20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

Queens Park have been going well and have some decent players so I’ll happily take it. Going 1 down so early and then Leighfield pulling off a good save when I thought it was destined for 2, I feared the worst. A good reaction from the lads with some nice play going forward and even the defence looked a lot more comfortable as the game went on. 

2 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Me too! It wasn't really a "match commentary" in the normal meaning of the term, i.e. commenting on what's actually happening in the game being played in front of them. It was more a sort of stream of consciousness rambling on anything and everything else.

Thought QP were pretty poor tonight. The number of times we gave the ball away was phenomenal. Grant Gillespie was probably our best player.

Can't really agree. As a Spiders fan I thought the commentators were knowledgeable, engaging and relevant. It's always an easy moan for away fans. I also thought we played ok and limited QoS to not very much at all. Yes we were slack defending, but we were under more pressure from Elgin and Stranraer, and the finishing was the difference. Grant Gillespie has been great for us, but this wasn't his best game.

We seem to be top of the group.
Is there a bizarre set of results where we could win the group? Surely not [emoji23]
St Mirren to draw to Morton and get beat by QP combined with Thistle drawing with Morton would see us through [emoji38].

Strange game. Battered Queen of the South for the first quarter, looked really good, and should have been further ahead. Lost a really poor goal from a set piece and another soft one after that. All three goals were actually really soft from our perspective. Poor ball for Baynham for the third and we just let the guy waltz. 

Not too downhearted. A few guys got some more minutes and a few decent performances. Quitongo looked handy and Carroll looks like he'll put himself about. Agree with Spidersmad, I thought Gillespie was our best performer as well. 

Tough one against St Mirren on Saturday. Not sure what sort of side we'll go with. I'd probably go full strength. Hope Slater coming off was just precautionary. Becoming a concerning pattern. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

St Mirren to draw to Morton and get beat by QP combined with Thistle drawing with Morton would see us through emoji38.png.

Also needs Morton to win the shoot out v St.Mirren and Thistle to win the shoot out v Morton.

St Mirren to draw to Morton and get beat by QP combined with Thistle drawing with Morton would see us through [emoji38].

Depending on penalty shootouts those 2 draws could take Morton to 8 points ie if they win both shootouts.

Morton beat St Mirren on pens

Thistle beat Morton on pens

Queen’s Park beat St Mirren.

Would that do it?

4 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Can't really agree. As a Spiders fan I thought the commentators were knowledgeable, engaging and relevant. It's always an easy moan for away fans. I also thought we played ok and limited QoS to not very much at all. Yes we were slack defending, but we were under more pressure from Elgin and Stranraer, and the finishing was the difference. Grant Gillespie has been great for us, but this wasn't his best game.

I think no you'll find it's not only away fans complaining about the commentators. Are you one of the commentators,  they kept constantly mentioning Elgin and Stranraer too. I've no problem with their commentary on the match the problem was they didn't actually commentate on the match very much. It was like two men sitting chatting in a pub and occasionally mentioning a game of football that happens to be on the telly. It's difficult to please everyone I suppose and actually seeing the game with decent camerawork is more important than the commentary, and in that respect the coverage by the Queens Park team was excellent. 

Strange game. Battered Queen of the South for the first quarter, looked really good, and should have been further ahead. Lost a really poor goal from a set piece and another soft one after that. All three goals were actually really soft from our perspective. Poor ball for Baynham for the third and we just let the guy waltz. 
Not too downhearted. A few guys got some more minutes and a few decent performances. Quitongo looked handy and Carroll looks like he'll put himself about. Agree with Spidersmad, I thought Gillespie was our best performer as well. 
Tough one against St Mirren on Saturday. Not sure what sort of side we'll go with. I'd probably go full strength. Hope Slater coming off was just precautionary. Becoming a concerning pattern. 
"Battered" us is a bit extreme. You scored and should have got a second. Out with that our goalkeeper had little to do which is a rarity these days. He did tip another routine one over the bar I'm sure.

Also needs Morton to win the shoot out v St.Mirren and Thistle to win the shoot out v Morton.
Depending on penalty shootouts those 2 draws could take Morton to 8 points ie if they win both shootouts.

Would that do it?
Totally forgot about penalties. Scrap what I said!

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Battered" us is a bit extreme. You scored and should have got a second. Out with that our goalkeeper had little to do which is a rarity these days. He did tip another routine one over the bar I'm sure. Totally forgot about penalties. Scrap what I said!

We hit the bar as well, unless I'm tripping. One pretty much certain goal saved by the keeper, one off the woodwork and another good save from a moving Slater shot in the first quarter of the game, as well as a goal. Fair play to Queen of the South for their reaction. Honestly thought we looked like we were going to go on and win comfortably. 

