20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

That is one of the best / worst own goals I’ve ever seen 🤣

Thistle Guy heads it toward his own goal. Other thistle Guy then airballs it on his own goal line. Comedy stuff, great entertainment.

Oh look there’s another, belter from Connolly.

4-1 and all sorted.

FT 4-1

Third tier club goes to top flight club, puts up a spirited fight but ultimately get humped.
They get the patronising pat on the head we get the 3 points. Job’s a good un.
Couple of good goals from us, the second in particular. Fantastic reverse pass from McAllister and a lovely touch and finish from big Jon.
Hopefully get this group effective wrapped up in Dumfries at the weekend then onto Hampden... where we will play Queens Park.

A less deserved 4-1 you will rarely see. Thought Thistle were decent and have a good squad.

That Obika goal was wonderful, and I could watch the curve on that Connolly finish all day. We're still largely woeful and I don't think 3-5-2 is the answer.

Still, these are basically pre-season games and it's good to get our fitness up.

24 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Erwin does my nut in, very selfish and his first touch is terrible tonight. 

You're probably thinking of the same bit I am... Connolly moves past him on the overlap into the box, in oodles of space, so Erwin switches the other way and twats the ball towards a defender. Nice one Lee.

Probably about the scoreline I’d have expected pre-match. Opposition two levels above and already a handful of games into their season, with us in our first competitive match. Sounds like we actually played ok and the scoreline flattered Saints, though.

Either way, I don’t think this defence are going to be much fun to watch this season. No partnership from our four CBs inspires much confidence, and we all know about Williamson and Penrice’s flaws. I’d imagine there will be lots of goals in our games.

44 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I take it this Tommy boy isn’t a regular on St Mirren TV? He seems to be completely unfamiliar with any of the players. 

He's probably on because he's played for 4 out of the 5 teams in the group (including Thistle :P) the exception being Queen's Park.

Edited by btb

You're probably thinking of the same bit I am... Connolly moves past him on the overlap into the box, in oodles of space, so Erwin switches the other way and twats the ball towards a defender. Nice one Lee.

Yep that was what prompted that post!

To be fair I was slagging off McAllister as well but his pass for Obika’s goal was excellent.

You would hope that Goodwin will finally ditch the 3-5-2 when we look just as frail against a League 1 team. I thought Partick were the better team for most of the game apart from their defending at set pieces.

Played pretty well up until the defensive incidents I thought, and certainly should have scored a couple in the first half. Our defence is going to be some laugh though, the first, third and fourth were absolutely shambolic by all involved. 

Spittal looked good, and Docherty seems like he'll be a good addition. Richard Tait was by far the best player on the pitch though.