COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Pausing it is useless. Go in heavy on the offenders, make it clear that any future breaches could cost you your job or at the very least a small fortune. Pausing does nothing, it doesn't punish the offenders, just makes it even more difficult to get through the season.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

It's just a rumour for now, but I would really struggle to understand the logic behind this one.

Postponing Celtics games? Yeah, I could understand that. Killie? Bit of a stretch but again, understandable.

The other teams? I don't see the justification in terms of health risks. If it's about sending a message, surely that is better sent through discipline of individual players/clubs.

One way to send a message through discipline is that and offending club has to forfeit all their games in the following 14 day window with standard 3-0 loses and as for the likes of what happened on sunday. That result is over turned and the full 3 points are given to the opposing  team and if they also have to call off any games in that 14 day window. Then just its just standard re-arranged games

You can't account for individuals being dicks but you can show you are serious about dealing with them.

The SPFL should have sanctioned Aberdeen at the time. Postponing the game makes It look like some sort of force majeure.

It wouldn't have stopped the Celtic incidents but would have shown the league are serious about what they have committed to.

Looking at it from a Scot Gov pov and not a season ticket holder it looks like Scottish football are taking the piss.

However, politics is politics and enough bad press for govt at moment.

I imagine it will be a strict last chance saloon type statement with SPFL saying they will come down like a tonne of bricks if any more breaches.

There’s no doubt the players broke the rules but maybe it’s time we took a look at the policy.

Its completely nonsensical.

Here in Scotland there have been no deaths for a few weeks and for anyone up to around 60 who’s in reasonable shape, you’ve as much chance of dying from COVID as being struck by lightning.

As this goes on, extra deaths from people not getting proper NHS treatment are piling up, cancers not being diagnosed, heart disease being ignored, you name it.

We also see unemployment ratcheting up, poverty increasing, education being lost, the population being muzzled,the whole fabric of society being destroyed for what????

Im probably in a minority of one but I fail to see the logic in this.

Sturgeon keeps banging on about eliminating the virus but the best that can be hoped for is containment and learning to live with it.

This current policy is madness and will do nothing other can condemn thousands to the scrap heap, destroy our liberties through needless muzzling , ruin society and increase illness and disease of the non COVID variety.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

There’s no doubt the players broke the rules but maybe it’s time we took a look at the policy.

Here in Scotland there have been no deaths for a few weeks and for anyone up to around 60 who’s in reasonable shape, you’ve as much chance of dying from COVID as being struck by lightning.

As this goes on, extra deaths from people not getting proper NHS treatment are piling up, cancers not being diagnosed, heart disease being ignored, you name it.

We also see unemployment ratcheting up, poverty increasing, education being lost, the population being muzzled,the whole fabric of society being destroyed for what????

Im probably in a minority of one but I fail to see the logic in this.Sturgeon keeps banging on about eliminating the virus but the best that can be hoped for is containment and learning to live with it.

The policy of quarantining people coming in from Spain and bubbles for football teams travelling the country is a containment measure.

5 minutes ago, Caley_Scot said:

One way to send a message through discipline is that and offending club has to forfeit all their games in the following 14 day window with standard 3-0 loses and as for the likes of what happened on sunday. That result is over turned and the full 3 points are given to the opposing  team and if they also have to call off any games in that 14 day window. Then just its just standard re-arranged games

That would have a huge impact on the league table if we did that. I appreciate where you're coming from but it feels like using a hammer to crack a nut.

As others have said, these guys are unlikely to be the last. Important not to lose the run of ourselves. I think a fine and a ban for the offenders would be suffice.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

The rely of an educated person???

We're talking about players blatantly disregarding the rules set out and your first thought is to come on and say "b-b-but the rules are silly!!!1" all because you hate Nicola Sturgeon. You're a horrible wee Tory c**t who's already been exposed as an abhorrent bawbag in your own clubs thread. You can f**k off.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

That would have a huge impact on the league table if we did that. I appreciate where you're coming from but it feels like using a hammer to crack a nut.

As others have said, these guys are unlikely to be the last. Important not to lose the run of ourselves. I think a fine and a ban for the offenders would be suffice.

I know its like a hammer to crack a nut. But maybe its whats needed as some of these guys dont seem to be heeding the we’ve asked you nicely approach, so why not go hammer and tongs? Maybe it’ll work or it won’t. But might make them think twice first

It should just be the players that breach the rules that get hammered. Games shouldn't be postponed unless there is at least a positive case, and no one is too blame. Even then the games should go ahead even if teams have to play with the youth teams. In the guess of Bolingoli, if Celtic knew he had breached the rules and played him anyway, then they should get a points deduction.

Please could someone, step by step, explaining the benefits of pausing the league, because I’m totally lost here otherwise.

If the league is paused, players will continue to be paid, and in fact have more free time and even less responsibility to flout COVID restrictions.

Apart from the “show the troublemakers we’re serious by punishing the lot of them” line - which is something from a P2 teacher’s playbook - what good reason is there to pause the league?

It would be a massive over reaction to pause the whole game. 

Football should not be treated any differently from any other business at the moment.  

Some daft twat did the same on Ballieston but they haven't shut the entire hospitality industry down. 

There hasn't been enough time yet to show evidence of the clubs taking action against those involved. They need to be severely punished and evidence presented to the gov't that action is being taken to deter idiots doing similar things. 

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Im probably in a minority of one but I fail to see the logic in this.

Sturgeon keeps banging on about eliminating the virus but the best that can be hoped for is containment and learning to live with it.

This current policy is madness and will do nothing other can condemn thousands to the scrap heap, destroy our liberties through needless muzzling , ruin society and increase illness and disease of the non COVID variety.

Players are clearly not learning to live with the protocols.

if the policy that has brought no deaths in close to 4 weeks is nonsensical, what is the new policy?

2 minutes ago, Caley_Scot said:

I know its like a hammer to crack a nut. But maybe its whats needed as some of these guys dont seem to be heeding the we’ve asked you nicely approach, so why not go hammer and tongs? Maybe it’ll work or it won’t. But might make them think twice first

The problem with it is that it would have a huge and disproportionate effect on the league table.

FWIW I think that a player is more likely to be hurt by a fine and a ban, therefore hurting his income, rather than points lost for his team, which affects others much more than it affects him.

The only scenario where I could see a points deduction making sense is if, like stated above, a Club has knowingly and deliberately disobeyed the rules and played a player who should have quarantined or is positive or something.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I’d rather drop dead than ever vote Tory, but I can’t see much wrong with what he’s said there...

Well right off the bat he's talking shite about there being no deaths here for weeks. He's also doing his usual Trump-esque "destroying our liberty" chat which is just hilariously fucking mental. He's tried to deflect away from the subject matter of players being irresponsible fannies to take a dig at the government, when really anyone with a brain can see the players are the ones at fault here.