20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

Yeah that was pretty rubbish really. Seemed to just grind Queens down second half.
Positives... em. We are really good at penalties. Dundee Utd lost at home to Peterhead so it could have been worse?
Eight points normally enough to get through and our next games are Queens Park and Morton. Win one of them and that should do it.
I think we should win this cup again, why not.

Never looked in much danger of conceding, but really struggled to break Queens down. Not all that convincing, but at least we won.

Shea Gordon ran around doing nothing again, and wasn’t very impressed with Foster before he went off. Penrice had an ok game though, and McKenna/Brownlie didn’t look like total bomb scares the whole time, which was a pleasant change.

2-0 lead blown and yet I feel better after today than I did against Morton. Thought there were far more positives than negatives there. Going forward we looked dangerous, for about 80 minutes we matched a side for fitness who had about a 10 game head start on us, ability/creativity wise we were even and probably the better of the two, we defended well (from open play!) and never looked in much danger.

The negatives - 4 goals conceded this season, all 4 from crosses. How. Fucking. Hard. Is. It? If we don't improve from crosses this season I really am going to burst a blood vessel. It was the biggest issue today, arguably the only one. This week in training, focus solely on defending the fecking things!

We still don't appear to have a central player willing to hold onto the ball. That last 10 minutes could have been seen out easily if someone was willing to hold the ball and dictate the pace. Instead, we just hoofed the ball forward and waited for St Mirren to come back at us.

If we perform like that on a weekly basis and actually learn to defend crosses then I'm a lot more confident of the season ahead.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

What a complete and utter give away that was by Queens - St Mirren created virtually nothing.

McAllister hit the bar, Shaughnessy had a header tipped round the post, Tait shot over from 7 yards, MacPherson nearly won it at the death but for a great save.....

Good game and Saints well-worth the draw I thought. Pleased to see Ilkay back at it though defence not great for the goals. 

Thistle deserved to win in the end. We looked well organised in the first half and there wasn't a huge amount in the game. They upped it and we ran out of steam and it ended up comfortable for them. 

They've had a couple of games against Hearts and one against St Mirren midweek. I think the run outs against a good level of opposition showed a bit. 90 minutes under our belt and we'll hopefully benefit from that on Tuesday night. Next Saturday, of course, is the important one. 

Highlight was the stream. I clicked the link a couple of minutes before kick off expecting to pay.

The stream then started working and I didn’t pay a penny. It then worked fine the entire game, didn’t buffer once. Commentators decent too.

More of this kind of free content.

What does the table look like? Well it all depends on who you choose as a source..

Let's start with all the wrong ones shall we?

Sky Sports:

sky.PNG.0e14206999ae229286e822e732b163ff.PNG

ESPN:

espn.PNG.2ac7e0c3ec4476678e60161ab98d56af.PNG

BBC:

bbc.thumb.PNG.50ab6f6769e49657a9632bfb39713994.PNG

Google:

gg.PNG.3d36fc11859dc7ba3b4a53bd8b561e8e.PNG

..and my particular favourite, BT Sport:

bt.PNG.696cea9b2d8d93ae4e088d6d7d61d8a3.PNG

Of those who managed to actually get it right?

Well Flashscore did..

fs.PNG.bc51878f479fe9ad84d391b6c10fc301.PNG

and so did The Guardian (which surprised me)

guar.PNG.42c565d86782e1603c0dcba8de320c60.PNG

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

2-0 lead blown and yet I feel better after today than I did against Morton. Thought there were far more positives than negatives there. Going forward we looked dangerous, for about 80 minutes we matched a side for fitness who had about a 10 game head start on us, ability/creativity wise we were even and probably the better of the two, we defended well (from open play!) and never looked in much danger.

The negatives - 4 goals conceded this season, all 4 from crosses. How. Fucking. Hard. Is. It? If we don't improve from crosses this season I really am going to burst a blood vessel. It was the biggest issue today, arguably the only one. This week in training, focus solely on defending the fecking things!

We still don't appear to have a central player willing to hold onto the ball. That last 10 minutes could have been seen out easily if someone was willing to hold the ball and dictate the pace. Instead, we just hoofed the ball forward and waited for St Mirren to come back at us.

If we perform like that on a weekly basis and actually learn to defend crosses then I'm a lot more confident of the season ahead.

This.

But they won’t have much time in training to improve as we’re playing on Tuesday night. Also, they had plenty of time last season to work on it and it never got any better.

27 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah that was pretty rubbish really. Seemed to just grind Queens down second half.
Positives... em. We are really good at penalties. Dundee Utd lost at home to Peterhead so it could have been worse?
Eight points normally enough to get through and our next games are Queens Park and Morton. Win one of them and that should do it.
I think we should win this cup again, why not.

In the four seasons of this format, only two teams with eight points have made it through as one of the best four runners up (Morton and East Fife last season). In the other three seasons every best runner up has had at least nine points, and in two of those teams missed out on goal difference despite having nine. Unless you're in a group where everyone cuts each others throats meaning you can top the group with 8, it's highly likely you'd be out with that points total.