COVID-19 In Scottish Football

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Having read the statement from the Joint Response Group on the SPFL website, the government asked for the three games to be postponed. I can understand their reasoning on the Aberdeen v Hamilton match, the JRG say it’s postponed because of the ongoing lockdown in Aberdeen city, but I’m struggling to get my head around the two Celtic postponements. If it’s a health issue, then why are Kilmarnock being allowed to play? If the excuse is that Kilmarnock players are regularly tested, then so are Celtic players. If it’s as a punishment, what is the punishment because the games will be played anyway in the future. There’s no crowds so there’s no monetary punishment. I don’t get it. And given that it’s only 7 days away, why has the Champions League qualifier not been cancelled?

Lawell will be raging that he cant arrange a bonus friendly, err friendly,in the timeframe. 

11 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Sturgeon obviously doesn't watch much, if any, football in Scotland. If it's on a yellow card now, Scott Brown will be able to break protocol about a dozen more times before we see the red come out

Don't be silly, Scott Brown only gets booked when it is far too late to make a difference.

I think it's pretty obvious some players don't give a feck, the fact they're getting tested twice a week makes them safer to do what they want.
There has been talk of punishment for individual players maybe fines or community service.
Listening to Doc Leitch the only worry seems to be the players for me if a player is not happy at a club he can always work his ticket without the restriction we have just now.
The last week has shown fans just how easy it is to shut down the season,starting to regret paying for my season ticket and doubting the season will finish.
Clubs can't control their players 24/7 and they shouldn't have too.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think it's pretty obvious some players don't give a feck, the fact they're getting tested twice a week makes them safer to do what they want.
There has been talk of punishment for individual players maybe fines or community service.
Listening to Doc Leitch the only worry seems to be the players for me if a player is not happy at a club he can always work his ticket without the restriction we have just now.
The last week has shown fans just how easy it is to shut down the season,starting to regret paying for my season ticket and doubting the season will finish.

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

10 hours ago, jaybeee said:

Feck off with your constant crap. 

Is that specific enough?

That'll be zero then. Yet at the same time as people are hosting house parties with literally dozens of households mingling with each other, Jason 'gobshite' Leitch is wanting Scottish professional football suspended if one person so ever deigns as to breach his beloved 'rules' between now and the end of the season. It's complete and utter horseshit. 

That'll be zero then. Yet at the same time as people are hosting house parties with literally dozens of households mingling with each other, Jason 'gobshite' Leitch is wanting Scottish professional football suspended if one person so ever deigns as to breach his beloved 'rules' between now and the end of the season. It's complete and utter horseshit. 

Presumably you reported these parties to the police.

50 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was under the impression that Jason Leitch did not recommend the cancellations, but suggested the games could take place without the offending players, and that it was purely a political decision. The cynics amongst us may have wondered if wee Nicola's outrage was merely a deflection so that instead of us Scots reading of the chaos of school leaving grades we had football on the front page. 

Perhaps she should be quietly thanking the idiot players who gave her the chance  instead of castigating them.

Edited by AlbionMan

58 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

They are grown men.  Referees have signed up to exactly the same terms.  I guarantee that it would be a career-ender if any of them failed to respect the system.

The games appear to have been cancelled as a punishment. Looks likely that Celtic will be signing at least one player who probably would not have played a part in those games had they gone ahead now, but more than likely will be available when they are rescheduled. Not exactly much of a punishment.

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The idea that they are trying to use the football to deflect from the exam results is utterly fucking mental.

It’s undoubtedly to take a wee bit of the limelight off of the exam results.

The decision to cancel games is political - a warning shot to everyone as to how serious the situation is. As Nicola has said she doesn't want to cancel the League but players must stick to the rules agreed by the Clubs, the SPFL and the SFA. Cancelling the League will see thousands out of jobs and clubs going to the wall. Numpty footballers have to start acting like adults instead a spoilt weans.

3 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

I was under the impression that Jason Leitch did not recommend the cancellations, but suggested the games could take place without the offending players, and that it was purely a political decision. The cynics amongst us may have wondered if wee Nicola's outrage was merely a deflection so that instead of us Scots reading of the chaos of school leaving grades we had football on the front page. 

Perhaps she should be quietly thanking the idiot players who gave her the chance  instead of castigating them.

Leitch was the one braying about how these footballers have been given a unique privilege by the government to play matches though, as if they were doing it for fun and not as employees working in a commercially important sector of the economy. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

The idea that they are trying to use the football to deflect from the exam results is utterly fucking mental.

Well the fact that about 75% of the government press conference was devoted to footballers breaking the rules!!!111!!! on the very same day that they made a ridiculous U-turn on the exam results was either i) cleverly planned political cover or ii) ridiculously fortunate. Given that they displayed zero political gumption in actually handling the exam story itself, I'm willing to believe that they at least wanted to crank up the moral outrage over another story instead. The old 'good day to bury bad news' political adage was made in reference to 9/11 FFS, never mind these comparatively minor controversies. 

Guest DAVIDB69

We have such a bad governing body in Scottish football that football was only coming back with heavy government involvement .

Down south the nation government has allowed the fa to police the premier league themselves.

The let’s start on a clean slate with a new sky contract is heavily backfiring now

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The decision to cancel games is political - a warning shot to everyone as to how serious the situation is. As Nicola has said she doesn't want to cancel the League but players must stick to the rules agreed by the Clubs, the SPFL and the SFA. Cancelling the League will see thousands out of jobs and clubs going to the wall. Numpty footballers have to start acting like adults instead a spoilt weans.

Why should the leagues be cancelled if there are no credible public health grounds to do so? Because the First Minister wants to act like some big scheme maw taking the football in at the end of the day? Good luck following up on that threat seven months before a Holyrood election, having literally just folded their entire education hand under a single week's pressure from the tabloid press/greeting-faced 17 year olds. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why should the leagues be cancelled if there are no credible public health grounds to do so? Because the First Minister wants to act like some big scheme maw taking the football in at the end of the day? Good luck following up on that threat seven months before a Holyrood election, having literally just folded their entire education hand under a single week's pressure from the tabloid press/greeting-faced 17 year olds. 

Because football has been given permission to play under quite reasonable conditions.  That these basic conditions cannot be upheld is of no comment on the Scottish Government.

Healthcare systems and public compliance are immediately undermined where a leadership vacuum exists when a challenge is made to the social agreement.  Just look at exactly what happened following the shambolic Cummings affair - backed up by surveys of public sentiment on the issue.

This Government are only doing what any competent authority would do.  The fact that other competent authorities in the UK are sorely lacking (the Scottish football authorities included), does not change the reality.

Also, the SNP are polling at record numbers.  If football gets cancelled, I would imagine most reasonable people will rightly direct their anger and frustration at the grown men failing to uphold the most basic conditions of their employment - something many many people in wider society would jump at the chance to be included within.