20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

come on,you must admit it was a belter.😂

What on earth are Morton wearing a dark blue kit for? Surely their yellow kit would have been a better option? The blue one is fine against the front of the St Mirren kit but with them having solid black backs they look very similar from behind. Surprised the referee allowed that.

Quick word about Morton: actually thought they really came onto a game in the second half and caused us a lot of problems.

To what extent that was self-inflicted on our part, I don't know. But I think large parts of our first-half dominance were clearly due to Morton playing on their own 18-yard line, so it swings both ways.

After 45 mins, I thought you were really going to be in trouble this season. But you looked far more like Hopkin's Livi in the second half - rattling our defence and forcing us to go long. Tap into that regularly and you'll be fine. Don't mean that to sound patronising; just my observations.

Thoughts so far? This is the most lopsided derby game in the last 20 years. We're just so limited we've nothing to offer St Mirren here.
The 2nd half was more what I was expecting from Morton, not what I was expecting from us after the 1st half though.

I think both managers should be pretty raging. Hopkins sounded more upbeat after the game but the first half showing from Morton was disgraceful. Almost as disgraceful as ours in the 2nd half, but not quite.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The 2nd half was more what I was expecting from Morton, not what I was expecting from us after the 1st half though.

I think both managers should be pretty raging. Hopkins sounded more upbeat after the game but the first half showing from Morton was disgraceful. Almost as disgraceful as ours in the 2nd half, but not quite.

There's a reason we were collectively furious about that starting XI last night. We knew what we were in for. Subbing off Blues for Jacobs just brought the midfield closer to what we should have started with, more so with every change we made after and suddenly we looked competitive.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Quick word about Morton: actually thought they really came onto a game in the second half and caused us a lot of problems.

To what extent that was self-inflicted on our part, I don't know. But I think large parts of our first-half dominance were clearly due to Morton playing on their own 18-yard line, so it swings both ways.

After 45 mins, I thought you were really going to be in trouble this season. But you looked far more like Hopkin's Livi in the second half - rattling our defence and forcing us to go long. Tap into that regularly and you'll be fine. Don't mean that to sound patronising; just my observations.

Problem is Hopkin keeps doing stuff like last night and starting teams that just land us in trouble and, the football from that first half is more or less what we've seen in all our league games. In fact that 2nd half against St Mirren is the longest good spell of play we've had this season. So unless he uses what he saw from this game and starts showing a bit more ambition to get forward we'll continue to struggle.

18 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Problem is Hopkin keeps doing stuff like last night and starting teams that just land us in trouble and, the football from that first half is more or less what we've seen in all our league games. In fact that 2nd half against St Mirren is the longest good spell of play we've had this season. So unless he uses what he saw from this game and starts showing a bit more ambition to get forward we'll continue to struggle.

The other thing is if they managed to keep St Mirren out in the first half would he have continued the anti fitba until the end?  Oh and Robbie Muirhead is pure dug meat.

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The other thing is if they managed to keep St Mirren out in the first half would he have continued the anti fitba until the end?  Oh and Robbie Muirhead is pure dug meat.

Aye the team have only really come out and played this season when they've had to. And yes he is.

37 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Fair play. I'm not sure much winds a set of fans up more than baffling selections and tactics. I think we're both in the same boat on that front.

Purists would inevitably disagree, but I thought it was alright entertainment last night. Obviously a fraction as good as it would've been with fans - it's pretty easy to imagine the pantomime levels of seethe that Strapp would've had our fans in - but on the whole, as a game of two totally different halves, it was alright.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

7 minutes till kick off and the 2 games in this group have attracted 1 post each......    The group format for the League Cup is a real attention grabber, ain't it?  🙄

It bores me shitless. Let's face it, even if fans were allowed in, the attendance on Wednesday would have been sub-2,000.

I can kinda make my peace with it when they are glorified pre-season friendlies, but this is awful.

On 11/11/2020 at 21:53, Skyline Drifter said:

So St Mirren go top by a goal with the penalty win but they aren't through yet. Four teams could still go through incredibly.

- Any win over Queens Park will put St Mirren through. A single goal loss with St Mirren scoring will also put them through if there isn't an outright winner in the Thistle v Morton game.

- Morton and Thistle can both get through by winning their head to head outright in 90 mins AND St Mirren losing outright at Queen's Park (or winning outright by several goals whilst St Mirren lose on penalties)

- Queen of the South can still get through but ONLY if St Mirren lose outright to Queen's Park by 1-0 or by two clear goals AND Thistle v Morton finishes a draw.

BBC saying we’re out before a ball is kicked. It isn’t even like they have assumed St.Mirren will beat QP because they refer to a shock helping Morton and Thistle. I know it won’t actually happen but saying Queens are out beforehand shows a lack of attention to detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54933225

34 minutes ago, Flash said:

BBC saying we’re out before a ball is kicked. It isn’t even like they have assumed St.Mirren will beat QP because they refer to a shock helping Morton and Thistle. I know it won’t actually happen but saying Queens are out beforehand shows a lack of attention to detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54933225

I for one am shocked at the BBC making an arse of this. 🙄

I honestly don’t think Jim Goodwin knows how to set a team up to do anything other than shifest their way through a game. 

Aye, been absolutely brutal!

Connolly looking sharp, tait involved a lot as usual and Cammy getting about the pitch are the only few positives I can take so far!

When you look at our squad, the performances have been mostly woeful. I’m afraid Jim Goodwin appears to be out of his depth. He has built a decent squad but appears to have no idea how to get the best out of them. I am not advocating change but he needs someone to steer him

Haven’t managed to set up the dodgy stream but sounds fairly brutal stuff on the audio.
Regardless as it stands - draws in both games - we are going through as group winners regardless of the result of the penalty shoot outs.