20/21 League Cup Group G

Arch Stanton

Belter of a group with great away days - apart from the Greenock shit hole. If only we were allowed to go.

We’ve been knocked out in the group stage 3 of the 4 years it’s been running with only Alan Stubbs managing to get us through.

Surely we won’t go out again...

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Belter of a group with great away days - apart from the Greenock shit hole. If only we were allowed to go.

Every season so far the 2nd seeded team has been away to the top seeded side (us away to PT, Hamilton and Kilmarnock, at home to Dunfermline).

The Morton game should be at SMP.

I think based on previous years, we'll be home to Morton and Partick Thistle and away to QOS and Queen's Park. 

We've got an awful record since the format change and never do well in the group stages, either as we haven't got a squad in place and treat it like pre-season, or we've just changed manager / appointed someone useless. Given the season is underway we should be better placed than the lower league teams. 

We played Thistle in the groups under Jack Ross and got humped 5-0 at Firhill, whilst making Blair Spittal look prolific. We won the league that year too! Less said about the Stubbs team visit to Queen's Park the better, although all the penalty practice paid off in the playoffs!

Edited by flyingscot

The Morton, QoS and QP fixtures should give us a pretty decent idea of where our squad stands. We’ve fared pretty well in this competition since the Betfred Cup was introduced and have always made it past the group stage, and it would be nice for that to continue - although if it means yet another cup draw against the green bigots I’d probably rather not bother.

St Mirren must be heavy favourites to top the group. Even if things were normal you’d expect them to win it, but given they’ll have the additional benefit of an extra couple of months’ match fitness this year, they really should be skooshing this group.

27 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Look at this group compared to the one Ross County got where they are the only full time team. Wooft. We could finish bottom and I'd not be shocked.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t finish bottom.

18 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

St. Mirren should walk this.

They should. Playing against teams which will have gone 7 months between competitive games should be no contest and yet we are shite at qualifying from group stages, I think it's only about 5 or 6 times in the history of the competition.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

They should. Playing against teams which will have gone 7 months between competitive games should be no contest and yet we are shite at qualifying from group stages, I think it's only about 5 or 6 times in the history of the competition.

If they dont win the group then you need a new manager.

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Morton should be a home match for us, hopefully QotS and PT will be the away days.

Format in precious years has been the second seed obviously at home for the seed but also the team that were drawn fourth into the group. Away to the teams drawn third and fifth. The reverse for the second seed. 

5 hours ago, Lex said:

We’ve been knocked out in the group stage 3 of the 4 years it’s been running with only Alan Stubbs managing to get us through.

Surely we won’t go out again...

Wouldn't worry about great away days this early.... 

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Midden to win all their games. If McKinnon isn’t hounded for 90 minutes against us then I’ll be disappointed.

We’re all looking forward to it. I’ll be rating the abuse on a scale of 1-10. 

Some laugh if we burry you lot 🤪