29 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Anyone been in Germany lately? Was in Berlin in Feb, pretty amazing how many places don't take card considering they'll supposedly ahead of us on so many things over there

Very much still a cash culture. German pal was over and was quite shocked at me using contactless for train tickets etc. Think a lot of it is down to... ahem....recent German history and and an unwillingness to create an audit trail.  

18 minutes ago, PWL said:

Very much still a cash culture. German pal was over and was quite shocked at me using contactless for train tickets etc. Think a lot of it is down to... ahem....recent German history and and an unwillingness to create an audit trail.  

I had a mate who lived in Berlin until fairly recently. He was telling me that the very idea of mobile banking was just about taking off over there. Previously he still had to write cheques or send cash to give money to friends.

Madness.

Free cash withdrawls are also pretty much unheard of too unless you use an atm in an actual bank branch.

Their ticket and vending machines only recently started taking cards too.

Very cash oriented society as you say.

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I went to an Indian in Broughty Ferry and settled up by card - there was a gratuity add on button. 

Money will never leave until merchants aren't charged for having contactless. Many small business' simply can't afford to work by card only payments when they lose about ~2% per transaction. 

I always worry when the gratuity is on the card that it won't make it too the staff

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Tell them to f**k off with that and give the waiter a cash tip.

I agree but if we are going to get to a cashless society then we need to be able to be sure that tips paid by card get to the staff without any deductions otherwise we don't change the safety of cash as I would hope (and my experience is) most folk tip

11 hours ago, 101 said:

I agree but if we are going to get to a cashless society then we need to be able to be sure that tips paid by card get to the staff without any deductions otherwise we don't change the safety of cash as I would hope (and my experience is) most folk tip

If they go through card they're due a tax deduction. 

A place I used to work now have an app to order food and drink, where they take a automatic 10% service charge (you can change this to 0%) and will go to the staff (after tax). They're looking at getting about £350/400 this month in card tips which is madness. I absolutely did not get that much.

I used my card or applepay for pretty much everything now. Take cash out if going to the greengrocer.

Very rarely use cash. Whenever I have any I have a terrible urge to spend it straight away, whereas if it’s in the bank it seems less disposable. Also the odd time I’ve had more than one of those new £20 notes in my possession I think I’ve lost one because they stick together, pain in the arse. Have also noticed a big reduction in the amount of free ATMs kicking about. Unless you go to a supermarket or a bank branch you’ll struggle in most places I think. 

Even match days at Clyde now can be done cashless. Admission, food and drink etc can all be done using contactless. The way forward for sure. 

16 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Anyone been in Germany lately? Was in Berlin in Feb, pretty amazing how many places don't take card considering they'll supposedly ahead of us on so many things over there

I was in Berlin in February for a stag do, I took 100 Euros with me just to have in case it was required, the other 4 guys all had something called a monzo app which they planned on using everywhere. I was laughed at for being a peasant with actual cash on me but we got a taxi from the airport and my pal sat trying to get his app to send the payment for about 5 minutes before I pulled out 20 Euros and settled the fare. I can't be arsed with that fucking around. Walked into the first bar, guy pours 5 pints, pal gets his phone app out and guy immediately says cash only. If I was a total c**t I'd have paid for my own pint and sat down, but ended up paying for round after round until they all got to an ATM.

Fan of the cash as it allows me to quickly glance over the bank statement to make sure no mischief has been afoot.  Anything that isn't a £50 from an ATM sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm too lazy to look through four pages documenting every little transaction.

I do enjoy the benefits of the modern methods of payment. Quick and easy for sure.

That said, there's always cash (£10 or £20) in my wallet should the need arise. 

There's still a need for it in this day and age and whilst it may become less common, it's not going away any time soon. 

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

Card machine wasn't working in the butcher's this morning. Pain in the arse. Had to go to the ATM.

No bank machines or contactless/PIN payments were working in Dundee (or Stobbie at least) from about 8am until 11am this morning. 

Another obstacle. 

I've had money in my wallet since the start of lockdown I'm hoping to finally bank today if the queue isn't daft (why were folk in huge bank queues every day at the height of lockdown??).  I haven't spent a penny of it.  

So much simpler just using Google Pay on your phone rather than scraping coins together. 

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I was in Berlin in February for a stag do, I took 100 Euros with me just to have in case it was required, the other 4 guys all had something called a monzo app which they planned on using everywhere. I was laughed at for being a peasant with actual cash on me but we got a taxi from the airport and my pal sat trying to get his app to send the payment for about 5 minutes before I pulled out 20 Euros and settled the fare. I can't be arsed with that fucking around. Walked into the first bar, guy pours 5 pints, pal gets his phone app out and guy immediately says cash only. If I was a total c**t I'd have paid for my own pint and sat down, but ended up paying for round after round until they all got to an ATM.

I sincerely hope your smugness had them all spewing

On 11/08/2020 at 21:33, Jambomo said:

It also sounds like a tinfoil hat comment but I worry about the data that cards generate and the potential for misuse or for using it for profit.

Been happening for a very long time already. Previous employer of mines would use card transactions as markers for various products. If, to use one example, you used your card at a bookies, it would mark you down somewhere as being non averse to risk and a potential target for their brokerage arm.

28 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I sincerely hope your smugness had them all spewing

"All right lads, I've thought of a way to finally get Moonster to buy a round. Listen carefully.."

Edited by welshbairn