20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

Happy just to get back to winning ways.  1st half we really rode our luck,  but 2nd half our fitness levels and a big slice of luck made things easier than the scoreline suggests. 

Impressed with Thistle- think they'll have no problem bouncing straight back up.

Thought we were very good tonight. 4-1 probably flattered Saints, but it doesn’t help when our defence and keeper implode completely. By and large though, I thought we played some good stuff and caused a fair few problems to a team two leagues higher and with more competitive games under their belts.

Rhys Breen won’t be up against many better players than Obika in the league, but he’ll need to get up to speed quickly as he couldn’t deal with him. Brownlie had a decent first half, but wasn’t up to much in the second. Thought Shea Gordon was atrocious though. Lost the ball countless times in the middle of the park with simple passes and it was his man for the first St Mirren goal.

Very impressed with Docherty and Murray looks like he’ll be very dangerous against lesser opposition. Brian Graham was excellent and will score goals for fun in League 1. Play like that every week (with an improved defence) and we’ll win the league at an absolute canter.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'll confess I forgot all about it too and as it wound down I was simply thinking in terms a point each for the draw.  Fortunately though, I absent mindedly left it on, so managed to watch our glorious grabbing of the third point.

Only a second point surely, one point for the draw and a bonus point for the penalty win.

10 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Very impressed with Docherty and Murray looks like he’ll be very dangerous against lesser opposition. Brian Graham was excellent and will score goals for fun in League 1. Play like that every week (with an improved defence) and we’ll win the league at an absolute canter.

Graham really stood out. He was a MoM contender; thought his hold-up play and distribution was excellent. 

We played a back 3 that had two full backs in it and they played like they were full backs too. The amount of times Tait and Fraser (especially) were charging up the park was ridiculous. No wonder we looked so fragile at the back.

Connolly and Foley were miles better than Junior and Sheron when they came on. They should both start next week.

We’ve just come off a run of six straight league defeats and our Twitter fan base go on full scale meltdown because we didn’t play that well. You couldn’t make it up. We score 4 while not firing on all cylinders in a cup tie and it’s not good enough.

At the end of the day it was a a walk in the park the score reflects that. Thistle look not bad but it is a team for a battle in the lower league.  I dont think so Thistle will surf  the top of the league but is that a team that can battle every game to get out the league ? Like Thistle great day out always. McColl is a decent manager should see Thistle back in the championship.  Saints just far too strong for the huff and puff Thistle.  

56 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Thought we were very good tonight. 4-1 probably flattered Saints, but it doesn’t help when our defence and keeper implode completely. By and large though, I thought we played some good stuff and caused a fair few problems to a team two leagues higher and with more competitive games under their belts.

Rhys Breen won’t be up against many better players than Obika in the league, but he’ll need to get up to speed quickly as he couldn’t deal with him. Brownlie had a decent first half, but wasn’t up to much in the second. Thought Shea Gordon was atrocious though. Lost the ball countless times in the middle of the park with simple passes and it was his man for the first St Mirren goal.

Agree, I was impressed with Thistle in general play, but you missed loads of chances and have a suspect defence. I don't know if that was a typical performance from your goalkeeper, but if it was you definitely need an upgrade there.

Graham really stood out. He was a MoM contender; thought his hold-up play and distribution was excellent. 
Graham looked much better than Erwin, it has to be said.

4-1 definitely flattered us. We were really poor again, if Thistle had 5 competitive games under their belt the scoreline could have been reversed BUT before the game it was all about stopping the rot of losses, which we have done.

Shouldn’t really moan after a 4-1 win but I will anyway.

I hoped we’d finally try to play a bit of football tonight ..against a team two divisions below who haven’t played a competitive game yet there really won’t be a better opportunity.

With Ethan, Cammy and Jamie McGrath on the park we should at least have been able to string some passes together and dominate the game. Instead at the first opportunity we continue to hoof it up the park hoping the two big guys can hold it in...neither could.

I don’t mind Jim trying three at the back in these games..given our lack options in defence we need some flexibility.. however we haven’t yet looked capable of making it work. If Thistle had bagged 3 or 4 in the first half we couldn’t have complained.

