Cash will always be around in some form or another.

What is changing - and was changing even before COVID - 19 - is the amount of merchants who won't take cash, and you can see why. Cash is expensive for businesses. It needs to be sorted, counted and then transferred from the place of business to a bank.  Any cash taking business is also liable for it being stolen by staff or criminals.

Now these things are all still true, and on top of them handling cash is a health and safety issue for businesses. Touching money which has been through goodness knows how many hands and then touching your face afterwards can lead to the spread of infection. By the end of the decade cash taking businesses will be in the minority.

Personally i haven't really used cash for years, mainly because i used to lose it.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

What is changing - and was changing even before COVID - 19 - is the amount of merchants who won't take cash, and you can see why. Cash is expensive for businesses. It needs to be sorted, counted and then transferred from the place of business to a bank.  Any cash taking business is also liable for it being stolen by staff or criminals.

Now these things are all still true, and on top of them handling cash is a health and safety issue for businesses. Touching money which has been through goodness knows how many hands and then touching your face afterwards can lead to the spread of infection. By the end of the decade cash taking businesses will be in the minority.

Personally i haven't really used cash for years, mainly because i used to lose it.

I worry about this - cash was introduced as a universal payment and if you order food and presented with a bill and only had cash I'm not sure legally the business can pursue you if you refuse to pay by card. Especially if the business only accept Visa/Mastercard and not all card merchants then things can get messy.

I worry about this - cash was introduced as a universal payment and if you order food and presented with a bill and only had cash I'm not sure legally the business can pursue you if you refuse to pay by card. Especially if the business only accept Visa/Mastercard and not all card merchants then things can get messy.

This is happening now.

Wagamamas in Silverburn - and I assume across the country - doesn’t accept cash now and tells everyone as they enter. If it’s communicated properly before a purchase is made there can be no complaint.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

My mrs work is card only.

Turned people away that only had cash.

8 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

My mrs work is card only.

Turned people away that only had cash.

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

This is happening now.

Wagamamas in Silverburn - and I assume across the country - doesn’t accept cash now and tells everyone as they enter. If it’s communicated properly before a purchase is made there can be no complaint.

This is how it should be done - don't have sympathy for companies who when they present the bill they say oh btw no cash.

I wonder how this effects tips.

people are still paying in goat and rice, you western c**t.....

In my village we have 3 shopos that can take visa, everything else dirty cash, just how it should be... I usually get them to lick the notes before handing over. I'm clean man, never what durt in a my pocket.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

At a guess, I'd say that the merchants/businesses you refer to were those who had decided, or very much identified, who their customer base was.

In the coming business environment, it seems to me that a lot of these businesses, if they have survived, are going to have to be a lot less precious, or choosy, about

insisting their customers pay by specific means.

Drug deal?  Not exactly my area of expertise, but seems to me that the enduring advantage of cash is that it leaves no audit trail.  Any software based pay app always

has an audit trail, that authorities can demand to see.   The only exception being, presumably , blockchain based transactions ?

2 hours ago, 101 said:

This is how it should be done - don't have sympathy for companies who when they present the bill they say oh btw no cash.

I wonder how this effects tips.

I went to an Indian in Broughty Ferry and settled up by card - there was a gratuity add on button. 

Money will never leave until merchants aren't charged for having contactless. Many small business' simply can't afford to work by card only payments when they lose about ~2% per transaction. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

I went to an Indian in Broughty Ferry and settled up by card - there was a gratuity add on button. 
Money will never leave until merchants aren't charged for having contactless. Many small business' simply can't afford to work by card only payments when they lose about ~2% per transaction. 
Businesses get charged by banks for depositing cash though don't they? Not sure how much it is tho.

Definitely prefer using my card. Previously on a night out I hated c***s who held up the queue when paying by card but these days contactless has changed that. 

I took £30 out before Lockdown and it took until May or June before it was gone and I had to take money out the wall again. 

Was in Germany 2 weeks ago and found its still very much cash is king there. Many places I visited only took cash but pre-lockdown when I was in Germany almost every month, many bars and restaurants plus small shops don't have card facilities. 

I’m happy to use card but it wasn’t that long ago that there was a few network failures (I don’t know if it was just a local thing) and local shops etc weren’t able to take card payments for about 3 days. I don’t think that having no alternative option should there be any major issue would be sensible. 

It also sounds like a tinfoil hat comment but I worry about the data that cards generate and the potential for misuse or for using it for profit.