positive.

There are plenty of ways the Championship season doesn't finish to the satisfaction of teams looking to avoid relegation.

Football can continue for now.
Neither you nor I know how long that will last. And we all know the Premiership sides will seize on any opportunity to cancel relegation.
It's certainly not an unimaginable situation. It never was.
I've never claimed this is an inevitability. But it's certainly a possibility. Certainly easy to imagine a scenario where part-time teams become an issue.

The Premiership sides didn't "seize on any opportunity to cancel relegation" last season as far as I remember?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Who said football can continue? I'd imagine there are meetings going on now to finalise what is a secondary issue, however annoying.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The Premiership sides didn't "seize on any opportunity to cancel relegation" last season as far as I remember?

Ha! Indeed not.

I get the impression there may be a different group-think mentality as the end of this season approaches if it's looking like the second-tier season does not meet their requirements (which handily have not been specified).

I understand why. It's fair enough that clubs act in their own interest.

Guest TheJTS98

Still think that after last summer's court cases, missing votes followed by arranged friendly matches and changed votes, colt-team horse-trading, and general fucking about, we've started this season without some kind of plan that says:

If the season halts between games 1-18, we do this. If it halts from 18-25, we do this. Etc etc.

With the virus still clearly doing the rounds and without the kind of TV deal that guarantees we'll finish things eventually, that just seems remarkable to me after last summer.

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Ha! Indeed not.

I get the impression there may be a different group-think mentality as the end of this season approaches if it's looking like the second-tier season does not meet their requirements (which handily have not been specified).

I understand why. It's fair enough that clubs act in their own interest.

It'll be hilarious if the season is called off with the league tables roughly as-is, and you have the spectacle of Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all solemnly arguing for the exact diametric opposite conclusion to the season than they were arguing for last year.  I'd want to see a lengthy rebuttal of Ann Budge's arguments in 2021 rebutted by cutting and pasting Ann Budge's 2020 arguments.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

It'll be hilarious if the season is called off with the league tables roughly as-is, and you have the spectacle of Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all solemnly arguing for the exact diametric opposite conclusion to the season than they were arguing for last year.  I'd want to see a lengthy rebuttal of Ann Budge's arguments in 2021 rebutted by cutting and pasting Ann Budge's 2020 arguments.

I agree. It'll be hilarious.

Let's not forget we'll have Roy MacGregor in the media insisting Ross County 'take their medicine'. Won't we?

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I'm in support of calling the season now and letting the pride of the Lothians battle it out in the Conference League next season.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

The Scottish Government are now saying they expect the SFA to look into Celtic’s trip further:

It is an absolute farce that they have jetted off to the Middle East but surely Celtic would have made 100% sure that this trip was completely within the rules? 

It will be hilarious if not. 

5 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

It is an absolute farce that they have jetted off to the Middle East but surely Celtic would have made 100% sure that this trip was completely within the rules? 

That was my original thoughts, but going by those comments it seems to suggest the exemption is only to facilitate international and European competition, so who knows.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

The Scottish Government are now saying they expect the SFA to look into Celtic’s trip further:

6 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The football authorities appear to have sanctioned the trip, in their folly. They are as culpable as Celtic, possibly more so, as they are the ruling body.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

If they remove the privilege it would only affect clubs if they were still in Europe.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The football authorities appear to have sanctioned the trip, in their folly. They are as culpable as Celtic, possibly more so, as they are the ruling body.

There should be a few statements to come out of it, if nothing else.

Probably not at summer levels though.

435786888_20200820_223610(1).png.3e51e8748c6328d0ccb0288ecc67f95e.png

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

Still think that after last summer's court cases, missing votes followed by arranged friendly matches and changed votes, colt-team horse-trading, and general fucking about, we've started this season without some kind of plan that says:

If the season halts between games 1-18, we do this. If it halts from 18-25, we do this. Etc etc.

With the virus still clearly doing the rounds and without the kind of TV deal that guarantees we'll finish things eventually, that just seems remarkable to me after last summer.

Arranged friendlies? What's this?