20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Kenzie said:

You will be gutted we did not use the stat that there are six bowling clubs within a mile radius of Hampden Bowling Club then...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, and on the commentary, without watching it back, the balance was probably a bit heavy towards the chat side compared to our previous live stream and we will take this on board going forward.

The QotS commentator mentioned a couple of times that is was “blowin a hoolie” during our game and various other random comments but FFS it’s not Sky, it is literally a couple of supporters shooting the shit while covering a game and that is what actually makes it better.

Enjoy it bud because without guys like you who are prepared to step up it would be like a St Johnstone home game 😏

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think you ever looked like "battering" us and I don't think it was as long as the "first quarter" either but we certainly started slowly (we could have scored inside the 1st minute but after that it took us about 10 - 15 to get started). We were one down and Leighfield made a terrific save to keep it at one. After that I thought we were well on top. Even before the equaliser we'd taken control and the only look ins you got after that were from a short backpass and an effort onto the top of the bar that was never actually going in. The Slater save was of the "tv" variety.

Agreed though that it could have been 2-0 before we got started and it would have been hard to come back from that. East's goal was a cheap header badly defended. It was like watching us concede from one of the many corners we concede from to be honest. Our 2nd goal was a terrific move. I'm not having it that it was especially soft and we were under no pressure at all second half. The only time you got anywhere was another bad backpass from McKee that Buchanan got back to deal with. By then we'd killed the game anyway.

Surprised we didn't give Dobbie 10 mins at Hampden on what is presumably his farewell season or, failing that, give a few minutes to a couple of youngsters but it was good to see us see out a game with no concerns. I accept Queen's Park are League 2 and also by second half were treating it as a training game with 5 subs, but they have plenty of decent players and are certainly no mugs.

Agree with most of this. We made 6 changes to the starting line up from Elgin so I was surprised at how well we started. Missed a sitter to go 2 up but after that I thought we got what we deserved. Defensively we looked all over the shop without Grant and Robson ( can't believe Patterson won MOTM on our twitter poll, I thought Carroll was our best performer) Giving them a free header from a corner for their first is everything we haven't done in the league so far. Their second was well worked and a lovely finish but the third we gave the ball away and not sure what Morrison was trying to do after that. Not too concerned given the changes, and obviously it's all about the league, but it just shows that maybe we're not as strong in certain areas for cover as we thought we were.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I always used to enjoy all those Mind the Gap memes from the Morton lads on here, back when we were in our 'rightful place'. Whatever happened to those? 

Never thought i'd miss Alex Salmond and Ainsley Harriet. I was right, I don't.

Weird one, don’t think it was a 3-1 game but over the piece we didn’t do enough to merit a positive result. Conceded some really cheap goals and it’s evident without Peter Grant and Robson, we’re nowhere near as strong defensively. I’ve been a massive fan of Gillespie since he joined the club but I actually thought he was one of the worst players, thought he got caught on the ball on a fair few occasions. Thought Quitongo had a really positive game and was surprised to see him subbed so early, maybe it was a fitness thing. For me, our best performer was Carroll and it was evident early on that he’s got a really strong presence alongside some impressive passing in between the lines, looking forward to see how he does throughout the season once he gains full fitness. At the end of the day, as long we’re beating league 2 teams that’s all I’m concerned about 

My biggest concern is seeing Slater being injured again. I was genuinely surprised to see him starting again yesterday considering he’s barely played since he’s joined the club and I’m fearing that for all the ability he’s got, injuries are gonna hamper him

Edited by qpfc

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I always used to enjoy all those Mind the Gap memes from the Morton lads on here, back when we were in our 'rightful place'. Whatever happened to those? 

When I worked at Amazon during that season there was a wee soapdodger who found out I was  Saints fan and all I got off him was "mind the gap! mind the gap!" and yeah, they did finish above us that season, our 2nd worse season ever and yet, as I gleefully told after the 4-1 win at Crappielow, over the 4 league games we still bested them on the H2H.

What I hope we'll go with:

--------------------------------------- Alnwick ------------------------

------------------------ Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy --------------

Tait ----- Doyle-Hayes ----- MacPherson ----- Erhahon ------- Mason

----------------------- Obika -------------- Dennis ---------------------------

In reality, it's likely to be McGrath alongside one of the strikers.

Nightshift so wont see the full game until tomorrow.  Good to hear Flynn will get a run out to build up his fitness. No disrespect to Morton the fact Saints now have a full fit squad should be too much for Morton. It being a local derby fully expect Morton to give it their best shoot though. Wont be the same without fans and their chocolate bars. 

I'd be looking for a lot of changes here. We should absolutely be putting the strongest team possible on the park to try and win the group rather than treating this tournament as a chance to give players games, but I'm not sure what our strongest team is and more to the point I don't think Hopkin knows either.

I am sure it doesn't have Blues or Orsi in it so with McAlister out as well, Colville, Lyon and MacIver should all be starting. Ledger should start in place of either McLean or McGinty regardless of whether that's as a right back in a four or a centre backs in a three. If we are going to play the back three, then whoever the right wing back is needs to actually play as a wing back with some positional discipline rather than spending more time as a centre foward - tactical flexibility is all well and good to mix up our attacking options but not at the cost of leaving a gaping hole down one side of the pitch.

Have the fear for this one. Can rarely remember going into a derby feeling like there is a pumping on the cards, even, as someone else said, when there was a bigger gap between the teams.

Narrow wins in the league against Alloa (not very good) and Ayr (threw the game at us in thelast 5 minutes) have papered over a series of terrible performances. The Raith result was coming as soon as we played a capable team. If St Mirren show up at all I expect similar from them.

20 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Have the fear for this one. Can rarely remember going into a derby feeling like there is a pumping on the cards, even, as someone else said, when there was a bigger gap between the teams..

When you were in the 4th tier.

ETA...you must remember, we played you in the League Cup that season as well. You were winning 2-0 but a mesmerising Mark Yardley solo goal sealed a 3-2 win for us.

Edited by Arch Stanton