COVID-19 In Scottish Football

It’s the Dominic Cummings scenario. There have been strict rules in place across all the leagues in order to get the games back on the go, it’s not just the SPL. 

You can’t have players breaking the rules put in place and just turn a blind eye and pretend it didn’t happen because on this occasion nobody seems to be sick. Seeing football players breaking the set rules and ignoring it damages the public health message in the same way that Cummings going to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight did - rich, privileged people thinking the rules don’t apply to them and getting away with it.

A few postponed games isn’t the harshest punishment and it’s a fair warning that the players just have to fucking behave themselves for a bit longer. It’s not hard for them to do what they are told.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s the Dominic Cummings scenario. There have been strict rules in place across all the leagues in order to get the games back on the go, it’s not just the SPL. 

You can’t have players breaking the rules put in place and just turn a blind eye and pretend it didn’t happen because on this occasion nobody seems to be sick. Seeing football players breaking the set rules and ignoring it damages the public health message in the same way that Cummings going to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight did - rich, privileged people thinking the rules don’t apply to them and getting away with it.

A few postponed games isn’t the harshest punishment and it’s a fair warning that the players just have to fucking behave themselves for a bit longer. It’s not hard for them to do what they are told.

Apparently it is.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

No one was asking Dominic Cummings to self isolate again until he learned his lesson.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, they've released statements about both, condemning the players involved and reminding other players of their responsibilities. I'd definitely like to see the players fined and banned, but that'll depend whether it's allowed within the rules.

Not good enough - the First Minister's being asked questions about what she's going to do about it, and the actual football authorities have put out a couple of statements, thinking that's going to cover it?

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
8 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
There’s no doubt the players broke the rules but maybe it’s time we took a look at the policy.
Its completely nonsensical.
Here in Scotland there have been no deaths for a few weeks and for anyone up to around 60 who’s in reasonable shape, you’ve as much chance of dying from COVID as being struck by lightning.
As this goes on, extra deaths from people not getting proper NHS treatment are piling up, cancers not being diagnosed, heart disease being ignored, you name it.
We also see unemployment ratcheting up, poverty increasing, education being lost, the population being muzzled,the whole fabric of society being destroyed for what????
Im probably in a minority of one but I fail to see the logic in this.
Sturgeon keeps banging on about eliminating the virus but the best that can be hoped for is containment and learning to live with it.
This current policy is madness and will do nothing other can condemn thousands to the scrap heap, destroy our liberties through needless muzzling , ruin society and increase illness and disease of the non COVID variety.

You do understand healthy people under 60 could spread the virus to vulnerable people under 60 or people over 60 who have a very good chance of dying?

He doesn’t care about the vulnerable. 

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No one was asking Dominic Cummings to self isolate again until he learned his lesson.

Well that was kind of the problem - he got completely away with it because he is somehow outside the rules the rest of us were following. 

Everyone else coming back from Spain is having to self-isolate and you do if you have been in contact with someone who may have it. I would if it was found someone had it at a cafe I had been to - so it’s the natural requirement for teams where people have gotten it or been in areas of higher risk.

Why should they not have to follow the same rules as everyone else? 

This is not America where the virus is running wild, it is more or less under control here and there is no need to go to any such extremes. We could just follow the approach of every other non-basket case country who are actually trying to stop coronavirus, which is basically to do exactly what we're doing.

I dont think it is under control in Scotland - it was but I cant see this continuing.  The lockdown has just delayed the inevitable and with people socializing and traveling it will be much like the US and other countries unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Here is the science.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/here-s-how-long-it-takes-to-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-exposure/ar-BB14SvmO

coronavirus can be asymptomatic, but in people who have the virus it may take up to 5 days to be detectable via test without symptoms. With a negative test you can be sure you didn't have Corona 5 days ago. So it is almost certain that when Bolangoli passed his coronavirus test for the killie game on Sunday he had not contracted the virus on his jaunt to Spain from Tuesday.

Obviously community transmission is still an issue but that is why clubs are performing continuous testing and social distancing measure when training/travelling/playing.

Postponing games is unscientific bullshit.

Try reading what I said without getting all het up. This isn’t about preventing transmission around Celtic or Aberdeen. It’s about warning Scottish football to comply with the agreed protocols. We’ve had all sorts of issues before the league restarted  with games delayed and abandoned because of failures in the processes. We’ve now had 2 instances where players have failed to follow the protocols. This is a warning to show that action will be taken, not because they’ve transmitted the virus, but because they broke protocols designed to prevent transmission. The protocols are designed to protect Public Health, therefore breaking them is a risk to Public Health and they want them taken seriously. 

By the way, the social distancing agreed for footballers isn’t for them training or playing, the protocols are to allow them not to social distance in training/playing but they do restrict them outside that more than the rest of the population.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Well that was kind of the problem - he got completely away with it because he is somehow outside the rules the rest of us were following. 

Everyone else coming back from Spain is having to self-isolate and you do if you have been in contact with someone who may have it. I would if it was found someone had it at a cafe I had been to - so it’s the natural requirement for teams where people have gotten it or been in areas of higher risk.