Great pass from Kyle for goal 2 ..here’s hoping it helps him gain confidence. Hoping for a bit of magic from him in every game though isn’t enough.

Last season , even when results were against us early on , I always had faith we’d turn it round as we were regularly dominating games and playing some good stuff. I’ve not got anywhere near the same confidence this season.

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree, I was impressed with Thistle in general play, but you missed loads of chances and have a suspect defence. I don't know if that was a typical performance from your goalkeeper, but if it was you definitely need an upgrade there.

It was 4-1 Thistle are going to have a hard season, think pub league and you will be close. Ask Falkirk fans they have now experienced the pub league and will get out it. For Thistle it will be a wake up call. I feel for any decent club that ends up down there. 

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Graham looked much better than Erwin, it has to be said.

4-1 definitely flattered us. We were really poor again, if Thistle had 5 competitive games under their belt the scoreline could have been reversed BUT before the game it was all about stopping the rot of losses, which we have done.

4- 1 is for one. Ten years form now a young kid will look at that score and think it was easy. Do we now ? Fact is it was 4-1 simple.  

Edited by ZingaliMan

4- 1 is for one. Ten years form now a young kid will look at that score and think it was easy. Do we now ? Fact is it was 4-1 simple.  
Will a young kid look back at this score? [emoji23] I doubt it, unless we miraculously win the damn thing this season, which ain't happening.

Got to be delighted with the score. Connolly and McAllister reaped the rewards of a tiring defence, probably a game plan from Jim, which paid off.

Would be nice to get a settled back 4 again.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Will a young kid look back at this score? emoji23.png I doubt it, unless we miraculously win the damn thing this season, which ain't happening.

Got to be delighted with the score. Connolly and McAllister reaped the rewards of a tiring defence, probably a game plan from Jim, which paid off.

Would be nice to get a settled back 4 again.

I'm probably different as a young kid I was always looking up the wee red book. I was born 1959 right enough.  No matter what way you look at it. 4 - 1 is 4 -1. 

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Graham’s been an excellent signing for us so far, even pre-lockdown, he was the best player in our squad, by a mile at times, just for his overall leadership. He’ll get at least 15 goals this season, if he gets the service, really delighted we managed to keep hold of him, after the relegation. 

In terms of St Mirren, Richard Tait was brilliant at both ends of the pitch.

Disappointing capitulation with some worryingly familiar flaws. Central defence seemed to get worse in second half.

Sneddon inspired little if any confidence and was into Colin Clown Shoes territory in the last 20 minutes.

Tait finished his goal very well but from our point of view seemed very similar to his winner versus Livingston?

Gordon did his usual disappearing act but had some decent runs into the box but couldn't finish. He did make a tackle but basically a man down.

Played well at times but profligate in front of goal. Seemed to face mentally iand physically n  thelast 15 minutes.

As mentioned is this a side that can dig in and battle for wins in the league? 

Docherty and Graham were decent and Spittal seems ready to go.

Positive result for The Mirren but you can also see why they are struggling towards the foot of the premiership.

Over 9 months since I've watched Thistle. Felt like they'd never been away and not in a good way watching parts of thst.

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Only a second point surely, one point for the draw and a bonus point for the penalty win.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The third of the points available.  I'd just said the sides had shared the other two.  

Ah,  that explains it, I think. 

Credit to St Mirren Tv for their coverage. Signed up 15 minutes before the match and stream was fine. Nice to see Gary Peebles beforehand and Tommy Turner with his 'big man analysis of the match.

I'm not holding out much hope for the quality of The Glasgow Derby clash on Saturday viewing experience...

3 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Credit to St Mirren Tv for their coverage. Signed up 15 minutes before the match and stream was fine. Nice to see Gary Peebles beforehand and Tommy Turner with his 'big man analysis of the match.

I'm not holding out much hope for the quality of The Glasgow Derby clash on Saturday viewing experience...

I’ve got to agree fair play to St Mirren TV, the stream was good quality, with replays and different cameras. I also thought the commentators did a good job of not coming across bias and gave a fair analysis of the game. That sort of coverage makes online matches so much more watchable.