I mostly pay for taxis in apps in advance by card as it is quicker and less hassle, especially as many of them seem to struggle to get the card reader to work or get a signal at the end of the journey (code for 'pay me by cash'). I've had several taxi drivers moan like drains about card payments and how they prefer the cash. Again I suspect for many cash is untraceable. 

10 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
37 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
China China takes card, no? 

They may. I did say the majority. Certainly the three or four I've used fairly recently, don't accept card. There must only be 6 or 7 in Perth?

China China, Hong Kong and Shanghai all take card. The Happy Valley doesn't, and neither does the Crieff Road Chippy (I know it isn't a Chinese, but it is run by a Chinese family). Fu Lam out at Stanley doesn't take card either.

12 hours ago, 101 said:

@ me next time lads.

A tie is a wonderful thing. Fair cheers up a dull suit. Especially if you don't have the more modern cut away collars that look utterly daft when they are left open.

Suits are crap gear, middle class overalls or for the accused in court. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

There is one in Stobbie which is owned by a guy who goes AWOL (claims he's in China) about 6 months of the year to avoid paying taxes himself. They were all over the news here last year or the year before for £180k-ish in unpaid taxes (I'd assume that's business and personal) so it shut for like a month and then re-opened 'under new management'. Exact same owner. Exact same workers. 

If you can find a loophole and exploit it, go for it. 

"Another winner down at Frankies!"

frankie.JPG.3cbbd0b30dd6435da2f6fc777d905392.JPG

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Takeaways are a tax avoidance play ground. There's just eat, contactless, till cash all a big melee, poorly kept books etc. Usually for obfuscation, quite often add in the a language barrier, owner, managers and staff all denying who they are or knowing each other beyond the shop.

Not using contactless is more likely about maximising the untraceable cash transaction than technophobia.

Black Rooster just went the extra step eh?

Ties are for car salesmen and people that are either stuck in the 90’s or trying too hard. Or all three.
They have a place at formal occasions such as weddings and funerals but not in a modern workplace.

I work in a client facing role for a FTSE 100 and I’ve never worn a tie to work nor have I been asked to. Come to think of it I don’t think I’ve seen any of the senior management in a tie either.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'd agree with that, it's not specific to Chinese takeaways. 

There is one in Stobbie which is owned by a guy who goes AWOL (claims he's in China) about 6 months of the year to avoid paying taxes himself. They were all over the news here last year or the year before for £180k-ish in unpaid taxes (I'd assume that's business and personal) so it shut for like a month and then re-opened 'under new management'. Exact same owner. Exact same workers. 

If you can find a loophole and exploit it, go for it. 

I should point out that neither of failing to record cash sales nor lying about days in the country are in fact loopholes and are both evasion which can be a criminal offence. 

It is possible for me to go to the supermarket and leave without paying for a couple of hundred pounds worth of steaks and booze, but it's not a loophole. 

Just now, coprolite said:

It is possible for me to go to the supermarket and leave without paying for a couple of hundred pounds worth of steaks and booze, but it's not a loophole. 

It certainly is a loophole until you get caught. 

Should add that I used to work down a cave in which the closest to a utility supply consisted of a waterfall crashing through the roof, and I was frequently asked whether or not I accepted card payments for transactions.

tenor.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

China China, Hong Kong and Shanghai all take card. The Happy Valley doesn't, and neither does the Crieff Road Chippy (I know it isn't a Chinese, but it is run by a Chinese family). Fu Lam out at Stanley doesn't take card either.
HK and Shanghai must be fairly recently. New Diamond, Panda Garden, Chan's, Jade Palace, Tulloch Chinese, River Green don't unless that's changed in the last few months.

Compared to the Kebab Houses, Indian places and the like that's a high proportion who don't bother taking card payment.

The Eat Out to Help Out scheme lets HMRC wade into the restaurant's business, its turnover and takings. Amazing the number of Chinese restaurants in Stirling that have not signed up for the scheme.

Spoiler

Answer = 0 of 82 registered restaurants within a 5 mile radius of the city centre. Clearly the benefits of 12 days boosted trade isn't quite worth the financial intelligence it gives to HMRC...

Spoiler

And yes, I get the irony of a Sevconian offering an opinion on non-compliance with HMRC. Get over yourselves.

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The Eat Out to Help Out scheme lets HMRC wade into the restaurant's business, its turnover and takings. Amazing the number of Chinese restaurants in Stirling that have not signed up for the scheme.

Hide contents

Answer = 0 of 82 registered restaurants within a 5 mile radius of the city centre. Clearly the benefits of 12 days boosted trade isn't quite worth the financial intelligence it gives to HMRC...

Hide contents

And yes, I get the irony of a Sevconian offering an opinion on non-compliance with HMRC. Get over yourselves.

82 Chinese restaurants in Stirling??

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Beefeater haven't either, and they sound quite staunch. Might be easier to count up who has signed up for it.

Edited by welshbairn