20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

Sneddon pulled out some big saves today. We looked quite assured at the back which was nice and made it two clean sheets in two, Graham getting sent off is a big downer though. Pleasing performance though and keeping ourselves in it with an outside chance of qualification 

AJ definitely had one eye on Saturday's league opener v Ayr, No Pybus, Mckee Dobbie or East tonight expect all 4 to start on Sat. The result did nothing for either teams chances of progression 3 points were needed... Partick had a very good team & bench for a league 1 side McCall will surely get them promoted, won't he...... 

Strange game. Thistle dominated the opening 15 - 20 mins and should probably have been at least 1 or 2 up. Bit like Morton last Tuesday it took us half of the first half to get started. No idea about the one that may or may not be over the line but if it wasn't we were lucky. I would say that after the initial instant appeals no Thistle player made any serious complaint about it and neither did McCall at the time. Ferguson made a few great saves in that opening spell including one tremendous double stop. Game then evened out a bit and both sides had chances before Graham's complete rush of blood. Like to see it again but it looked an elbow, right in front of the ref, and he utterly lost it afterward, verbally threatening Buchanan and having to be held back. Looked a bad tackle by Docherty shortly afterwards that might have been more than a yellow too?

Second half we had more of the ball and played it about quite nicely without ever really getting much penetration and indeed Thistle could have scored a couple of times on the break with Ferguson making one wonder save to turn one onto the post. In the last 5 mins or so we twice should have clinched it, once when Gibson teed up Maxwell from close range and once when Goss had a free header 6 yards out or so. Once it went to penalties both teams were already effectively out but to be 2-1 up with a "penalty in hand" and manage to lose 3-2 was irritating.

Still, we've gone three group games unbeaten now and might still get 2nd although our fate is outwith our own control in that respect. I'm not going to say we should have won tonight because over the piece Thistle had more chances and our keeper worked harder than theirs but we certainly had chances to win it. We should have won on Saturday and we were the better side for most of the Morton game, certainly for the second half.

We effectively played tonight with probably 4 or 5 first choice players missing and did ok without being fantastically inventive. We have depth in the squad we probably didn't have last year and that will be important when the games are squeezed or players are out with Covid isolations etc. We're effectively out of the cup now but it always looked a long shot to get out of this group and I doubt whoever gets 2nd was ever going to be a best runner up. Predictions that we'd lose all four games are already well wide of the mark. The defence is lacking in depth but the centre backs are starting to look a pretty solid pair. A lot of positives so far. We can focus on the league now.

Shame the live stream went down at 70mins then again at the Penalties, refreshed at 70 and got back on but missed the last few pens (maybe just as well). The live stream seemed to run more smoothly on Sat, hopefully a learning curve before 1st league game. Must say did enjoy live coverage, replays and commentry again tonight when it worked. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Didn’t see all of the game, and missed both the sending off and Docherty incident, but it’s pleasing to hear that we’ve got some players who aren’t the soft shitebags that we’ve been riddled with for the last few years.

Obviously Graham’s red tonight sounds daft and needs to cut that out, but he’s definitely a handful for defenders and will score for fun in the league. I very much like the look of Docherty based on the league cup games I’ve seen him in and he’ll be massively important this season.

2 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Obviously Graham’s red tonight sounds daft and needs to cut that out, but he’s definitely a handful for defenders and will score for fun in the league. I very much like the look of Docherty based on the league cup games I’ve seen him in and he’ll be massively important this season.

Docherty’s been our best player so far this season, by a country mile. Hasn’t put a foot wrong (bar his penalty), and has a real dig about him, based on his performances so far this season (and in the friendlies) I’ll be surprised if there’s a better midfielder in his position in the league this season. 

More positives to take from the game, looking pretty solid defensively (would definitely be starting Brownlie and McKenna vs Clyde), good to see Sneddon bounce back from his clanger against St. Mirren. Graham’s an idiot, and needs to calm himself down a bit, considering he’s now a manager himself. On the other hand, Zak Rudden will now be handed a great chance to start vs Clyde. Foster still doesn’t look fully match fit, wondering if Williamson might start at the weekend instead. 

Fitzpatrick will be a great player for QOTS this season, by far their biggest threat in the match I felt. 

Looks like this group is coming down to the Renfrewshire derby next month. A win for us would put us on eight points and virtually seal qualification.

The only team that could catch us in that event would be Thistle and that would mean us losing to QP on the last day and them beating Morton and a minimum goal difference swing of five.

A draw means we will likely need to beat QP depending on the penalty shoot out results. If Morton win in Paisley (stop laughing at the back there) then they’re in the driving seat.

