I haven’t spent cash since lockdown. I’ve been given some by friends for buying things but that’s it. 

Pre lockdown the common places for cash to be spent were pubs, small shops, football grounds taxis and ‘personal transactions’   The first 2 were already getting chipped away at  and COVID will have pushed that along quite a lot.  Football will need to adapt and probably would have done already had it been operating. It’s the small scale non-business exchanges that will take the longest. 

black market already needs to jump through quite a lot of hoops to be able to operate. Contactless won’t be that difficult to run and may well make their money laundering operations easier.

25 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Is it's days numbered?

Personally, I can't go a full day without using cash, and always have notes in my wallet and coins in my pocket.

I need convincing that I can go and buy the milk and paper in the morning without cash.

How will drug deals be done without cash?

Buying a paper leaves you stranded in the 80s, never mind cash.

A couple of the cash machines I pass on my way into town now charge to take out my own cash.

I still blatantly refuse to pay for pints with card and will go to awkward lengths to find a free cash machine so I don't have to pay for £3.50 T by card.

Getting rid of cash was difficult for a while there during lockdown but we seem to be back to normal on that front.

Cash is still king but the % of my wages now disappearing in DD and contactless payments is getting pretty high.

Just before lockdown started, I took £100 out of the Cashline. Up till last week, I still had some of the notes in my wallet. Only regular cash usage has been the couple of quid tip to Just Eat drivers. Yes I'm a fat bassa.

Ordering by app in a pub and having a pint of T delivered to your table is a revelation. However, I can see how folk easily lose track of their spending rather than limiting it to what cash they have taken out. 

Edited by PWL

33 minutes ago, PWL said:

Just before lockdown started, I took £100 out of the Cashline. Up till last week, I still had some of the notes in my wallet. Only regular cash usage has been the couple of quid tip to Just Eat drivers. Yes I'm a fat bassa.

Ordering by app in a pub and having a pint of T delivered to your table is a revelation. However, I can see how folk easily lose track of their spending rather than limiting it to what cash they have taken out. 

Hookers gone contactless?!