COVID-19 In Scottish Football

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Us, Motherwell and another team had issues with delayed results for bounce games.

Yeah, I thought that was the situation. Why treat them differently? It's not like the virus understands the difference between a friendly and a SPFL fixture, after all.

None of the requirements put in place seem particularly onerous (although I'd agree regular testing gets a wee bit wearing, especially on the nose), given what appears to be the wide accptance of the importance of the game. Any player or club who can't abide by the rules - or, as I believe may well be the case, thinks the rules are for the "wee clubs" - should get fucking hammered.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can see no reason why a purely discretionary activity mainly carried out by fit young people should be treated differently from accommodation and care for the most vulnerable in society. 

The consequence of Aberdeen beating the fermers being postponed was limited to some of their posters pissing their pants. 

What might the consequences of closing a care home be? 

Because it's front and centre of everyday life.  Almost everyone here (by virtue of being reasonably interested) can fairly accurately describe the arrangement that football clubs, players, and referees have agreed to in order to continue playing.

I presume that none of you, unless employed in those areas, can describe any of the protocols that NHS, schools, care homes, or travel companies have in place right now as *specifically* mandated by the government?

The whatabboutery going on is incredible.

It's basically irrelevant what anyone else is or isn't doing.  The only aspect is the rules and agreements specifically setup for football.  What care homes have done or have not done is less than irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Because it's front and centre of everyday life.  Almost everyone here (by virtue of being reasonably interested) can fairly accurately describe the arrangement that football clubs, players, and referees have agreed to in order to continue playing.

I presume that none of you, unless employed in those areas, can describe any of the protocols that NHS, schools, care homes, or travel companies have in place right now as *specifically* mandated by the government?

The whatabboutery going on is incredible.

It's basically irrelevant what anyone else is or isn't doing.  The only aspect is the rules and agreements specifically setup for football.  What care homes have done or have not done is less than irrelevant. 

I think you may have been whooshed, sir.

25 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Should be three points each to Accies and Buddies, six away from the dons and six off the green sisters. Now THAT might focus their fucking minds.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

The double standards on display at almost every level from the government to the moral outrage brigade on here is absolutely wild. 

I don't disagree with you, I've said 'whether fair or not', there was an expectation placed on football to be judged by different standards. It isn't reasonable to me to make an example out of football by postponing matches when playing them would be carried out in a far more rigidly safe structure than many workplaces, schools, restaurants and pubs.

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Should be three points each to Accies and Buddies, six away from the dons and six off the green sisters. Now THAT might focus their fucking minds.

Whilst sympathetic to the idea of declaring the games a win for the opposition side, Celtic V Aberdeen is one of the games impacted. Would you postpone that game, even though the other games would not be postponed in that scenario? 

10 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but the SFA have already set a precedent by re-arranging the Aberdeen vs St Johnstone game. They'll need to do the same for these, or reverse that decision and have Aberdeen forfeit 3 games, which they'll never do.  

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I don't disagree with you, I've said 'whether fair or not', there was an expectation placed on football to be judged by different standards. It isn't reasonable to me to make an example out of football by postponing matches when playing them would be carried out in a far more rigidly safe structure than many workplaces, schools, restaurants and pubs.

An expectation inspired on the one hand by stupidity. A lot of people seem to think because they consume a lot of football content then it must be of central importance to everything. In the context of Covid it's irrelevant.

The government obviously know this but it suits them for the focus to be on something harmless like a guy going to Spain and not getting Covid rather than care homes or exam results. 

Edited by Detournement

3 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Aberdeen & Celtic haven't been quarantined, they've been punished. They need to prove their players are on task.

The Scottish Government were explicit that they leave the discipline side of things to the SPFL/SFA.

If the Scottish Government have postponed the games (which they have), then it's been done on public health grounds.