54 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks like this group is coming down to the Renfrewshire derby next month. A win for us would put us on eight points and virtually seal qualification.

The only team that could catch us in that event would be Thistle and that would mean us losing to QP on the last day and them beating Morton and a minimum goal difference swing of five.

A draw means we will likely need to beat QP depending on the penalty shoot out results. If Morton win in Paisley (stop laughing at the back there) then they’re in the driving seat.

As was always expected in a group of full time sides, attrition was always going to result in 2nd place being unlikely to be one of the four best runners up and that's looking very likely already. All four other sides have already dropped points outside of their St Mirren game. St Mirren, without particularly impressing, have managed 5 pts out of 6 and will win the group if they avoid defeat to Morton almost certainly. The last minute St Mirren equaliser on Saturday changed the dynamic of the whole group. If it doesn't go in we are sitting top on 6 points right now and the group is wide open.

St Mirren should win the group. Thistle can't get more than 8 (and would need to beat Morton to get that). QoS can't get more than 7. Morton can still get 10 in theory, though if they did so they'd win the group and leave St Mirren on 8 at best. There is a scenario where both St Mirren and Morton finish on 9 pts that would involve Morton beating St Mirren on penalties and then beating Thistle in 90 mins but that's pretty unlikely. No other scenario will see the runner up get more than 8 and it's far more likely the runner up will finish with 7 than finish with 9.

From our point of view, if we beat Queen's Park in 90 mins we could still get 2nd, particularly if we do so by a few goals. We'd need Morton to beat Thistle narrowly or on penalties though and then lose to St Mirren. We're not going through with 7 obviously but finishing 2nd is worth extra cash. Even winning last night's shoot out (which we were 2-1 up in with a penalty in hand) would have made us far more likely to get 2nd.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

As was always expected in a group of full time sides, attrition was always going to result in 2nd place being unlikely to be one of the four best runners up and that's looking very likely already. All four other sides have already dropped points outside of their St Mirren game. St Mirren, without particularly impressing, have managed 4 pts out of 6 and will win the group if they avoid defeat to Morton almost certainly.

5 points out of 6 [emoji41]

A draw in our Morton game and them winning on penalties would make things interesting on the last day. We would both go to Glasgow on the 14th on 6 points, us to play Queens Park them to play Thistle. Wonder if their bus could swing off the M8 and pick us up on the way.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

5 points out of 6 emoji41.png

A draw in our Morton game and them winning on penalties would make things interesting on the last day. We would both go to Glasgow on the 14th on 6 points, us to play Queens Park them to play Thistle. Wonder if their bus could swing off the M8 and pick us up on the way.

Sorry, typo, rather than an inability to count but I've fixed it.

This group highlights how important the extra point from the penalty shoot out can be. If we had won the last 2 instead of making an arse of them, we’d be on 6 points with the possibility of getting 9, which might have been enough to get through if finishing second. As it is, we’re out.

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

This group highlights how important the extra point from the penalty shoot out can be. If we had won the last 2 instead of making an arse of them, we’d be on 6 points with the possibility of getting 9, which might have been enough to get through if finishing second. As it is, we’re out.

And if we'd lost the first one we'd be further back. I'm not one who subscribes to the "penalties are a lottery" theory but there's certainly an element of luck at least in them.

Last night was frustrating. When your keeper saves two out of five penalties you should win the shoot out. Albion Rovers and Stranraer had a 30 penalty shoot out last night which only ended after the 29th penalty was missed (or saved, not sure which it was). They had 28 successful kicks in a row first. You should be able to get more than 2 out of 5 whoever takes them. I'm less concerned about St Mirren who scored all their penalties and won accordingly. However, sitting on one more point this morning we'd still be out to all intents and purposes (though better placed for 2nd).

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Albion Rovers and Stranraer had a 30 penalty shoot out last night which only ended after the 29th penalty was missed (or saved, not sure which it was). They had 28 successful kicks in a row first.

Hit the bar. Highest scoring penalty shootout in Scottish football apparently, and the 28 consecutive successful penalties was one short of the world record.

Wee snakey Ray sounded absolutely overjoyed with QPs performance against what was largely a 2nd string team from midfield to attack.

Definitely an impressive first quarter or so but after that I thought we got a foothold in the game and as soon as we brought on our first choice players I thought we pretty much controlled things.

Gillespie was impressive in midfield and obviously Simon Murray will be a great asset when he's back, but I was surprised to see him so happy with the 90 minute performance, mainly because I've never seen the miserable c*nt be happy ever.