COVID-19 In Scottish Football

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Rejected because the Scottish govt are being cautious. The rugby test event was always planned and the preferred situation for a trial run.

Finish one test before starting a second.

I heard Celtic were disappointed it didn't happen but understood the reasoning and not kicking up a fuss because they weren't 100% convinced their test would complete with no issues. For example fans without tickets coming to Celtic park was an issue, especially with the lack of clarity on this ballot and future games.

The last thing Celtic wanted was to create more issues for football. Their opinion was to let rugby take some heat if things go wrong.

Yep, again I can have no arguments if they were the reasons for the refusal, but I believe a decision like this that is going to antagonise a large proportion of the population needs to be communicated clearly and they need to tell us why they arrived at that decision rather than let us guess.

They may do so in due course, which is fine.

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yep, again I can have no arguments if they were the reasons for the refusal, but I believe a decision like this that is going to antagonise a large proportion of the population needs to be communicated clearly and they need to tell us why they arrived at that decision rather than let us guess.

How will it antagonise a large proportion of the population? I certainly don't care. I'd like to see fans back at football at some stage, but the Murrayfield test event is fine for that. We don't need another.

Even if I were a Celtic fan wouldn't feel antagonised. I'd have been unlikely to get a ticket in any case,  I wouldn't be that keen to attend, and there's a risk to the club's reputation of it going badly wrong.

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

They may do so in due course, which is fine.

I do agree with this, there’s already enough roasters going round with statements like “Queen Nicola hates football fans!!11!1!” convinced football is being discriminated against.

Logically, Edinburgh don’t have more than 3/4000 season ticket holders and are selecting the 700 season ticket holders who nearest Murrayfield. I’m trying to imagine the clusterfuck Celtic trying to select the 700 fans living nearest Parkhead would result in (cue they all live in Lochee anyway type comments). 

If successful, I’d imagine there will be a football trial in the coming weeks.

6 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

How will it antagonise a large proportion of the population? I certainly don't care. I'd like to see fans back at football at some stage, but the Murrayfield test event is fine for that. We don't need another.

Even if I were a Celtic fan wouldn't feel antagonised. I'd have been unlikely to get a ticket in any case,  I wouldn't be that keen to attend, and there's a risk to the club's reputation of it going badly wrong.

Exactly, why should Celtic or football fans feel aggrieved at this. They have to choose something for a test event. They have chosen rugby, a lot of it will be for logistical reasons. No way could football have been selected and absolutely no way could one of the old firm because of fans who would think they were being treated unfairly and it is a conspiracy against their club for the one who wasn't chosen. England had test events at cricket and snooker I believe, had it been golf and tennis nobody would have cared, only in the world of Scottish football is this an offensive issue.

39 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

A quick glance through twitter and you'll see what I mean.

Many fans (including non-Celtic fans) are voicing their anger and frustration at the decision as they perceive it to be 1 rule for Rugby and another rule for Football.

The reasons you've given are completely understandable, but without the reasons being clearly communicated, you're always going to get fans jumping to conclusions or guessing. 

Edited by AJF

28 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Exactly, why should Celtic or football fans feel aggrieved at this. They have to choose something for a test event. They have chosen rugby, a lot of it will be for logistical reasons. No way could football have been selected and absolutely no way could one of the old firm because of fans who would think they were being treated unfairly and it is a conspiracy against their club for the one who wasn't chosen. England had test events at cricket and snooker I believe, had it been golf and tennis nobody would have cared, only in the world of Scottish football is this an offensive issue.

See my reply above. I will repeat again, I'm not saying the explanations you've given are unreasonable, but by simply refusing the proposal and not giving any indication as to why (as of yet) then fans are always going to feel aggrieved.

There has been a long standing view that football fans are treated differently in this country and I feel this just adds fuel to that fire without the government giving the proper context behind their decision.

Football fury over Celtic 'test event' snub as clubs offered no explanation of rugby double standard

Peter Lawwell for one is understood to be raging as plans to introduce fans back to the terraces have stalled

Football chiefs are understood to be have been left infuriated after the Scottish Government refused to explain the decision to keep supporters out of a test event at Celtic Park this weekend - despite already giving rugby fans the go ahead to return to BT Murrayfield.

Record Sport understands the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing Joe FitzPatrick cancelled a scheduled conference call with the game’s Joint Response Group and Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell after booting out the request to reopen the stadium to limited numbers for Sunday’s visit of Motherwell.

And no explanation has been offered from Holyrood to Peter Lawwell for the reason behind the decision to torpedo the plan - even though around 700 spectators will be allowed back into the home of rugby for Friday’s PRO 14 derby between Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh

ADVERTISING

7 minutes ago, bennett said:

Football fury over Celtic 'test event' snub as clubs offered no explanation of rugby double standard

Peter Lawwell for one is understood to be raging as plans to introduce fans back to the terraces have stalled

Football chiefs are understood to be have been left infuriated after the Scottish Government refused to explain the decision to keep supporters out of a test event at Celtic Park this weekend - despite already giving rugby fans the go ahead to return to BT Murrayfield.

Record Sport understands the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing Joe FitzPatrick cancelled a scheduled conference call with the game’s Joint Response Group and Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell after booting out the request to reopen the stadium to limited numbers for Sunday’s visit of Motherwell.

And no explanation has been offered from Holyrood to Peter Lawwell for the reason behind the decision to torpedo the plan - even though around 700 spectators will be allowed back into the home of rugby for Friday’s PRO 14 derby between Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh

ADVERTISING

Not buying the record. Spfl meeting with Scottish Gov that Lawwell was present us there was no explanation? Not buying that. 

They didn't just go "no because we say so"

15 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

There is your problem, any post, newspaper article, online scoop that starts with that sentence can be disregarded 

Why’s that? Of course you get your share of bams on twitter, but it is still fairly accurate to gauge fan reaction to a particular issue.

Just because you may not feel aggrieved by the decision, there are plenty of others who are and an explanation of why the decision was made would’ve worked wonders to appease them a little.

Guest 8GamesToGo
1 hour ago, bennett said:

ADVERTISING

Oh it's all so UNFAIR. BOOHOOOOO. How could they refuse to explain decisions like this and punish one team for no reason. How COULD they. 

Guest 8GamesToGo

All that effort Celtic, and their pals, put in to end the league early, lobbying for fixtures to come out, start the league the same time as every other year so they'd be match fit for Europe... all just to progress their CL ambitions.

That went well then.

All that effort Celtic, and their pals, put in to end the league early, lobbying for fixtures to come out, start the league the same time as every other year so they'd be match fit for Europe... all just to progress their CL ambitions.
That went well then.

Almost as hilarious as what happened to your shambolic club. I can’t stand the OF but they’ve both got a few games in hand on the scale of losses Hearts racked up from March to July.