Guest TOPFITTER

QP could have been 3-0 up but were thwarted, QOS took hold of the game DEFENDED as a team and Looked like scoring more than they got! Given recent games this was a revelation that hopefully bodes well for the league. Nice quick apology from the commentators regarding their early gaff, good camerawork and a special mention to the Tech Support for saving me, they were my Persons of the Match image.png.26d4a88861923a11a4cb3e34dcb82713.png

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

We hit the bar as well, unless I'm tripping. One pretty much certain goal saved by the keeper, one off the woodwork and another good save from a moving Slater shot in the first quarter of the game, as well as a goal. Fair play to Queen of the South for their reaction. Honestly thought we looked like we were going to go on and win comfortably. 

The save from Slaters shot was about as comfortable as you'll see.

There was no battering on show from either side tonight

You did yeah but I thought the 'keeper had it covered. Can't recall feeling worried with it (shot off the bar). I did mention the shot and as Mr X says it was a comfortable save for our GK. You should have been 2-0 up if not for a good save from Leighfield (awful defending of a cross again from us) but I never thought at any point "we should be 3 down here".

1 minute ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I'm not great at following Scottish football outside of Queens - what's Jai Quitongo doing at Queen's Park? Wasn't he a wunderkind a few seasons ago, or did I pick that up wrong?

I think he was disappointing at Morton and Patrick. He then faced some domestic assault charges, though was cleared with a not proven verdict. Still only 23 though, feels like he's been about longer than that.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

They're chuntering on about bowling clubs now. 

You will be gutted we did not use the stat that there are six bowling clubs within a mile radius of Hampden Bowling Club then...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think no you'll find it's not only away fans complaining about the commentators. Are you one of the commentators,  they kept constantly mentioning Elgin and Stranraer too. I've no problem with their commentary on the match the problem was they didn't actually commentate on the match very much. It was like two men sitting chatting in a pub and occasionally mentioning a game of football that happens to be on the telly. It's difficult to please everyone I suppose and actually seeing the game with decent camerawork is more important than the commentary, and in that respect the coverage by the Queens Park team was excellent. 

Thanks for the feedback, and on the commentary, without watching it back, the balance was probably a bit heavy towards the chat side compared to our previous live stream and we will take this on board going forward.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I don't think you ever looked like "battering" us and I don't think it was as long as the "first quarter" either but we certainly started slowly (we could have scored inside the 1st minute but after that it took us about 10 - 15 to get started). We were one down and Leighfield made a terrific save to keep it at one. After that I thought we were well on top. Even before the equaliser we'd taken control and the only look ins you got after that were from a short backpass and an effort onto the top of the bar that was never actually going in. The Slater save was of the "tv" variety.

Agreed though that it could have been 2-0 before we got started and it would have been hard to come back from that. East's goal was a cheap header badly defended. It was like watching us concede from one of the many corners we concede from to be honest. Our 2nd goal was a terrific move. I'm not having it that it was especially soft and we were under no pressure at all second half. The only time you got anywhere was another bad backpass from McKee that Buchanan got back to deal with. By then we'd killed the game anyway.

Surprised we didn't give Dobbie 10 mins at Hampden on what is presumably his farewell season or, failing that, give a few minutes to a couple of youngsters but it was good to see us see out a game with no concerns. I accept Queen's Park are League 2 and also by second half were treating it as a training game with 5 subs, but they have plenty of decent players and are certainly no mugs.

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Would that do it?

I've had a work through. There are a couple of options for us still to win the group though they are clearly long shots and absolutely depend on tomorrow's game having to finish a draw. Any outright 90 minute winner screws us. There is no scenario in which we can be a best runner up even if we actually do finish runner up which is far from certain either. There are 4 groups already guaranteed a better 2nd place than our record.

To win the group we need either of the following:

Option 1 - Morton best St Mirren on penalties, Queen's Park beat St Mirren in 90 minutes AND Partick Thistle beat Morton on penalties.

Option 2 - St Mirren beat Morton on penalties then lose by at least 2 goals to Queen's Park and Thistle v Morton finishes a draw (wouldn't matter who won the penalty shoot out).

Either of those options will see us win the group on goal difference on 7 points.

We may well not finish 2nd of course. We could conceivably still finish 4th if Morton beat St Mirren by a couple but lose to Thistle while St Mirren see off Queen's Park. 3rd still seems our most likely finish. We'll be 3rd if St Mirren take 2 points from their last 2 games and either Thistle beat Morton or Morton beat Thistle by more than they lose to St Mirren by or Morton beat Thistle and get a point off St Mirren.

Even if we get 2nd, groups B, C, D and E are all guaranteed to have a better runner up than us. It is very likely the other three will too.

Edited to add: That last minute goal conceded to St Mirren was incredibly costly. If we'd held on to that 2-1 win we'd have 9 points now and whilst both Morton and St Mirren would have a chance to get above us by winning their two remaining games outright, that would have been a decent ask.

Edited by Skyline Drifter