Why should they not have to follow the same rules as everyone else? 

Dominic Cummings not going back into self isolation after being free of coronavirus was not the problem. Have a word with yourself.

1 minute ago, Saint Huck said:

I dont think it is under control in Scotland - it was but I cant see this continuing.  The lockdown has just delayed the inevitable and with people socializing and traveling it will be much like the US and other countries unfortunately. 

No it won't 

Yes, they've released statements about both, condemning the players involved and reminding other players of their responsibilities. I'd definitely like to see the players fined and banned, but that'll depend whether it's allowed within the rules.

To be honest I doubt they'll need to worry about the fines, pretty sure both clubs have already done that themselves and the way Lennon spoke and Celtic's statement I'd be surprised if Bolingoli ever plays for them again.

Just now, Staggie52 said:

Try reading what I said without getting all het up. This isn’t about preventing transmission around Celtic or Aberdeen. It’s about warning Scottish football to comply with the agreed protocols. We’ve had all sorts of issues before the league restarted  with games delayed and abandoned because of failures in the processes. We’ve now had 2 instances where players have failed to follow the protocols. This is a warning to show that action will be taken, not because they’ve transmitted the virus, but because they broke protocols designed to prevent transmission. The protocols are designed to protect Public Health, therefore breaking them is a risk to Public Health and they want them taken seriously. 

By the way, the social distancing agreed for footballers isn’t for them training or playing, the protocols are to allow them not to social distance in training/playing but they do restrict them outside that more than the rest of the population.

The Bold is exactly the point. it isn't a public health matter.

Taking punative measures against an industry for the actions of single employees is no way to run a country.

We will see how proactive they are in shutting schools right across the country if we get into double digits of teachers breaking lockdown rules...

Football is a soft target and not exactly stretching to say it is being used as a welcome distraction in the wake of the exam farce.

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Dominic Cummings not going back into self isolation after being free of coronavirus was not the problem. Have a word with yourself.

No, Cummings being privileged and utterly getting away with it without even the smallest punishment was. The government burying It totally destroyed their own message because it was seen to be fine not to stick to the rules if you chose not to.

That is the point. 

Edited by Jambomo

Any details or evidence of these protocols which restrict footballers outside work more than you or I? The eight Dons players broke the law (no more than three households in group indoors) and so did Bolingoli (isolation after being in Spain).

Alex Dyer (I think) said he had told his players they could go to restaurants and not pubs. So assuming Killie are acting within the protocols, and the protocols do what you say they do, does that mean that the protocols say that its okay to go to restaurants but not to pubs?

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The Bold is exactly the point. it isn't a public health matter.

Taking punative measures against an industry for the actions of single employees is no way to run a country.

We will see how proactive they are in shutting schools right across the country if we get into double digits of teachers breaking lockdown rules...

Football is a soft target and not exactly stretching to say it is being used as a welcome distraction in the wake of the exam farce.

See, here’s the thing, public health is about protecting the public. So you put rules in place to do it. You break the rules, you reduce the protection, you get caught you get taken to task for it. It doesn’t matter if anybody actually came to harm, it’s just rule breaking and if there’s no consequences for breaking rules, more people break them, less protection for the public. Ensuring public health rules are upheld is a public health issue. The warning to football today is designed to show there are consequences if somebody breaks them, therefore it is a measure to protect public health.

i know you’ll probably never agree, I’ve made my point as simply as I can and I’ll leave you in peace. Keep safe.

31 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It is slightly different because Cummings wasn’t punished at all whereas the BBC has reported that Bolingoli was issued with a fixed penalty notice. 

2 hours ago, Huisdean50 said:

Since when has Scottish football been the prime driver of this virus as the Government appears to want us to believe. 

The Aberdeen players made a mistake going to the bar but was this a malicious act or has it been proven that this has spread the virus in Aberdeen. It is safe to assume that the 4 household rule is frequently broken in pubs or, as someone a few doors up from me, who decided to have a party on Saturday with over 20 people did as well. Much more chance of these people spreading the virus than the Aberdeen players. 

With regard to the Celtic incident, this is possibly the more serious of the two incidents. Again however, aren't the Government meant to do checks on the people who should be self isolating after returning from these countries but hey, let's not look at any Government failings when football can be the whipping boy. Opening up the pubs has caused the current problems with the virus, not football. 

Welcome but footballers aren’t living in the real world just now, they need to be beyond reproach to allow our game to continue.  The Aberdeen 8 didn’t cause the outbreak up there, a rogue party is irrelevant unless SPFL players were at it, Bolingoli’s breach was not down to a failure in government process.

4 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The risk is that there's a more stringent shutdown that puts the Celtic-KR tie in peril...

I think something else would have to come out between now and then to put that tie at risk.

And if it did, I can't help but feel that European football would be the least of Celtic's concerns.

4 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The risk is that there's a more stringent shutdown that puts the Celtic-KR tie in peril...

Bolingoli may have ended Celtic’s 10 IAR bid (Hibs really) which would be funny.